Maui Forums
Akonadi will not start therefore Kmail wont' work [SOLVED] - Printable Version

+- Maui Forums (https://forums.mauilinux.org)
+-- Forum: Maui Support (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+--- Forum: Software & Applications (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=77)
+--- Thread: Akonadi will not start therefore Kmail wont' work [SOLVED] (/showthread.php?tid=24180)

Akonadi will not start therefore Kmail wont' work [SOLVED] - Zelator57 - 20th December 2016

I have tried a variety of solutions, none successful. Running akonadictl fsck for about seven hours had no effect.

Code:
Akonadi Server Self-Test Report
===============================

Test 1:  SUCCESS
--------

Database driver found.
Details: The QtSQL driver 'QMYSQL' is required by your current Akonadi server configuration and was found on your system.

File content of '/home/andy/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc':
[%General]
Driver=QMYSQL

[QMYSQL]
Host=
Name=akonadi
Options=
ServerPath=/usr/sbin/mysqld-akonadi
StartServer=false

Test 2:  SUCCESS
--------

Akonadi is not running as root
Details: Akonadi is not running as a root/administrator user, which is the recommended setup for a secure system.

Test 3:  SKIP
--------

MySQL server executable not tested.
Details: The current configuration does not require an internal MySQL server.

Test 4:  SKIP
--------

MySQL server error log not tested.

Test 5:  SKIP
--------

MySQL server configuration not tested.

Test 6:  SUCCESS
--------

akonadictl found and usable
Details: The program '/usr/bin/akonadictl' to control the Akonadi server was found and could be executed successfully.
Result:
Akonadi 5.3.2

Test 7:  ERROR
--------

Akonadi control process not registered at D-Bus.
Details: The Akonadi control process is not registered at D-Bus which typically means it was not started or encountered a fatal error during startup.

Test 8:  ERROR
--------

Akonadi server process not registered at D-Bus.
Details: The Akonadi server process is not registered at D-Bus which typically means it was not started or encountered a fatal error during startup.

Test 9:  SKIP
--------

Protocol version check not possible.
Details: Without a connection to the server it is not possible to check if the protocol version meets the requirements.

Test 10:  ERROR
--------

No resource agents found.
Details: No resource agents have been found, Akonadi is not usable without at least one. This usually means that no resource agents are installed or that there is a setup problem. The following paths have been searched: '/usr/share/akonadi/agents'. The XDG_DATA_DIRS environment variable is set to '/usr/share/default-settings/plasma5-profile:/usr/share//usr/share/xsessions/plasma:/usr/local/share/:/usr/share/:/var/lib/snapd/desktop'; make sure this includes all paths where Akonadi agents are installed.

Directory listing of '/usr/share/akonadi/agents':
akonadiindexingagent.desktop
akonotesresource.desktop
archivemailagent.desktop
birthdaysresource.desktop
contactsresource.desktop
davgroupwareresource.desktop
followupreminder.desktop
googlecalendarresource.desktop
googlecontactsresource.desktop
icaldirresource.desktop
icalresource.desktop
imapresource.desktop
invitationsagent.desktop
kalarmdirresource.desktop
kalarmresource.desktop
kolabresource.desktop
maildirresource.desktop
maildispatcheragent.desktop
mailfilteragent.desktop
mboxresource.desktop
migrationagent.desktop
mixedmaildirresource.desktop
newmailnotifieragent.desktop
notesagent.desktop
notesresource.desktop
openxchangeresource.desktop
pop3resource.desktop
sendlateragent.desktop
tomboynotesresource.desktop
vcarddirresource.desktop
vcardresource.desktop

Environment variable XDG_DATA_DIRS is set to '/usr/share/default-settings/plasma5-profile:/usr/share//usr/share/xsessions/plasma:/usr/local/share/:/usr/share/:/var/lib/snapd/desktop'

Test 11:  SUCCESS
--------

No current Akonadi server error log found.
Details: The Akonadi server did not report any errors during its current startup.

Test 12:  ERROR
--------

Previous Akonadi server error log found.
Details: The Akonadi server reported errors during its previous startup. The log can be found in <a href="/home/andy/.local/share/akonadi/akonadiserver.error.old">/home/andy/.local/share/akonadi/akonadiserver.error.old</a>.

File content of '/home/andy/.local/share/akonadi/akonadiserver.error.old':
Failed to use database "akonadi"Database error: "Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2) QMYSQL: Unable to connect"Failed to connect to database!Database error: "Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2) QMYSQL: Unable to connect"QSqlDatabasePrivate::removeDatabase: connection 'initConnection' is still in use, all queries will cease to work.Failed to remove Unix socketFailed to remove runtime connection config file

Test 13:  SUCCESS
--------

No current Akonadi control error log found.
Details: The Akonadi control process did not report any errors during its current startup.

Test 14:  ERROR
--------

Previous Akonadi control error log found.
Details: The Akonadi control process reported errors during its previous startup. The log can be found in <a href="/home/andy/.local/share/akonadi/akonadi_control.error.old">/home/andy/.local/share/akonadi/akonadi_control.error.old</a>.

File content of '/home/andy/.local/share/akonadi/akonadi_control.error.old':
Unable to register service as "org.freedesktop.Akonadi.Control.lock" Maybe it's already running?

