Maui Forums
Update Manager not refreshing every day - Printable Version

+- Maui Forums (https://forums.mauilinux.org)
+-- Forum: Maui Support (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+--- Forum: Installation (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=83)
+--- Thread: Update Manager not refreshing every day (/showthread.php?tid=23961)

Pages: 1 2

Update Manager not refreshing every day - rocky7x - 19th September 2016

Hi,

I noticed that the update manager doesn't refresh the updates every day automatically. As a matter of fact it doesn't do it at all. I forgot about the updates, then remembered to check them after 10 days and was surprised to find hundreds of them. Why isn't it doing it automatically? I checked the settings in it and it is set to do it every day.

Cheers...

RE: Update Manager not refreshing every day - leszek - 19th September 2016

So in preferences by default it is setup to check once a day.
This works fine for me.

The mintupdate-launcher is executed as autostart on every login by default (see /etc/xdg/autostart/mintupdate.desktop)
Make sure that the mintupdate process is running in the background.

RE: Update Manager not refreshing every day - rocky7x - 20th September 2016

Well, I've checked all the settings and I've got it setup similarly. However, I've noticed some strange behavior. When I start the laptop and do the "ps -ef | grep mint" I get the following processes:

Code:
/usr/bin/python /usr/bin/mintupdate-launcher
sh -c /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py
/usr/bin/python2.7 /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py

But then when I start the Update manager and close it, only 1 process remains:

Code:
/usr/bin/python2.7 /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py show

Can this be the reason? Also I cannot see it in the system tray, when there are no updates available - it shows in the tray only when I manually run the refresh and there is some update.

RE: Update Manager not refreshing every day - leszek - 20th September 2016

Yeah it only shows up in tray when there are updates available.

Quote:Can this be the reason?
Shouldn't be the problem as I have the same behavior.

Is there anything logged in ~/.xsession-errors about the mintupdate tool ?

This is the only stuff regarding mintupdate in ~/.xsession-errors:

Code:
kdeinit5: Got EXEC_NEW '/usr/bin/mintupdate-launcher' from launcher.
kdeinit5: preparing to launch '/usr/bin/mintupdate-launcher'
mintUpdate: no process found
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py:2047: GtkWarning: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "adwaita",
(mintUpdate.py:2000): libglade-WARNING **: unknown attribute `swapped' for <signal>.
(mintUpdate.py:2000): libglade-WARNING **: unknown attribute `swapped' for <signal>.
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py:2076: GtkWarning: Theme directory base/ of theme oxygen has no size field
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py:2047: GtkWarning: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "adwaita",
kde.xembedsniproxy: Resizing window 94371844 "mintUpdate.py" from w*h QSize(200, 200)
kde.xembedsniproxy: Skip transparent xembed icon for 94371844 "mintUpdate.py"
kde.xembedsniproxy: No xembed icon for 94371844 "mintUpdate.py"
(mintUpdate.py:2542): libglade-WARNING **: unknown attribute `swapped' for <signal>.
(mintUpdate.py:2542): libglade-WARNING **: unknown attribute `swapped' for <signal>.

Maybe the first 3 lines are a bit odd, but if you have them as well, then I am clueless...

RE: Update Manager not refreshing every day - leszek - 20th September 2016

Looks pretty much the same for me.
I am also out of ideas now.

Quote:kde.xembedsniproxy: Resizing window 94371844 "mintUpdate.py" from w*h QSize(200, 200)
kde.xembedsniproxy: Skip transparent xembed icon for 94371844 "mintUpdate.py"
kde.xembedsniproxy: No xembed icon for 94371844 "mintUpdate.py"
This btw. is clearly an indicator that it creates a tray icon for you as mintUpdate still uses the old xembed and I have basically the same output on my machine.

OK, there is a log file in the Update manager (in the upper menu View -> Information), that shows what it is doing. So I will follow it for a few days and see whether it checks for updates every day (since I use sleep and do not restart the laptop). Then I'll come back with results.

RE: Update Manager not refreshing every day - rocky7x - 28th September 2016

Hi,

So I've followed the mintupdate for a few days and indeed no refresh of updates. I've been checking the timestamp of its log files, they haven't changed since 20th of September, since when I resumed the PC from sleep at least 3 times for a full work day. Just to be sure that there were some updates available, I started up the update manager today, hit manual refresh and indeed it picked up a few updates (and they haven't been released just today, because on my other laptop they were available for a longer time already). Therefore I can say for sure that when using the sleep function and not restarting the PC for a longer time, the update manager doesn't refresh the updates. Nothing of interest in .xsession-errors either.

RE: Update Manager not refreshing every day - leszek - 28th September 2016

We will investigate this issue.

RE: Update Manager not refreshing every day - bartali - 19th October 2016

It seems that i'm facing the same problem.
Today i started the update manager to see if there are any updates and it said my system is up to date. Also got no update message in the systray.
After a "sudo apt-get update" in terminal i started update manager again and got the recent updates.