Maui Forums

Full Version: Install nvidia drivers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I figure it out. I had to leave out #. I typed sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-367.44.run, and it worked and installed the driver successfully, but still no login screen. I get to the encryption screen, and after I enter the encryption key there is no screen. I can still login as in safe mode. So I have the right driver, and still have not able to get the login screen. Before the update I was able to see the login screen, but after entering my password, I was getting the black screen. What I don't get is that Manjaro runs fine on it, and Also I was able to test the Linux Mint 18 KDE beta, and that ran fine as well. Mint is also Ubunu based. So can't figure this out!
OK, maybe SDDM isn't loading, or there is an issue with decryption.
Can you post your xorg.0.log file and the output of journalctl -p err -b.
I don't think there is any problem with the decryption, because I can login from advanced mode. Anyway, could you tell me what do I need to type in the terminal to get those output you're looking for?
The Xorg.0.log file would be in your home directories root or under /.local/share/xorg/.
I already posted the command line for the journal but here it is again:
Code:
journalctl -p err -b
To pipe it out to a txt file for easier posting:
Code:
journalctl -p err -b >> error.txt
Xorg.0.log on Maui is in /var/log/
Here are the X.org, and nvidia-installer logs. Please see the attached text files.

Just found out about this, which I didn't do.
I have to disable the Nouveau first before downloading the nvidia driver. The instructions says to exit the X server and terminate all OpenGL applications first. Well, I'm kind of stuck. Can't figure out how to do it correctly. Could you tell me how to do that?
Go to your folder where your nvidia driver is
Press F4
sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-367.44.run --uninstall
Now if you still want that driver !

Run the following in konsole
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
sudo apt update
sudo apt install nvidia-367 nvidia-settings

run 'nvidia-xconfig' as root
reboot
If you happen to get to a desktop
alt+F2
kdesudo nvidia-settings (run kdesudo nvidia-settings)
Do your settings, then save xconfiguration to file
Tick Merge
type in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
If you don't have any luck I would think about installing lightdm
some info...... https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Binary...wto/Nvidia
and make sure you have secure boot off!
Good luck.
Pages: 1 2 3