Maui Forums
kalarm broken package - Printable Version

+- Maui Forums (https://forums.mauilinux.org)
+-- Forum: Maui Support (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+--- Forum: Software & Applications (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=77)
+--- Thread: kalarm broken package (/showthread.php?tid=24174)

kalarm broken package - monteleo - 16th December 2016

I cannot install kalarm:

> sudo apt-get install kalarm

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
kalarm : Depends: libkf5libkdepim5 (= 4:15.12.3-0ubuntu1) but 4:16.08.2-0neon+16.04+build14 is to be installed
Depends: libkf5pimcommon5 (= 4:15.12.3-0ubuntu1) but 4:16.08.2-0neon+16.04+build11 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Any idea how to fix it?
Thank you

RE: kalarm broken package - leszek - 16th December 2016

Not supported atm. Might change in the future with the backports repos.

RE: kalarm broken package - kdemeoz - 19th December 2016

This surprises me. I use it all the time; it's great, & seems to work as well for me in Maui as it did in Mint 17.3 KDE4.

RE: kalarm broken package - kdemeoz - 26th December 2016

(19th December 2016, 2:48)kdemeoz Wrote: This surprises me. I use it all the time; it's great, & seems to work as well for me in Maui as it did in Mint 17.3 KDE4.

Hmmm, well, my previous post certainly does not tell the full story. It IS entirely accurate for my Tower, whose kalarm really does continue to work as well in Maui as it used to do in Mint KDE4. However, as per several older posts of mine elsewhere in these fora, my Tower's Maui was NOT a clean installation; whilst / was formatted & Maui installed therein, my separate encrypted /home partition was deliberately NOT formatted, ie, Tower's Maui's /home now has a mixture of Maui user config files, but also legacy Mint 17.3 KDE4 user config files. I now suspect that the latter is the only reason that Tower's kalarm still works for me in Maui.

Conversely, over recent weeks i have been rebuilding my Lappy [also used to have Mint 17.3 KDE4]. As per another thread i [briefly] dabbled with it as dual-boot Mint 18 Xfce + Maui, but in the past couple of days i gave up on that & began again; it is now completely Maui 2.1, & was a clean installation -- it has no remnants of anything from Mint KDE4. Sadly, in this build, whilst i was still able to install kalarm, it is simply unusable. I cannot create any alarms. Each time i do, a frustrating dialog pops up; "Sorry - KAlarm. You must select a calendar to save the alarm in". I've not found a way to solve this.

This is so disappointing, not only for my Lappy, but because i am now very close to deciding to rebuild my Tower again with this time a completely clean installation of Maui [to hopefully eliminate a number of weird unpleasant Maui behaviour faults that no other users here seem to have, & which i thus suspect might be caused by some legacy KDE4 files] -- I like kalarm a lot & use it a lot, so knowing that if i do rebuild Tower i will lose kalarm there too just like Lappy, is a bit upsetting.

RE: kalarm broken package - kdemeoz - 30th December 2016

To the OP -- i can't understand how/why your attempt to install KAlarm was foiled by dependency errors, as i've now been able to install it successfully, easily [ie, no dependency errors] in 3 instances of Maui. Good luck.

To leszek -- i'm very happy to report, for the benefit of anyone to whom this might be of interest, the solution to being able to properly create, store & use new alarms in KAlarm in clean-installed Maui. I wrote to the KAlarm Dev [David], who kindly helped me. Following i quote his advice:
Quote:There is a fix in KDE Applications 16.08.3 for what you're seeing. The problem is that KAlarm does not create its default calendars when it is first run. However, with the version you have, you can get round this by creating the calendars yourself, as follows:

In the KAlarm menu, choose View -> Show Calendars.
In the Calendars pane, click Add. Then choose the storage method - just choose KAlarm Calendar File if you don't care how alarms are stored.
In the dialog which then appears, enter
* Filename: ~/.local/share/kalarm/calendar.ics
* Name: Active alarms
* Alarm Types: Active Alarms
Click OK.

Similarly set up an archived alarm calendar, but with
* Filename: ~/.local/share/kalarm/expired.ics
* Name: Archived alarms
* Alarm Types: Archived Alarms

If you use alarm templates, similarly set up a templates calendar:
* Filename: ~/.local/share/kalarm/template.ics
* Name: Alarm templates
* Alarm Types: Alarm Templates

KAlarm author

Pls note this additional info of my own, based on my testing today:
Quote:1. After installing KAlarm, if you find any ~/.local/share/kalarm/ pre-existing *.ics files especially if read-only, delete them. They might or might not show in Dolphin, but will still be a problem if visible in the KAlarm GUI calendar pane. Remove them before creating the new ones.
2. The new files created as a result of Dev David's instructions, manifested in KAlarm GUI Tooltips as "disabled", which i incorrectly interpreted as implying these files were defective. In fact, it was simply that they had not yet been selected/activated in the GUI -- doh!

So all i did today was to remove all those calendars, in the GUI, then repeat his instructions, including this time to ensure that those new cals were activated. Thereafter... no more error msg once i created & saved new alarms. Yay!!!

Unfortunately it's not all yet perfect. Every attempt i made to export my existing, good, alarms from one pc, in order to [i'd hoped] import them into KAlarm in my other pc, failed with an error msg... it was unhelpful, saying only that it could not export, but not saying why. Whilst that's not great, my need to export is non-essential, whereas being able to create & use alarms is... hence, on balance, i'm happy.