Maui Forums
What is the proper way to update system to the latest release - Printable Version

+- Maui Forums (https://forums.mauilinux.org)
+-- Forum: Maui Support (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+--- Forum: Installation (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=83)
+--- Thread: What is the proper way to update system to the latest release (/showthread.php?tid=24592)

Pages: 1 2 3

What is the proper way to update system to the latest release - Fargo - 30th August 2017

I am currently running Maui 17.03. What is the proper way to update to Maui 17.06?

RE: What is the proper way to update system to the latest release - leszek - 31st August 2017

Activating backports.

Please use the search to avoid duplicate questions like this one.

RE: What is the proper way to update system to the latest release - Fargo - 31st August 2017

Sorry.  I did read the thread on updating to 17.03 https://forums.mauilinux.org/showthread.php?tid=24301&page=2 but I didn't know if everything was the same.  I was under the impression the update to 17.03 was a more significant update.  So I was uncertain about a few things and wanted a step by step breakdown for clarity.

Is it simply a matter of activating the 2 repos and updating or do I need to go through all the steps indicated in the 17.03 update?

Primarily I had questions regarding these items:

Does updating to 17.06 require step 4
Quote:4. Run the command in a terminal  (IMPORTANT)

sudo rm -r /var/lib/apt/lists/* && sudo apt-get update

Does updating to 17.06 require step 9.

Quote:9. Remove old sortinglaunchers & reinstall Plasma-Desktop

After the update manager finishes please close it and open up synaptic packagemanager.

Here you have to remove the old sortinglaunchers package.

maui-upgrade-mark-sortinglaunchers-removal

Hit Apply.

After the removal mark plasma-desktop and plasma-desktop-data for reinstallation.

RE: What is the proper way to update system to the latest release - leszek - 31st August 2017

Step 4 and 9 are not necessary.
Only activating the two backports repos is enough.

RE: What is the proper way to update system to the latest release - Fargo - 31st August 2017

OK, that sounds good. Thanks for the update.

RE: What is the proper way to update system to the latest release - Fargo - 22nd September 2017

I finally got around to doing the update.  Things seems to be working ok, but when I go to 'Info Center' > 'About System' I get a noticification stating:

Quote:'The shared library was not found'.  

Possible reasons
    *An error occurred during your last KDE upgrade leaving an orphaned control module
    * You have old third party module lying around.

When I check my repos, my system is still pointing to maui 17.03.  Should that have updated to 17.06?

All I did to update was select the 2 backport repos and refreshed the updated manager as indicated earlier in this thread.
Please let me know if their is a good solution to this 'About System' issue.

RE: What is the proper way to update system to the latest release - leszek - 22nd September 2017

Make sure to install the kcm-about-extended package for the about system to work again.
And yeah the repos are ok. We don't touch them at all.

RE: What is the proper way to update system to the latest release - Fargo - 22nd September 2017

I got a warning in Synaptic:
Quote:Could not apply changes. Fix broken packages first.

I saw the command 'sudo apt-get install -f' in a different thread. Running this command I did see I have some packages that could be removed. Would that do it?

RE: What is the proper way to update system to the latest release - Fargo - 23rd September 2017

I did the autoremove, but I still have broken packages and I am unable to install kcm-about-extended.

I think I'm also having trouble with Plymouth. My boot time seems slower and I no longer have any boot screen showing up. I am also unable change change my boot splash. I'm not sure if this is all related or not.

RE: What is the proper way to update system to the latest release - leszek - 23rd September 2017

Take a look at the kcm-about-extended versions that you can install. Make sure to install the one from backports. (mentioned in other threads aswell already)