Maui Forums
Any Plasma 5.12.5 Love coming? or is Mauilinux over because of the 18.04 switch? - Printable Version

+- Maui Forums (https://forums.mauilinux.org)
+-- Forum: Maui Support (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+--- Forum: Plasma Desktop (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=84)
+--- Thread: Any Plasma 5.12.5 Love coming? or is Mauilinux over because of the 18.04 switch? (/showthread.php?tid=24770)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Any Plasma 5.12.5 Love coming? or is Mauilinux over because of the 18.04 switch? - Fargo - 5th June 2018

(1st June 2018, 22:15)Pfiff Wrote:
(1st June 2018, 10:17)Bergoglio Wrote: Hi Fargo,

for my point of view now the only alternative to Maui is Kubuntu (Neon is too much vanilla and not so stable); the only problem is that Kubuntu needs some works and setups more than Maui and It will not be a semi-rolling like Maui.
I use pc for work, I use only Linux starting from 2004, I'm not a software engineer and Kubuntu is the only stable solution after Maui's death.

... or you change completly and you go to manjaro kde ...

Personally, I would change to Ubuntu Budgie before I went to Manjaro.  Nothing against Manjaro, I've just decided that if Linux is ever going to get out of the basement, it needs a large corporate sponsor behind the desktop.  Unfortunately Ubuntu just walked away from that role, so not sure where that leaves us.  I'm afraid though that it might leave Linux doomed to hackers in mom and dads basement. 

For the first time in over 10 years I am actually at a point where I am questioning if Linux on the desktop will ever amount to anything or if the hope is all gone.  I am seriously considering a return to Windows.  I am so tired of fighting with virtual machines and bad software just to see Linux gain some market share.  I have long hoped for some big company to come along side of Linux and make great software.  But its never happened.  Linux is still a complete niche product that is fully reliant on the graces of the open source community.  For a home user just surfing the web and writing a Christmas letter once a year, linux is great.  As a business tool, I am getting tired of chasing Linux in hopes that it will one day be a real rival to MS and Windows only software.  The fight in me is almost gone...

Sorry for the rant.  This isn't intended to reflect the status of Maui, Manjaro or any specific Linux distro.  Linux in and of itself, is better than ever.  Honestly, I am at a loss as to why people haven't been running to Linux in hoards over the past few years.  Other than;  1) People are lazy and Windows came on their machine 2)  There is always a key piece of software that is missing and Windows only.  So people are still locked into Windows against their will.  I know that #2 is certainly where I am at.  Its also the problem I see with everyone I encounter.  Linux is always missing one program they need.  The problem is that its never the same program.  For me it is Quickbooks and proprietary software for my real estate appraisal profession.  For another friend it is Photoshop.  For my kids its Lego Mindstorm software.  (Which is doubly frustrating that Lego uses Linux in the robot but you have to use Windows to program the thing.)  So everywhere I turn, I seem to hit a wall where Microsoft still has such a monopoly you just can escape the grip of MS.  Its all in the software.  Linux will never amount to more than a hackers tool until there is dedicated professional software.  The only hope that Linux has is cloud based software that is OS independent.  I hate cloud software, but its the only chance linux has to be used as a true professional office machine.

Sorry, I just had to vent.  Thanks for letting me get that all off my chest.

RE: Any Plasma 5.12.5 Love coming? or is Mauilinux over because of the 18.04 switch? - Bergoglio - 5th June 2018

Ok, Fargo, You wrote something real by one side and not for another (like me).

I can tell my experience :
I'm an accountant / business consultant in Italy and for my work Linux is better every year because I use LibreOffice to write documents and working on spreadsheets, Xsane to scan documents, Google Chrome for browser, Thunderbird for emails, some Dolphin service menus to work on pdf files, Okular to read / compile pdf files, Dike (an Italian professional software) for digital signatures and it is normal to find others professional softwares for my work in the cloud version (to be honest, they are only in cloud). So, no problems with Linux; I only need a stable KDE distro that don't need a lot of work to setup it (I'm lazy..... Big Grin ).

I agree completely with You on the fact that the best way to have professional software in Linux is the cloud software through an internet browser, but this is also the future of Windows and Mac (all the serious software houses are going in the cloud).

It is also real that, very often, a lot of necessary softwares for work are not so expensive to create but I never see a community of users that organize them and pay a software engineer (developer, coder, etc.) to create the software they want......

At last : my daughter has passion for drawing and painting, she uses Krita in Linux and she doesn't want to see Windows.....

