Maui Forums

Full Version: I like Maui, but allot is changed (backwards)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
1- I really dont like how you have set the panels up. It is confusing and Newbies may not know how to change it and simply move on to another distro. Cannot easily tell whats running.

2- Terminal / shell should be preset to f9 giving parity to Guake,Tilda and related. Im not sure if its the app you have chosen or if its defective/bug in some way. Clicking anywhere out of window closes the terminal (hides) and there is no transparency option. I recall the Neon Dev edition is different...

3- Double clicking on the desktop icons , My Computer opens about this syswtem!? Perhaps change this to right click and double left click to opening root.

4- I am used to having to configure my audio (because I have 2 GPUs and a builtin card). After selecting my Card and setting the output , I am unable to change Notification Sounds Volume. I raise it up and when letting go it goes back to mute?!? Angry Perhaps an issue with Nv...(I noticed the GMA945 on page)

5- I am greatly appreciative of including an adblocker in FireFox. However Please consider changing it to uBlock Origin (optionally inc greasemonkey w/reek). uBlock is less resource intensive and is allot better on memory requirements and works better imo.

6- Hate how the Maui button is set (start menu) it takes up the whole screen. If this were for mobile touch that would be fine.

7- The Panel icons are HUGE size of thumbnail! I am set at 1920x1080

8- I love Synaptic but with any theme chosen I have a hard time telling what is installed or needs updating. Even going in prefs and changing colors doesnt help, unless relaunching a few times. I think its those small badges on the icons,even changing sys icons doesnt help. I assume its been modded or hard coded to use some strange theme?

- Perhaps consider adding driver manager and fixing netrunner black theme (doesn’t do or change anything). I often add ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers & ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa .  When using open drivers oibaf seems to be faster. As long as you follow the short directions on the ppa about modding a config file after install. I am not sure how it would affect this distro,perhaps cherrypicking patches? Even adding a config wizard on startup would be great. To allow me to set how prefs windows,sound,etc are set. Like a tricked out OEM install. (This has not been implemented in any distro I know of and may be too hard.)

I am testing this distro specifically for an old MacMini to be used as a media player. Once I am satisfied, it will be installed onto that. I am only doing this as my Xbox (First ONE/Original) with XBMC is on its last legs. It died day before and I was able to resurrect it yesterday. Its amazing how popular and useful its been. A ancient P3 733mhz and 64MB RAM! Someone pointed out "going strong over 5,128+days after release"... lower than a modern pi! lol Its been faithful for me at least 10 yrs and a great investment.
I got it for 50$ from a pawn shop, with sole intent of modding.

I am impressed how far KDE has come in the last few years and decade especially. I am in search of a good or excellent Wayland based experience. I really like the distro allot so far. Seems more Complete than the KDE Neon xxx wayland editions.  Thank you for your hard work, please keep it up!
The panel is quite easy to change (two clicks) - but i have to agree. Maybe confusing if you're not that firm with Linux.

I wondered about the double-click to - didn't have that since i switched from win.

About adblock i have to strongly agree - ublock is much better + adblock has changed its reputation to the worst. Also most of the ads on my usual websites i visit are not blocked. Adblock was good in the past - but ublock is much better - and also open source.

I actually like the maui button and the whole screen menu. As i liked the kde 4 option to have all your
favorites/basically the menu on the desktop I think this is really a good solution.

Updates: if you run maui a little you'lll see that the mint-updater appears - so no synapic for that.

Actually so far (besides some probably hardware related problems) I like maui so far.
Although it is quite big with 2gb (but actually makes most programm choices like i would). I still wonder why no one makes an "empty" distribution with a script or similar that lets you choose your favourite programms while install/on first start (or suggests some basic types (the gamer/the surfer package etc) ) or import "your programm list" - so the install image is small and fast. But thats another topic.
Hi unimatrix,

thanks for your feedback, we have thought about the same things and like in case of ublock vs. adblock, there are drawbacks for ublock being a bit more agressive as well (like it blocks complete sites with warnings, which could scare users also).
Synaptic theme is default, if we change it for gtk-programs, it would affect other gtk apps as well, though the icon choice is agreed unfortunate.
(26th August 2016, 9:03)kaktux Wrote: [ -> ]Actually so far (besides some probably hardware related problems) I like maui so far.
Although it is quite big with 2gb (but actually makes most programm choices like i would). I still wonder why no one makes an "empty" distribution with a script or similar that lets you choose your favourite programms while install/on first start (or suggests some basic types (the gamer/the surfer package etc) ) or import "your programm list" - so the install image is small and fast. But thats another topic.

I would also really like to see an installation that allows to select favorite programs or some "bundles" of programs.