Maui Forums
VIDEO ISSUES? - Printable Version

+- Maui Forums (https://forums.mauilinux.org)
+-- Forum: Maui Support (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+--- Forum: Plasma Desktop (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=84)
+--- Thread: VIDEO ISSUES? (/showthread.php?tid=24124)

VIDEO ISSUES? - PinStripe - 22nd November 2016

Ever since the last update... I have been experiencing a lot of flickering video and then stuff doesn't work right.
So, I have to reboot. This was happening before, but not a lot. Now it's happening a lot!

What is the deal?

I am using an ATI card. Not sure of the model.
MSI motherboard with 16 gigs mem and an SSD.

RE: VIDEO ISSUES? - fanisatt - 22nd November 2016

As a Linux user for many years I have installed some Ubuntu based OSs and some others (like Fedora - Corora - PC Linux OS etc) to different computers or to the same multiboot computer, but always with NVIDIA graphics cards and the appropriate and recommended linux drivers (GT 710 - 9500 GT and an older one years ago).
Regarding to the above reported issue (screen flickering) I have generally noticed a "long term" point of difference between the Ubuntu based OSs and the others.
Surely , it is a subjective estimation.....
I think that the others have an advantage in this field of graphics quality and I don't know why !
When I say "graphics quality" I mean a "better feeling" watching the same video or playing the same version of a game (like SuperTuxKart) with the same user settings on the same hardware with different OSs.
Sometimes it is more than a better feeling.....!!!!

RE: VIDEO ISSUES? - leszek - 22nd November 2016

Which AMD card are you using exactly?
Did you try turning off the desktop effects to try out if it improves stuff (Alt+Shift+F12 toggles between off and on of desktop effects).

RE: VIDEO ISSUES? - PinStripe - 24th November 2016

(22nd November 2016, 11:03)leszek Wrote: Which AMD card are you using exactly?
Did you try turning off the desktop effects to try out if it improves stuff (Alt+Shift+F12 toggles between off and on of desktop effects).

You mean, ATI? I have an ATI graphics card.

Nothing happens when depressing the above keys.

RE: VIDEO ISSUES? - leszek - 24th November 2016

AMD bought ATI so yeah doesn't really matter if I call them ATI or AMD cards here.

Also Alt+Shift+F12 does nothing for you at all or simply disabling the effects does not help solving the issue?

RE: VIDEO ISSUES? - PinStripe - 24th November 2016

(24th November 2016, 10:57)leszek Wrote: AMD bought ATI so yeah doesn't really matter if I call them ATI or AMD cards here.

Also Alt+Shift+F12 does nothing for you at all or simply disabling the effects does not help solving the issue?

The keys all depressed at the same time, do nothing.

RE: VIDEO ISSUES? - leszek - 24th November 2016

That is strange as they should toggle between effects off and on

RE: VIDEO ISSUES? - AJSlye - 24th November 2016

The difference between on and off may not be noticeable depending on the opengl / xrender settings.