Maui Forums
Unable to drag windows except from titlebar - Printable Version

+- Maui Forums (https://forums.mauilinux.org)
+-- Forum: Maui Support (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+--- Forum: Plasma Desktop (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=84)
+--- Thread: Unable to drag windows except from titlebar (/showthread.php?tid=24057)

Unable to drag windows except from titlebar - Chelle - 25th October 2016

So after trying Maui out for a while on virtualbox, I decided to go ahead and install it as a dual-boot on my macbook. Smile I am running into a few small problems though. Nothing major so far, thankfully.

One is that the drag windows settings don't seem to be working. It doesn't matter what I choose (drag only from title bar; drag from title, menu & whateverotherbar; or drag from anywhere on the screen), only dragging from the title bars works.

I'm choosing the settings in Widget Style - Oxygen - configure. I don't know if there's another place where I need to select this also? When I was running it in virtualbox, it worked perfectly - but I was also still using 5.7.3. I don't know if that makes the difference or not.

I've tried choosing another theme. Going back to the original. Reselecting the various options. Rebooting... I don't know what else to do, and not being able to move windows is extremely annoying. I've installed the 'No Decoration' window decoration theme from Get New Decorations, because being a mac user, all those bars on top my windows are somewhat bothersome. This way, if I can't have my universal menu bar, at least, there's not so much stuff cluttering up the screen.

But it doesn't help to choose one with title bars - dragging from anywhere else on the window still doesn't work.

Any ideas? I am, sadly, clueless.

RE: Unable to drag windows except from titlebar - leszek - 25th October 2016

Quote:I'm choosing the settings in Widget Style - Oxygen - configure.
By default we use breeze. Did you configure it there too ?

The config file breezerc in ~/.config can also be manually edited. Under the Category [Style] you can remove the config WindowDragMode=WD_NONE which then should default to move a window from every free field of the window.
Hope that works for you.

RE: Unable to drag windows except from titlebar - Chelle - 26th October 2016

Thank you. Smile

I hadn't configured breeze, but I did now. And I edited that config file also. It sort of helped. Smile Some windows will drag and others will not. I started going through the default apps to see, but didn't do them all. Here's a list of the ones I checked, if it will help any.

Drags properly, according to configuration of both breeze and oxygen:
kwrite, ark, audacious, chess, dolphin, gimp, gmusicbrowser, gwenview, infocenter, k3b & karbon.

Will not drag from anywhere except the title bar no matter what configuration is chosen.
krita, firefox, synaptic manager, burger space, discover, frozen bubbles, spectacle, gtron, gnudoQ, handbrake, kamoso.

It doesn't matter which theme I choose, either. If I set everything as Breeze, it still acts like this.

I googled a bit, but oddly, the only similar problems I found were the opposite - people having trouble because firefox etc. would drag when they didn't want it to.

RE: Unable to drag windows except from titlebar - Chelle - 26th October 2016

I've discovered that I can have my cake and eat it too - if not quite so conveniently as when the settings work the way they're supposed to. Wink
If I put my cursor right on the top line of the window frame, the cursor will enlarge a tiny bit and will pretend it is a titlebar, and I can drag the window around. I am greatly relieved.
It hasn't fixed the underlying problem - of my settings not being recognized & followed - but at least, it works.

RE: Unable to drag windows except from titlebar - fanisatt - 27th October 2016

I don't know if you have seen in the system settings the "Other" tab at the bottom. If you click there you will see (left side) an option between others named "Windows Behaviour". You have to see it. Anyway , I think you can move any window pressing Alt+Left click or resize it pressing Alt+Right Click.

RE: Unable to drag windows except from titlebar - Chelle - 27th October 2016

Awesome, thank you! I was looking for that functionality when trying to figure this out, but couldn't find it.

RE: Unable to drag windows except from titlebar - fanisatt - 28th October 2016

(27th October 2016, 22:17)Chelle Wrote: Awesome, thank you!  I was looking for that functionality when trying to figure this out, but couldn't find it.

Your welcome my friend !