Maui Forums
Release based on Ubuntu 18.04 - Printable Version

+- Maui Forums (https://forums.mauilinux.org)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: General Talk (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=80)
+--- Thread: Release based on Ubuntu 18.04 (/showthread.php?tid=24754)

Release based on Ubuntu 18.04 - atowler - 28th April 2018

Is a release based on Ubuntu 18.04 in the works?

RE: Release based on Ubuntu 18.04 - leszek - 29th April 2018

There are no plans currently.

RE: Release based on Ubuntu 18.04 - smoreau - 30th April 2018

(29th April 2018, 9:59)leszek Wrote: There are no plans currently.

So will you support Maui until 16.04 deadline 2021  ? or will we have to move to another distribution now ?
Whatever happens, thanks for the perfect work during these last two years.
SM
Sad

RE: Release based on Ubuntu 18.04 - atowler - 30th April 2018

@leszek Since you have refocused your development efforts to Netrunner, I have a related question for you. What is the best way to keep software and drivers up-to-date on a Debian-based distro? With Maui and other Ubuntu-based distros I am used to using PPAs, but it seems such a thing isn't officially supported or recommended for Debian.

RE: Release based on Ubuntu 18.04 - leszek - 30th April 2018

You just use the debian repos. If you want newer software use appimages, Snaps or flatpaks.

RE: Release based on Ubuntu 18.04 - atowler - 30th April 2018

Ok, thanks for the info, leszek! I'll look into switching back to Netrunner.

RE: Release based on Ubuntu 18.04 - jairlebentz - 9th May 2018

(30th April 2018, 17:22)atowler Wrote: Ok, thanks for the info, leszek! I'll look into switching back to Netrunner.

I trieed but Netrunner is not as good as maui was. I installed than Kubuntu. Much better than Netrunner

RE: Release based on Ubuntu 18.04 - smoreau - 10th May 2018

Jairlebentz, give a try to Neon user, better than Kubuntu !

SM

RE: Release based on Ubuntu 18.04 - kaktux - 23rd May 2018

(10th May 2018, 18:10)smoreau Wrote: Jairlebentz, give a try to Neon user, better than Kubuntu !

SM

Why? For Kubuntu my experience is that its developers/development are/is dependable.
I used it several years before trying Netrunner.
Netrunner was cancelled cause they started Maui which was soon killed again because because.
KDE neon - which seem to have appeared just around the time frame Maui went absolete is Kubuntu based anyway and the devs to my knowledge are the same involved.

In terms of reliability the time i spent here - the distributions are not a good choice for productive use.
If you want to tinker, reinstall, switch every now and then and want/need to use latest KDE as soon as possible- go for Neon.
If you want a system that keeps working, is fairly up to date and isn't depending on the daily devs flavour swings - in my opinion you should stick to the distributions that already have some time on their clock.

So basically its a subjective decision. Good to have choices for everyone.

RE: Release based on Ubuntu 18.04 - MoonRise - 9th June 2018

Truly, I started on Kubuntu. Only migrated to Maui because Maui did have a slightly better experience for me and I liked that it had some NEON base. Since the uncertainty of Maui I've moved back to Kubuntu and it is still as strong as ever. Just my opinion but it is really a top-notch OS.