Maui Forums
Maui Linux needs to be MORE ACTIVE to capture the Linux Mint KDE Users - Printable Version

+- Maui Forums (https://forums.mauilinux.org)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: General Talk (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=80)
+--- Thread: Maui Linux needs to be MORE ACTIVE to capture the Linux Mint KDE Users (/showthread.php?tid=24650)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Maui Linux needs to be MORE ACTIVE to capture the Linux Mint KDE Users - jairlebentz - 23rd December 2017

Best KDE distros 2017:
http://www.ocsmag.com/2017/12/18/best-kdeplasma-distro-of-2017/
Candidate N.1: Maui Linux 2.1 Blue Tang
Smile

RE: Maui Linux needs to be MORE ACTIVE to capture the Linux Mint KDE Users - kdemeoz - 28th December 2017

(17th November 2017, 14:15)leszek Wrote: I think we will do an announcement about this. 

Has this happened yet pls? Occasionally i check back into this thread, & also the Blog, but so far i don't think i've seen an official announcement. 

RE: Maui Linux needs to be MORE ACTIVE to capture the Linux Mint KDE Users - Fargo - 28th December 2017

(28th December 2017, 2:08)kdemeoz Wrote:
(17th November 2017, 14:15)leszek Wrote: I think we will do an announcement about this. 

Has this happened yet pls? Occasionally i check back into this thread, & also the Blog, but so far i don't think i've seen an official announcement. 

Yeah I keep checking in hoping the delay was because they changed their mind and decided to keep Maui going.  Not because we have just been completely abandoned

RE: Maui Linux needs to be MORE ACTIVE to capture the Linux Mint KDE Users - smoreau - 28th December 2017

(28th December 2017, 1:45)andresimi Wrote: Well, it is so sad... I came from KDE Mint and was pleased to know that linux could give a fantastic exerience and easy to use as Maui provided. Installed the distro for all my family members and now I have to restart the journey... It is the best distribution ever! So stable and functional.
You must reconsider your position!

I completely agree with this.

That 's the only distribution among others that meets the criteria you found. None among Netrunner and others are able to be handle daily by non-experimented users.
We can really consider that it is a lot of work and time to spend to maintain and develop such a distribution. As well as I am able to invest in hardware for my daily use of computers, I am able to contribute financially to invest in software for that hardware. I hope that the Maui team will find a way to allow us to contribute to their excellent work.

SM

RE: Maui Linux needs to be MORE ACTIVE to capture the Linux Mint KDE Users - Fargo - 7th March 2018

I've recently been working with someone who is a new convert to Linux and I'm trying to find a good KDE/Ubuntu based distro. There is nothing out there. Maui was the best. All thats left is Kubuntu or Neon. There is not any other Ubuntu/KDE distro anywhere. The frustrating thing for me is I have always been a Debian Stable based distro kind of guy. For the last 15 years I avoided ubuntu based distros like the plague. It was extremely difficult because everything seemed to be based on Ubuntu. Now I finally gave Ubuntu a try with Maui and I love it. I regret all those Debian years. I'm sticking with Ubuntu and I also encourage others to use Ubuntu based distros. So why is it now after I finally find the beauty of Ubuntu based distros, everyone is going to Debian based. Why is it I am always running against the grain?

RE: Maui Linux needs to be MORE ACTIVE to capture the Linux Mint KDE Users - kdemeoz - 7th March 2018

(7th March 2018, 3:14)Fargo Wrote: everyone is going to Debian based.  

Incorrect. I jumped ship last year, once i saw the writing on the wall for Maui, & taught myself to use openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE. Then, late last year, i changed again, this time to Manjaro KDE. It is simply superb

I deliberately avoided non-Ubuntu-based distros for years. I also avoided rolling distros over that same time [albeit Maui was my first partial semi-rolling distro]. At the time, i felt both those decisions were "right" for me. Now however i kinda sorta regret it, because as i now completely appreciate, there is very very green grass on the other side of the Ubuntu-based hill. 

I'll always have a fond spot in my memories for Maui, but in a funny way its sad demise did me a favour... it forced me to think the unthinkable; climb that hill & try out a whole new wonderful land.

RE: Maui Linux needs to be MORE ACTIVE to capture the Linux Mint KDE Users - smoreau - 7th March 2018

(7th March 2018, 3:14)Fargo Wrote:   Maui was the best.  All thats left is Kubuntu or Neon.  There is not any other Ubuntu/KDE distro anywhere. 

And why such a silence from the Blue System team ?
Sad
SM

RE: Maui Linux needs to be MORE ACTIVE to capture the Linux Mint KDE Users - Fargo - 7th March 2018

The silence is the frustrating part. Either make it official and end the release or confirm that it will continue. Pardon the vulgarity, but it brings to mind the expression "Either shit or get off the pot" (Hopefully that translates properly for those outside the US)

RE: Maui Linux needs to be MORE ACTIVE to capture the Linux Mint KDE Users - kdemeoz - 8th March 2018

(7th March 2018, 22:25)Fargo Wrote: The silence is the frustrating part.  Either make it official and end the release or confirm that it will continue.  Pardon the vulgarity, but it brings to mind the expression "Either shit or get off the pot"  (Hopefully that translates properly for those outside the US)

I tend to agree. I do realise that the Devs do not "owe" us anything, but i nevertheless find myself surprised when, each couple of months when i check back in here, there's still no official statement. 

In my mind though the silence is pretty telling; in Monty Python terms i have regarded since THAT post last year that Maui is an ex-parrot, despite its beautiful plumageTongue

RE: Maui Linux needs to be MORE ACTIVE to capture the Linux Mint KDE Users - Fargo - 8th March 2018

(8th March 2018, 0:58)kdemeoz Wrote:
(7th March 2018, 22:25)Fargo Wrote: The silence is the frustrating part.  Either make it official and end the release or confirm that it will continue.  Pardon the vulgarity, but it brings to mind the expression "Either shit or get off the pot"  (Hopefully that translates properly for those outside the US)

I tend to agree. I do realise that the Devs do not "owe" us anything, but i nevertheless find myself surprised when, each couple of months when i check back in here, there's still no official statement. 

In my mind though the silence is pretty telling; in Monty Python terms i have regarded since THAT post last year that Maui is an ex-parrot, despite its beautiful plumageTongue

Yes, my thanks to the devs for the work they have done with Maui.  It is all to easy to take for granted all the work that they do.  Its easy to sit on the sidelines and complain about things.  It would be much more difficult to pick up Maui and maintain it myself...  Although, as I think about it, I suppose thats exactly what I am doing if I switch over to Neon.

Edit: Although I'm not a Monty Python fan, I know the reference. I guess it gets posted enough in various forums I've seen it a couple times already.