RE: Any Plasma 5.12.5 Love coming? or is Mauilinux over because of the 18.04 switch? - Fargo - 5th June 2018

Thanks for the reply. It is good to hear of success cases. I have been sucessfully using linux for about 6 years, but that success has required me to use virtualbox for my work software. I am just getting tired of virtualbox and the extra overhead that is required to run two operating systems simultaneously. Especially in the past 6 months.

Due to software requirements, I made the change to Windows 10 at about the same time I purchased a 4k monitor. I'm not sure if its a Windows 10 issue or a 4k issue but between the 2 of them my Windows guest is dragging to a point I can barely get work done and that is on a host machine with 16GB of RAM and I am still digging into my swap file for another 4GB of RAM. So I am just very frustrated with the performance of my machine right now and wondering why I am using Linux when all my work software requires Windows. (There are currnetly no other options. Not even versions for MacOS.) So right now I am just looking for a way to get my machine back to maximum production for work purposes. Fortunately, my software company has a cloud version of their software in beta, so relief is coming. But I fear it will just bring about other issues of insecurity and unreliability of the cloud. Not to mention browser based software tends to be short on various features. So right now, I am just hanging on and waiting for the software my work requires to materialize in a form I can use in Linux. I see it coming, so I hate to give up now. I'm just getting tired of the fight for software freedom. The demise of Maui just seemed to add to my negative outlook. So thank you for the encouragement.

As an accountant what software do you recommend for small business owners? I've used Quickbooks for 20 years and it meets all my needs. But of course its Windows only or $120 per year for cloud based version. Which seems expensive considering I am still happy with Quickbooks Pro 2006. Obviously the continued revenue stream is the driving force behind cloud software. I've tried several free cloud based systems, but only one of them (Crunched) allowed me to do my accounting on a cash basis and even seemed like it could remotely meet my needs. So I was wondering if you may know of something I missed. (I tried the obvious KMyMoney, Gnucash, Manager). I even tried some self hosted server stuff, but never figured out how to get server software setup. Any suggestions?

RE: Any Plasma 5.12.5 Love coming? or is Mauilinux over because of the 18.04 switch? - Bergoglio - 5th June 2018

I don't know where You live, but I can tell for sure that software for accountant working in Italy MUST be an Italian software made by an Italian software house. This because we have a kind of burocracy (the burocracy works good very often, I mean the list of tax obligations) that is possible to find only here; so, the international softwares like Quickbooks are insufficient.

I think, in general, that the best solution is to use cloud software; in the past I tried a solution of one my private server in cloud were I installed my software (it was another Italian software for accountant ready to use also in Linux) but it was not a good experience for two reasons :
1) having your private server means that You must do also the work of a software administrator;
2) the software was born to be on a local pc, it is not optimized for internet, here the connection quality is low, so You can imagine.......

If You want to have a Windows pc I think that the best solution (I hate virtual machines) is to buy a desktop pc with Windows Pro, install it in Your local lan (without any monitor, mouse and keyboard) and control it from Your Linux machine through remote desktop technology; now You can find good desktop pc (even mini pc) with € 300 / 400.

Last thing : the prices of software that You mentioned are not so high (by my point of view). Imagine that the software I'm using requires € 50 / month for each firm without the services for creating business forms or making analysis. And this software is cheap in the Italian market.

For business analysis I use Cloudfinance

What kind of software do You use for real estate ?

RE: Any Plasma 5.12.5 Love coming? or is Mauilinux over because of the 18.04 switch? - leszek - 6th June 2018

I think the thread is derailing. Can you create another thread for totally different topics please to keep the forum clean.

RE: Any Plasma 5.12.5 Love coming? or is Mauilinux over because of the 18.04 switch? - Bergoglio - 6th June 2018

Ok, sorry.

Fargo, if You want we can continue in mp

RE: Any Plasma 5.12.5 Love coming? or is Mauilinux over because of the 18.04 switch? - Fargo - 6th June 2018

I tried to send a PM but it said it was disabled. So with my apologies to leszek and others in the thread, I will just wrap up our conversation here. My current real estate software is called Total by alamode. There are others like it, they are about $500+/- per year ($45+/- per month) depending on features that are needed. I would need accounting software on top of that. So I'd rather keep it cheaper since I have a lot of other subscriptions that are also required for my business. I am in the USA so our accounting needs are quite different. I do appreciate your input on your experience with servers and the idea of setting up a MS server. It does give me something else to consider. Thanks.

Sorry for taking the thread off topic.

RE: Any Plasma 5.12.5 Love coming? or is Mauilinux over because of the 18.04 switch? - Bergoglio - 6th June 2018

Fargo, if You want You can find me on Telegram to continue in private.