Maui Forums

Full Version: Black screen on boot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Ah ok then don't try it.
Hmm... the problem is I don't know if the issue is in the kernel, drm or the xorg-driver of Radeon.
Of course you could try installing a mainline kernel from ubuntus extra ppa for mainline kernels. However if it's an issue in the xorg-driver or drm it won't be able to fix it.
(1st September 2016, 22:17)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]Ah ok then don't try it.
Hmm... the problem is I don't know if the issue is in the kernel, drm or the xorg-driver of Radeon.
Of course you could try installing a mainline kernel from ubuntus extra ppa for mainline kernels. However if it's an issue in the xorg-driver or drm it won't be able to fix it.

Could you give me instructions for that? After your vacation is fine, though.
Just install the image and header deb packages for the specific kernel version from here: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
I suggest the newest 4.7.2 kernel from here http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.7.2/
Just download the amd64 linux-headers all and headers-generic aswell as the one image deb without lowlatency tag
(1st September 2016, 22:32)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]Just install the image and header deb packages for the specific kernel version from here: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
I suggest the newest 4.7.2 kernel from here http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.7.2/
Just download the amd64 linux-headers all and headers-generic aswell as the one image deb without lowlatency tag

It says

Quote:You likely do not want to install this package directly. Instead, install the linux-generic meta-package, which will ensure that upgrades work correctly, and that supporting packages are also installed.

so should I go ahead with the installation anyway?
For testing purposes go ahead anyways. I doubt it will complain about other packages. But you can always add this ppa and use the 'official' method.
(2nd September 2016, 10:00)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]For testing purposes go ahead anyways. I doubt it will complain about other packages. But you can always add this ppa and use the 'official' method.

It looked like it installed properly with no errors once I removed virtualbox and ndiswrapper but there is no entry for it in grub.
Hmm...
Code:
sudo update-grub
should create a boot entry.
(2nd September 2016, 17:28)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm...
Code:
sudo update-grub
should create a boot entry.

It finds it, but still doesn't show it in the grub menu. Nor does it show the Maui theme, even though it finds that, too.

Code:
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found theme: /boot/grub/themes/maui/theme.txt
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.7.2-040702-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.7.2-040702-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-36-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.4.0-36-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-34-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.4.0-34-generic
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.elf
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
Found Netrunner 14.2 (Frontier) (14.2) on /dev/sda1
Found Peppermint 7 Seven (7) on /dev/sda6
Found OpenMandriva Lx 3.0 (3.0) on /dev/sda9
done
Do you maybe have another grub from another linux distro installed? Maybe this one is shown instead of the Maui one
(3rd September 2016, 9:30)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]Do you maybe have another grub from another linux distro installed? Maybe this one is shown instead of the Maui one

Maybe? I thought I was letting it overwrite the one on the MBR with each install.  How can I tell? It WAS showing the Maui themed grub until I installed the new kernel, though.

Not to change the subject but Maui needs some serious help in the looks and theme department. The very grayed bland grub background and splash theme, the very bright blue window decorations and icons, and the orange and black space themed default background...none it if works together. It isn't cohesive. The only part that feels like something called Maui is the blue window decorations. Netrunner has always had a very cohesive, pulled together look that Maui is not showing. It looks very pieced together. I know it's new so I hope you just haven't gotten to that part yet. It feels like a step down. Sad
Pages: 1 2 3 4