Maui Forums
Maui 2.0 Installer issues - Printable Version

+- Maui Forums (https://forums.mauilinux.org)
+-- Forum: Maui Support (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+--- Forum: Installation (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=83)
+--- Thread: Maui 2.0 Installer issues (/showthread.php?tid=24065)

Maui 2.0 Installer issues - makraiz - 29th October 2016

Hello, I am a new user to Maui.  I started using Maui just a couple of days ago and really enjoyed it thus far.  I wanted to install it on my laptop at work, and downloaded the Maui 2.0 ISO & attempted an install.  The installer said it had completed and I left the box checked to restart the system.  On boot, no OS was detected.  I repeated this process and had the same results.  I still had a copy of 1.0 and tried that, and it worked fine, and I was able to upgrade through the command line.  When I got home from work, I wanted to see if it was isolated to that machine, and downloaded 2.0, installed it... once again same results.  I should note that the laptop I installed 2.0 on at home is the same brand and similar model to the one at work, so if you can't duplicate this issue, then it's probably a shared hardware issue between the two laptops.  

Anyways I'm fine w/ using the 1.0 and upgrading on both systems, I do not need further support.  I thought you guys should know, however, because if that was my first experience with Maui I would be quite disappointed.  If you require more information please let me know, I don't mind performing further tests if you would like also.

RE: Maui 2.0 Installer - leszek - 29th October 2016

As we switched the installer it might be that this is causing the issue for you.
It would be very nice of you if you could try installing again by executing the installer from the terminal by entering
pkexec calamares -d which should give debug output on the terminal. Please log this output to a text file while installing and attach it here in this forum thread so we and also the developers of calamares(the new installer) can take a look

RE: Maui 2.0 Installer - makraiz - 29th October 2016

(29th October 2016, 9:42)leszek Wrote: As we switched the installer it might be that this is causing the issue for you.
It would be very nice of you if you could try installing again by executing the installer from the terminal by entering
pkexec calamares -d which should give debug output on the terminal. Please log this output to a text file while installing and attach it here in this forum thread so we and also the developers of calamares(the new installer) can take a look

Ok, I ran 'pkexec calamares -d > installlog.txt' & attached it here.  The only thing I've done differently, is I did not leave the box to restart the computer at the end of the install checked.  I will update this post in a moment after a restart to confirm if I have had another failed boot.  

Update: Yes, it was another failed boot. Hopefully, whatever is causing the issue can be found in the log file.

RE: Maui 2.0 Installer - wonder - 29th October 2016

makraiz, a question, you install in UEFI or Legacy mode?

RE: Maui 2.0 Installer - makraiz - 30th October 2016

(29th October 2016, 22:55)wonder Wrote: makraiz, a question, you install in UEFI or Legacy mode?

Boot mode is currently set to Legacy on my laptop at home.  I won't be able to check the laptop at work until Monday, but I believe it is the same.  

Update: I just checked the software I used to create the image, and it uses UEFI to load.

RE: Maui 2.0 Installer - wonder - 30th October 2016

Sorry if I don't understand you very well or I can't explain very well.

When you indicate the software that you used to create the image, is for "burn" the Maui 2 image to a usb pen? If it's yes, not, isn't relevant because the installer of Maui 2 can install in legacy mode or uefi.

But if you are install in uefi mode, please, check this:

I read in your install log that, you install Maui 2 in SSD with 220 gb, you select automatic partition?
If its yes, I think that, you need a partition for uefi boot.
Please, install again but in this case, partition manually:

First, when the installer are in partition, the first, create new partition table, select uefi.
Then, create this partitions:

The first partition, 512mb in fat32 (you can create this partition with less mb), mount point: /boot/efi and important, set flag "esp".
Second partition, 30gb EXT4 and mount point /
Third partition, all disk space have free, EXT4 and mount point /home.

In your installation you have a partition with 16GB for swap, if your laptop have 16gb of RAM, I think you don't need a swap because you have a lot of ram.

My tower have 8GB of ram, and I don't create a swap.

I hope to help you.

RE: Maui 2.0 Installer - makraiz - 31st October 2016

(30th October 2016, 1:36)wonder Wrote: Sorry if I don't understand you very well or I can't explain very well.

When you indicate the software that you used to create the image, is for "burn" the Maui 2 image to a usb pen? If it's yes, not, isn't relevant because the installer of Maui 2 can install in legacy mode or uefi.

But if you are install in uefi mode, please, check this:

I read in your install log that, you install Maui 2 in SSD with 220 gb, you select automatic partition?
If its yes, I think that, you need a partition for uefi boot.
Please, install again but in this case, partition manually:

First, when the installer are in partition, the first, create new partition table, select uefi.
Then, create this partitions:

The first partition, 512mb in fat32 (you can create this partition with less mb), mount point: /boot/efi and important, set flag "esp".
Second partition, 30gb EXT4 and mount point /
Third partition, all disk space have free, EXT4 and mount point /home.

In your installation you have a partition with 16GB for swap, if your laptop have 16gb of RAM, I think you don't need a swap because you have a lot of ram.

My tower have 8GB of ram, and I don't create a swap.

I hope to help you.

Though the answer to your question was yes, following this solution ended up with the same unfortunate results.  

RE: Maui 2.0 Installer - makraiz - 3rd November 2016

Just thought I would post an update since it has been a few days. Try as I might, I can not get the Calamares installer to create a booting partition.

After several attempts at different configurations, I've reverted to installing Maui 1 & upgrading.

I would recommend the same to anyone else who is encountering this issue.

RE: Maui 2.0 Installer - rocky7x - 3rd November 2016

During the pre-install setup process, when you manually create partitions, there is a possibility to check the boot flag for the partition where / is mounted. Have you tried that?

RE: Maui 2.0 Installer issues - makraiz - 28th May 2017

Just wanted to update that this issue persists in maui-1793-64bit as well, at least in my case.

With these results I've decided to remove Maui from my laptop entirely. Hopefully it will be fixed in the future, I may check back with future releases.