Maui Forums
Booting problem after installation - Printable Version

+- Maui Forums (https://forums.mauilinux.org)
+-- Forum: Maui Support (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+--- Forum: Plasma Desktop (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=84)
+--- Thread: Booting problem after installation (/showthread.php?tid=24593)

Booting problem after installation - jwegier - 31st August 2017

Hello,

I had three distros installed on a hard drive dedicated to Linux: Ubuntu MATE, Manjaro Xfce and Solus 3. Yesterday  I replaced Ubuntu MATE with KDE neon. At the post installation reboot I was unpleasantly surprised to see that the grub of KDE neon does no detect my Manjaro installation but only detect my Solus 3 installation.

Since Solus is still available on grub I booted into Solus and opened the grub customizer and that's what I got:

Solus 3

KDE neon User edition 5.10

Manjaro Linux 17.0.2

Advanced options for KDE neon

Advanced options for Manjaro Linux

There were no mention of Manjaro to which I need to boot as soon as possible to finish some urgent work. I rebooted again into KDE neon and ran sudo update-grub and on the terminal I saw that both Solus 3 and Manjaro LInux were detected. I rebooted again but Manjaro Linux still does appear as an option on grub.

Thinking that maybe something went wrong during KDE neon installation I decided to install Maui Linux instead of KDE neon. I rebooted after the installation of Maui and Manjaro was back again in the grub menu but when I tried to boot into Manjaro I got this screen:

I booted into Maui and ran sudo update grub but with the reboot I still got the same screen with the Kernel panic message

From the file managers of Solus and MAUI I have access to all my folders and files in Manjaro.

How can I fix this and reboot again into Manjaro

Thank you very much.

RE: Booting problem after installation - leszek - 1st September 2017

It seems like the root partition isn't detected for manjaro to boot anymore.
Can you check the uuid from the manjaro partition and compare it with the one listed in the grub.cfg (/boot/grub/grub.cfg) for manjaro. They need to match otherwise it will fail like this not finding the root partition to boot from.

You can get a listing of uuids by running sudo blkid from a terminal. Identify your manjaro partition by label or /dev/sdX and take a look at the UUID string.

Hope that helps.

RE: Booting problem after installation - jwegier - 2nd September 2017

(1st September 2017, 11:06)leszek Wrote: It seems like the root partition isn't detected for manjaro to boot anymore.
Can you check the uuid from the manjaro partition and compare it with the one listed in the grub.cfg (/boot/grub/grub.cfg) for manjaro. They need to match otherwise it will fail like this not finding the root partition to boot from.

You can get a listing of uuids by running  sudo blkid from a terminal. Identify your manjaro partition by label or /dev/sdX and take a look at the UUID string.

Hope that helps.

Thank you. Problem solved

RE: Booting problem after installation - leszek - 2nd September 2017

Nice can you edit the title of your initial post and add [solved] to it please.