Maui Forums
Netrunner Desktop vs Maui - Printable Version

+- Maui Forums (https://forums.mauilinux.org)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: General Talk (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=80)
+--- Thread: Netrunner Desktop vs Maui (/showthread.php?tid=24053)

Netrunner Desktop vs Maui - rocky7x - 24th October 2016

Hi,

I've just seen the introduction of Netrunner Core and mention of Netrunner Desktop. The only difference I can see is that while Maui is based on Ubuntu, Netrunner Desktop is based on Debian Stable. But since Ubuntu is also based on Debian, there is little difference I would guess. So what is the real use case difference between the 2 systems? When should I choose Maui and when Netrunner Desktop?

RE: Netrunner Desktop vs Maui - d0pefish - 26th October 2016

I havent tested out the new netrunner yet but i think its still using an older 5.7.5 plasma and seems to have a cool exclusive start menu.. Id guess that one difference would probably be that it would be more focused on stability so it would take much longer to get the latest kde packages where as maui does a great job of trying to blend the two.

RE: Netrunner Desktop vs Maui - leszek - 26th October 2016

This start menu called simple menu is also included in Maui but not enabled by default. Just take a look at the alternatives in the context menu.

RE: Netrunner Desktop vs Maui - rocky7x - 26th October 2016

I would like to clear this decision-making question for myself: when should I use Netrunner based on Debian and when Maui base on Ubuntu LTS? Can you please give a simple answer? Is Netrunner going to be more conservative than Maui or more stable since based on Debian?

RE: Netrunner Desktop vs Maui - starbuck - 26th October 2016

Netrunner Debian is likely for more experienced users, since it lacks ppas, no simple driver manager, etc. but still is capable of doing a modern desktop via our own Plasma packages. Since we deliberatly chose "Stable", its arguably the slowest moving target. That is why we also start with offering a Core version, because it is suited for different usescases, like e.g. computers who just need an easy GUI for administration once in a while but may be used otherwise more for server oriented tasks instead.

Netrunner will likely expand in that direction with even more specialized usescases and tailored ISOs around that.

Maui is arguably easier since Ubuntu goodies, hence preferred by users new to Linux, users who like the Ubuntu benefits, eventually because of Snappy packages, etc.

Maui=everyday desktop home users

Netrunner=more specialized or restrcited usescases, could be good for mum and dad scenarious who dont even need ppas or care for slightly older package versions

RE: Netrunner Desktop vs Maui - rocky7x - 27th October 2016

THANKS A MILLION starbuck, you finally cleared up the use case scenarios for me Big Grin Good job with such a separation of Netrunner and Maui, it indeed sounds very logical and practical.

RE: Netrunner Desktop vs Maui - Sigurd - 27th October 2016

Hi all,
Very interesting. But where does Kubuntu fit in here? I think now Maui, Netrunner and Kubuntu are maintained by Developers via Blue Systems GmbH.

I started with Kubuntu. But after the principal developer left Kubuntu because of argues with Canonical it became a very bad running OS. Therefore I changed to Netrunner 16 later 17. And today I am working with Maui.

Kind regards,
Sigurd

RE: Netrunner Desktop vs Maui - starbuck - 27th October 2016

Hi Sigurd,

Blue Systems does support Kubuntu only with some infrastructure, but no longer any personelles.
On the other hand Blue Systems supports some of the KDE Neon staff, so the mixture is now Netrunner, Maui and Neon, which should explain your question.