Maui Forums
Question about decision - Printable Version

+- Maui Forums (https://forums.mauilinux.org)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: General Talk (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=80)
+--- Thread: Question about decision (/showthread.php?tid=24666)

Question about decision - rocky7x - 30th November 2017

Hi guys,

Not much has been said about the future of Maui, more or less just hinted, but much more speculated. However, since you have already released some hints, I think it would be fair to us and professional to provide us with some official statement, so that people can decide how to proceed.

RE: Question about decision - Pfiff - 30th November 2017

thumb up!

RE: Question about decision - Mark Spruce - 1st December 2017

amen to that

RE: Question about decision - smoreau - 1st December 2017

You think that Bluesytems will really discard its best KDE distribution among its other product Netrunner and Netrunner rolling without a deep reflection ?
A such decision will mainly harm the KDE project. Maui is the only distribution which can be use by non experimented users, and able to compete for windows.
The longer they delay their decision, the more we can hope a favorable issue.
SM

RE: Question about decision - rocky7x - 1st December 2017

Hi smoreau,

All you say is true, but then this should have been discussed by the maintainers and just a final decision should have been released. Because this uncertainty can do only harm to both Maui and Netrunner, because people don't like uncertainties and as we could already witness, a number of people has already left Maui either for Neon or for Netrunner. And since they were expecting a similar experience as with Maui, they are struggling, because Maui has the best experience of the 3 distros. From my perspective these speculations can do nothing but harm and I think it is natural that once a hint of information has been released, we all want to know the official statement. Just ask yourself 1 single question: if you bought a new laptop, would you install Maui on it now, with all this speculation and uncertainty? If Blue Systems is a serious company, I think they should realise that this is not the way how information should be presented to public.

RE: Question about decision - wonder - 1st December 2017

(1st December 2017, 14:38)rocky7x Wrote: ...Just ask yourself 1 single question: if you bought a new laptop, would you install Maui on it now, with all this speculation and uncertainty? If Blue Systems is a serious company, I think they should realise that this is not the way how information should be presented to public.

No, in my case no. If I go to new laptop (or desktop) today, I don't install Maui for this reason, for the speculation and uncertainty.

I think like yours, Maui, are the best KDE dist that you are indicate (neon, netruner, maui...) and others also. Its really fantastic...

RE: Question about decision - Kurtbw - 1st December 2017

Here's the thing.

I'm not paying anything for Maui, so besides being an extremely satisfied user, I don't have a lot of influence on what the maintainers choose to do or how to spend their time.

That being said, I will reiterate.  For the record, my microcomputer experience goes back to the S-100 bus days & I've seen a lot of OSs.  Some worked better than others. Some let you crash in more than one application at a time, and keep working. Some of them were seriously finicky to maintain.  Others I figured weren't worth it, and I promptly retrograded to something that worked beter.

Out of all the Linux distros I've putzed with, Maui has *the* closest out-of-the box experience to Mac OS X.  It just works (at least for me).  I can install it on a variety of computer processor types without much fuss or muss.  It works quite well.  It's one of the few Linux distros I can turn a complete newby loose upon, and not worry.

So it came as a surprise to me when the maintainers started making noises about discontinuing Maui.  I understand why they might want to do that, but I think there has to be some better way to go forward besides this path.

RE: Question about decision - smoreau - 1st December 2017

(1st December 2017, 17:35)Kurtbw Wrote: Out of all the Linux distros I've putzed with, Maui has *the* closest out-of-the box experience to Mac OS X.  It just works (at least for me).  I can install it on a variety of computer processor types without much fuss or muss.  It works quite well.  It's one of the few Linux distros I can turn a complete newby loose upon, and not worry.

So it came as a surprise to me when the maintainers started making noises about discontinuing Maui.  I understand why they might want to do that, but I think there has to be some better way to go forward besides this path.

I completely agree with what you wrote. I really hope that the maintainers will reconsider their options.
SM

RE: Question about decision - jairlebentz - 3rd December 2017

(1st December 2017, 17:47)smoreau Wrote:
(1st December 2017, 17:35)Kurtbw Wrote: Out of all the Linux distros I've putzed with, Maui has *the* closest out-of-the box experience to Mac OS X.  It just works (at least for me).  I can install it on a variety of computer processor types without much fuss or muss.  It works quite well.  It's one of the few Linux distros I can turn a complete newby loose upon, and not worry.

I completely agree with what you wrote. I really hope that the maintainers will reconsider their options.
SM
I hope that

RE: Question about decision - kdemeoz - 9th January 2018

(1st December 2017, 14:38)rocky7x Wrote: Hi smoreau,

... a number of people has already left Maui either for Neon or for Netrunner...

...or other KDE DE distros...  Tongue