Maui Forums
Maui Linux needs to be MORE ACTIVE to capture the Linux Mint KDE Users - Printable Version

+- Maui Forums (https://forums.mauilinux.org)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: General Talk (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=80)
+--- Thread: Maui Linux needs to be MORE ACTIVE to capture the Linux Mint KDE Users (/showthread.php?tid=24650)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Maui Linux needs to be MORE ACTIVE to capture the Linux Mint KDE Users - dadakrpa - 20th November 2017

Also feeling sad to see Maui go. It ran really well and a breeze to maintain.
I installed to several other computers when visiting friends in other countries. I help them keep things up to date and troubleshoot with Teamviewer. Not sure how to help them now. Installing Netrunner or Neon will not be possible with Teamviewer. Will Maui still be maintained and receive security updates for a while?

RE: Maui Linux needs to be MORE ACTIVE to capture the Linux Mint KDE Users - smoreau - 20th November 2017

(20th November 2017, 0:54)rocky7x Wrote: Netrunner on Debian is (just my personal opinion) not so friendly to beginners as Maui was and so far I had to invest more time into administering the system than in case of Maui (where it was virtually zero administration).

I think exactly the same thing, for my friends using Maui, that will not be à good idea to move to Netrunner. Could you explain me how you will use the information you have got from Leszek, because i am not familiar with the use of  "Github"
Many thanks.
SM

RE: Maui Linux needs to be MORE ACTIVE to capture the Linux Mint KDE Users - smoreau - 20th November 2017

(20th November 2017, 7:34)dadakrpa Wrote: Also feeling sad to see Maui go. It ran really well and a breeze to maintain.
I installed to several other computers when visiting friends in other countries. I help them keep things up to date and troubleshoot with Teamviewer. Not sure how to help them now. Installing Netrunner or Neon will not be possible with Teamviewer. Will Maui still be maintained and receive security updates for a while?

I am not sure that the excellent Maui team realized the job they did. My friends move completely ( not any double boot) from Windows to Linux thanks to them. That will also be a sad news for KDE, perhaps I will have to adapt a Ubuntu GTK3 for them. Linux Mint then Maui the KDE desktop will lose a lot of users.
Sad 
SM

RE: Maui Linux needs to be MORE ACTIVE to capture the Linux Mint KDE Users - rocky7x - 20th November 2017

Hey guys, but as far as I understood the info provided by now, Maui should be updated until the end of Ubuntu LTS 16.04, which is until April 2021, which is still a long way to go Smile Of course we have to wait until the official info. If that is true, you and your friends still have a nice few years of future with Maui and who knows what will happen until 2021 - it's a long way until then Wink

RE: Maui Linux needs to be MORE ACTIVE to capture the Linux Mint KDE Users - wonder - 20th November 2017

(20th November 2017, 9:56)rocky7x Wrote: Hey guys, but as far as I understood the info provided by now, Maui should be updated until the end of Ubuntu LTS 16.04, which is until April 2021, which is still a long way to go Smile Of course we have to wait until the official info. If that is true, you and your friends still have a nice few years of future with Maui and who knows what will happen until 2021 - it's a long way until then Wink

Yes, its possible this, but if its yes, Maui have update until the end of Ubuntu LTS 16.04 but with security packages, no updates for KDE (if I understand well Smile)

Regards.

RE: Maui Linux needs to be MORE ACTIVE to capture the Linux Mint KDE Users - rocky7x - 20th November 2017

(20th November 2017, 14:13)wonder Wrote: Yes, its possible this, but if its yes, Maui have update until the end of Ubuntu LTS 16.04 but with security packages, no updates for KDE (if I understand well Smile)

Regards.

Indeed, it's possible, but anyway, we should wait for the official statement from the maintainters before jumping to conclusions Wink

(20th November 2017, 7:41)smoreau Wrote: I think exactly the same thing, for my friends using Maui, that will not be à good idea to move to Netrunner. Could you explain me how you will use the information you have got from Leszek, because i am not familiar with the use of  "Github"
Many thanks.
SM

Hi smoreau,

Regarding GitHub, I still haven't had a chance to have a look at what's important for getting the Maui setup on top of Neon (except visuals) from the git repository. When I do, I'll let you know, how to easily get all the needed stuff from Maui into Neon.

RE: Maui Linux needs to be MORE ACTIVE to capture the Linux Mint KDE Users - wonder - 20th November 2017

(20th November 2017, 15:24)rocky7x Wrote:
(20th November 2017, 14:13)wonder Wrote: Yes, its possible this, but if its yes, Maui have update until the end of Ubuntu LTS 16.04 but with security packages, no updates for KDE (if I understand well Smile)

Regards.

Indeed, it's possible, but anyway, we should wait for the official statement from the maintainters before jumping to conclusions Wink

Yes, you have reasson, we need wait for the official statement Smile

(20th November 2017, 7:41)smoreau Wrote:
(20th November 2017, 0:54)rocky7x Wrote: Netrunner on Debian is (just my personal opinion) not so friendly to beginners as Maui was and so far I had to invest more time into administering the system than in case of Maui (where it was virtually zero administration).

I think exactly the same thing, for my friends using Maui, that will not be à good idea to move to Netrunner. Could you explain me how you will use the information you have got from Leszek, because i am not familiar with the use of  "Github"
Many thanks.
SM

I join this request. Let's have the official announcement that we have, if I would like to know it and go testing now. I do not know how to do it from github so neon, be the closest thing to maui (not visually).

Regards.

RE: Maui Linux needs to be MORE ACTIVE to capture the Linux Mint KDE Users - Kurtbw - 20th November 2017

(20th November 2017, 15:27)rocky7x Wrote:
(20th November 2017, 7:41)smoreau Wrote: I think exactly the same thing, for my friends using Maui, that will not be à good idea to move to Netrunner. Could you explain me how you will use the information you have got from Leszek, because i am not familiar with the use of  "Github"
Many thanks.
SM

Hi smoreau,

Regarding GitHub, I still haven't had a chance to have a look at what's important for getting the Maui setup on top of Neon (except visuals) from the git repository. When I do, I'll let you know, how to easily get all the needed stuff from Maui into Neon.

That would be most welcome.  Some sort of basic instructions would help vastly, rather than having people like me fumble my way through the process.  No terrible rush on this.  Appears the security patches for KDE would concern me before other items.

Also, as others have noted, there's been no formal announcement.  This doesn't mean one shouldn't have a "Plan B."