/home/andy/.local/share/akonadi/akonadiserver.error.old contains:

Code:
Failed to use database "akonadi"Database error: "Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2) QMYSQL: Unable to connect"Failed to connect to database!Database error: "Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2) QMYSQL: Unable to connect"QSqlDatabasePrivate::removeDatabase: connection 'initConnection' is still in use, all queries will cease to work.Failed to remove Unix socketFailed to remove runtime connection config file

Code:
andy@andy-maui:~$ akonadictl status

Akonadi Control: stopped
Akonadi Server: stopped
Akonadi Server Search Support: available (Remote Search)
Available Agent Types: akonadi_akonotes_resource, akonadi_archivemail_agent, akonadi_birthdays_resource, akonadi_contacts_resource, akonadi_davgroupware_resource, akonadi_followupreminder_agent, akonadi_googlecalendar_resource, akonadi_googlecontacts_resource, akonadi_ical_resource, akonadi_icaldir_resource, akonadi_imap_resource, akonadi_indexing_agent, akonadi_invitations_agent, akonadi_kalarm_dir_resource, akonadi_kalarm_resource, akonadi_kolab_resource, akonadi_maildir_resource, akonadi_maildispatcher_agent, akonadi_mailfilter_agent, akonadi_mbox_resource, akonadi_migration_agent, akonadi_mixedmaildir_resource, akonadi_newmailnotifier_agent, akonadi_notes_agent, akonadi_notes_resource, akonadi_openxchange_resource, akonadi_pop3_resource, akonadi_sendlater_agent, akonadi_tomboynotes_resource, akonadi_vcard_resource, akonadi_vcarddir_resource

and:

Code:
andy@andy-maui:~$ akonadictl start

andy@andy-maui:~$ Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
log_akonadiserver: Failed to use database "akonadi"
log_akonadiserver: Database error: "Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2) QMYSQL: Unable to connect"
log_akonadiserver: Failed to connect to database!
log_akonadiserver: Database error: "Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2) QMYSQL: Unable to connect"
QSqlDatabasePrivate::removeDatabase: connection 'initConnection' is still in use, all queries will cease to work.
log_akonadiserver: Failed to remove Unix socket
log_akonadiserver: Failed to remove runtime connection config file
log_akonadicontrol: Application 'akonadiserver' exited normally...

There is frequent mention of MySQL, but we seem to be using mariadb. My efforts so far screwed everything up so badly I had to re-install Maui.

Is this fixable or do I need to migrate to Thunderbird?

RE: Akonadi will not start therefore Kmail wont' work - leszek - 20th December 2016

The only error message I see here that indicates what is going on that the MySQL Server is not running or cannot be connected to. (it doesn't matter if mariadb or mysql)
The problem is that we don't know why that happens as there is nothing in the logs about it.

What you could try to test is moving the database files somewhere else (rename it) and start with a fresh new one. If that works then we know that there is something wrong with the database itself.
If the fsck (yes that can run for several hours depending on the size of the db) fails on that database it is so corrupt that it cannot be restored or repaired.

RE: Akonadi will not start therefore Kmail wont' work - Pliny.D.Elder - 20th December 2016

Someone will let you know if this OK.
Took a look at my kubuntu and in ~/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc it reads

StartServer=true

You can changing that if it reads false

reboot

then akonadictl start

RE: Akonadi will not start therefore Kmail wont' work - leszek - 20th December 2016

Won't make a difference as it was already tried to start akonadi but that failed with the above error.

RE: Akonadi will not start therefore Kmail wont' work - Pliny.D.Elder - 20th December 2016

ok worked for me

RE: Akonadi will not start therefore Kmail wont' work - XC-DH_Oldie - 20th December 2016

(20th December 2016, 12:56)Pliny.D.Elder Wrote: ok worked for me

it works for me too, my "akonadiserverrc"

1   [Debug]
  3   Tracer=null
  5   [%General]
  6   Driver=QMYSQL
  8  [QMYSQL]
  9  Host=
10  Name=akonadi
11  Options="UNIX_SOCKET=/tmp/akonadi-ralf.VkauRz/mysql.socket"
12  ServerPath=/usr/sbin/mysqld-akonadi
13  StartServer=true

RE: Akonadi will not start therefore Kmail won't work [SOLVED] - Zelator57 - 20th December 2016

And it worked for me! So simple. I only had to reboot and Akonadi was running, no need for the " akonadictl start". Kontact comes up sweet as a nut.

Though i wonder why, all it looks like it is doing is its own "akonadictl start". Must be more to it than that.

Thanks guys!

Wow. Yeah something I did not expect, as akonadictl start should also start the MySQL Server and that is basically the command that is run.
Hmm... anyhow. We also provide a plasma services module that allows activating the akonadi services. This should also set the startServer to true.

Can you mark this thread as solved by editing your original posts title and add [solved] to it.

RE: Akonadi will not start therefore Kmail wont' work [SOLVED] - Zelator57 - 20th December 2016

(20th December 2016, 16:31)leszek Wrote: Wow. Yeah something I did not expect, as akonadictl start should also start the MySQL Server and that is basically the command that is run.
Hmm... anyhow. We also provide a plasma services module that allows activating the akonadi services. This should also set the startServer to true.

Can you mark this thread as solved by editing your original posts title and add [solved] to it.

I did try the plasma services module but it had no effect.