Maui Forums
[Solved] - Desktop icons glitch (plasama 5.8.4) - Printable Version

+- Maui Forums (https://forums.mauilinux.org)
+-- Forum: Maui Support (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+--- Forum: Plasma Desktop (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=84)
+--- Thread: [Solved] - Desktop icons glitch (plasama 5.8.4) (/showthread.php?tid=24234)

[Solved] - Desktop icons glitch (plasama 5.8.4) - neph00 - 16th January 2017

Hi,

how can i fix this desktop icons glitch?
Its not linked with plasam version i think.
I had this issue earlier.

RE: Desktop icons glitch (plasama 5.8.4) - leszek - 16th January 2017

This seems to be a driver issue with the proprietary nvidia graphics driver in combination with your card. Try disabling effects to see if it helps or changing the compositor opengl settings.

RE: Desktop icons glitch (plasama 5.8.4) - kdemeoz - 16th January 2017

It happens to me very frequently, especially after Resuming from Sleep [Cairo-Dock suffers from the same problem]. My routine workaround [it does not solve the root cause, but it quickly & easily  "fixes" the symptom, til next time] is to "disturb" the affected graphical elements.

For Cairo-Dock, i move it from the screen top to the side [which instantly repaints all the icon images properly], then immediately move it back to the top.

For the desktop icons, i have them locked, so all i do is select them all, grab them & drag a few mm, then let go. Because they're locked, they instantly snap back to their correct positions, all nicely repainted.

It's irritating that this happens, but i am not willing to stop using the Nvidia driver in favour of Nouveau, as i like having all the eye-candy that the proprietary driver gives me for desktop effects. Changing the Compositing from OpenGL 3.1 to 2.0, or vice versa, has never helped, & i am unwilling to devolve to XRender for the same reason as i gave for the driver. Anyway, my workarounds take only a few seconds to do.

EDIT - 4/Feb/17:   I rescind the [now] "strike-through" text in the preceding paragraph. I recently did change back to Nouveau, & my previous text is now known to be WRONG. Furthermore, in the context of this thread, an added bonus has been that now, after each Suspend - Resume, no longer are Cairo-Dock & my desktop icons garbled; they stay good. Cool. 

RE: Desktop icons glitch (plasama 5.8.4) - neph00 - 16th January 2017

(16th January 2017, 14:47)kdemeoz Wrote: For the desktop icons, i have them locked, so all i do is select them all, grab them & drag a few mm, then let go. Because they're locked, they instantly snap back to their correct positions, all nicely repainted.

Thx for your advise. It works Smile. Maybe u r right with this "sleep mode", because i never turn off my computer.
Later i will try with opengl compositor like u and "leszek" said.

RE: Desktop icons glitch (plasama 5.8.4) - neph00 - 1st February 2017

Hi, its have been 2 weeks after i've switched my compositor form opengl 2 to opengl 3.1 and this solved my problem permanently.

RE: [Solved] - Desktop icons glitch (plasama 5.8.4) - kdemeoz - 4th February 2017

Added an EDIT to my earlier post, to correct an error & provide another option to OP.