Maui Forums

Full Version: Update Manager - font problem - weird symbols
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi there,

it is only a small bug and doesn't appear everytime (mostly a restart helps).
But as I had it a few times now: the update manager misses letters/shows weird symbols.

A screenshot probably says more than words:

[Image: Screenshot_20160919_085746.png]Bilder hochladen

Can anyone confirm that?
Any idea what could be causing these problem?
It looks to me like a graphicscard/driver issue. Did you tried disabling desktop effects or change its OpenGL version there ?

Does this only happen with mintupdate ? Do you have other GTK Apps like GMusicbrowser which behave like this ?

I saw such thing on old Intel X200s once and there it was a memory issue. As the memory is shared with the inbuilt graphicschip you needed two exactly same RAM chips inside otherwise it could produce such weirdness all over the place.
(19th September 2016, 12:19)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]It looks to me like a graphicscard/driver issue. Did you tried disabling desktop effects or change its OpenGL version there ?

Does this only happen with mintupdate ? Do you have other GTK Apps like GMusicbrowser which behave like this ?

I saw such thing on old Intel X200s once and there it was a memory issue. As the memory is shared with the inbuilt graphicschip you needed two exactly same RAM chips inside otherwise it could produce such weirdness all over the place.

no gtk (well i think it isn't) - but it happened with mozilla thunderbird once. 

But guess graphic could be - using a not-much-power-consuming cpu (intel j1900) has its pros and cons Wink - i will look into the graphic settings.
Thunderbird uses gtk for its UI
This same thing happened to me today after a resume from sleep. The window manager KWin restarted itself with a message that the graphics card was reset and after that most of the newly started applications had characters missing. Update manager and Pidgin among themselves. After a system reboot all works fine. Any idea?
I've seen this many, many times over the years. That's a graphics driver and/or compositor issue. In many cases the remedy was different depending on the GPU, drivers and settings used. All you can do is try different combinations of settings until you find one that works.

Note: If this is on an Intel GPU, you could try switching from SNA to UXA for the xorg driver, this has been known to work in almost all cases when the SNA driver has become buggy.
Yes, switching to UXA might help, but isn't SNA supposed to be much faster than UXA? I've also tried modesetting driver and that is not usable at all - has all sorts of problems (I cannot believe that Debian went on putting it as default).
It depends on the device you are using. On my old Intel card (gma x3100) the SNA is almost unusable and slow.