Maui Forums
maui upgrade from 2.1 to 17.3 - cannot reinstall plasma - Printable Version

+- Maui Forums (https://forums.mauilinux.org)
+-- Forum: Maui Support (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+--- Forum: Installation (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=83)
+--- Thread: maui upgrade from 2.1 to 17.3 - cannot reinstall plasma (/showthread.php?tid=24359)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: maui upgrade from 2.1 to 17.3 - cannot reinstall plasma - benit - 8th April 2017

I think the biggest problem is that I have already applied the backup. I see errors that indicate that the root directory is not found. But I am not sure why. Does the upgrade to 17.03 change so much in the root directory that a 16.04 installation could not work with it?

RE: maui upgrade from 2.1 to 17.3 - cannot reinstall plasma - leszek - 8th April 2017

The root directory holds all your programs so yes it changes a lot. Though the /home directory only holds configs and your own personal data and should not conflict with the different plasma versions installed.
Root directory not found is strange as you are booting sucessfully into the login manager and try to login.
Any logs you can provide so we can analyze it?

RE: maui upgrade from 2.1 to 17.3 - cannot reinstall plasma - benit - 9th April 2017

Please note that booting till the login screen was BEFORE I applied the backup (downwards to 2.1).

RE: maui upgrade from 2.1 to 17.3 - cannot reinstall plasma - leszek - 9th April 2017

Ah ok. So now it is really fucked up and does not even boot.
I guess restoring your /home has wiped something else that causes your system not to boot.
So a reinstall might be necessary.
You could also try booting with a live system and see if the / is still there on your installation.

RE: maui upgrade from 2.1 to 17.3 - cannot reinstall plasma - benit - 9th April 2017

So if we assume a fresh install:

I look for a linux distribution that simply works solid. Yesterday I saw a youtube video that explained, why KDE is so complex and why that likely leads to instabilities more than in other distributions.

I liked maui 2.1 very much and it helped me get rid of some problems that I had in Mint, but after a while some new strange things started to happen like widgets jumping around when I tried to drag them, vmware virtual machine getting locked by 100% CPU usage etc. (though I cannot say, if this is related to vmware or Maui, so please do not feel blamed)

And I like the plasma desktop very much as well as many KDE applications.

But nevertheless: Would it be better for stability reasons to switch to XFCE or Cinnamon desktop or something the like?

I know this question is complex, but you can much better estimate, if Plasma will still keep me busy with it's little bugs or if it will converge to a rock solid thing that simply works stable for some years.

Thanks a lot for your patience with me!

RE: maui upgrade from 2.1 to 17.3 - cannot reinstall plasma - leszek - 9th April 2017

If you install Maui 17.03 and don't upgrade plasma you will have a pretty much rock solid desktop user experience.
Though KDE Plasma also is available as LTS version and KDE Neon has a LTS ISO for that purpose. This means Plasma will only get minor fixes here and there but no real new features which are almost everytime the root cause of some new bugs.
If you use Maui 17.03 without upgrading plasma (enable the maui-xenial-backports-neon repo) you will basically have the same but without minor fixes.

You have to decide for yourself.
A desktop like XFCE that gets rarely updates is of course known to break less. But like I said if you continue using what we ship by default in Maui 17.03 it stays stable and solid aswell.

Quote:If you use Maui 17.03 without upgrading plasma (enable the maui-xenial-backports-neon repo) you will basically have the same but without minor fixes.

You mean: as long as I do not enable backports-neon repo it will be stable? Or if I enable the backports-neon it will be stable?//Kontakt grabben

I do not know how "//Kontakt grabben" appeared. I cannot delete it. And I did not type something like this...

If you don't enable it it will be stable.

RE: maui upgrade from 2.1 to 17.3 - cannot reinstall plasma - benit - 10th April 2017

Is my understanding correct that if I manually set a partition for 17.03 to install and set this partition to mount point "/" the WHOLE maui installation with all files will reside in this partition?

The only other thing I had to do was point to the correct EFI partition which I did.

I just want to know for backup purposes which partitions I really have to backup in the future.