Maui Forums

Full Version: [Solved] - Copy web address causes 4-second popup menu.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I first made this enquiry in April this year, in the Mint KDE forum, as my Tower's OS then was still Mint KDE; https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p...6&t=219848. No root cause or solution was ever found [by me], & so the annoying bug continued. I'm now asking here in Maui, because i'm a bit shocked to discover, having recently replaced Mint KDE with Maui, that the problem STILL occurs.

When i installed Maui, i formatted my / partition, thus replacing Mint with Maui, but i reused my /opt & encrypted /home partitions. I have these possible ideas:
  1. The "bug" has continued across from Mint KDE to Maui because there is a file, somewhere within the inherited ~/.kde folder, or somewhere else in my /home, that is being read & actioned by Maui... ie, if i could find that file & delete it, the problem would be solved   --OR--
  2. It isn't actually a "bug" at all, but instead it's a deliberate "feature" of KDE... ie, maybe KDE then also has a setting hidden somewhere i've not found, with which i could disable this infuriating "feature"?
Does anyone have any ideas please?

PS - though my link to my original Mint posts show i had some confusion initially about my Lappy [which also back then ran the same Mint 17.3 KDE as Tower], eventually i confirmed that it too had this annoying problem. Recently [but a few weeks before upgrading Tower] i migrated Lappy from Mint 17.3 KDE to Mint 18 Xfce. Just like with Tower, i only formatted its / but reused its /opt & encrypted /home partitions. Therefore if the problem root cause is some corrupted ~/.kde [etc] file, that file would still exist in Lappy's /home. Here's the important point though; ever since Lappy's OS stopped being a KDE DE, Lappy stopped having this annoying fault. If only i could also eliminate it from Tower.
Hey that's a feature of the clipboard manager Klipper.
To deactivate just right click the clipboard manager in the tray (might be hidden) and configure it. (by default it's a notepad like icon)
Iam not 100% sure how it is called in Plasma 5 but I think you can deactivate mime-type actions in the action subsection of the Klipper config.
(1st October 2016, 9:22)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]Hey that's a feature of the clipboard manager Klipper.
To deactivate just right click the clipboard manager in the tray (might be hidden) and configure it. (by default it's a notepad like icon)
Iam not 100% sure how it is called in Plasma 5 but I think you can deactivate mime-type actions in the action subsection of the Klipper config.

Thank you. Klipper -- i had no idea (i never use it). Sadly however the little bugger is still generating that infuriating time-stealing popup menu. I have disabled "Actions" completely [per Help's "Actions can be disabled completely by pressing the shortcut Ctrl+Alt+X"] ... but the damn popup continues.  i have reduced the "Timeout for action popups" from 8 seconds to 0 seconds, but the rotten popup still appears, & still lingers. I have de-selected "Enable MIME-based actions", but the is-pissing-me-off-severely popup still appears. I have deleted every entry in the "Advanced - Disable Actions for Windows of Type WM_Class" section of Configure Klipper, but ... STILL the useless popup appears every time i copy an email or web address. Gahhhhhhhh, i hate it. 

Do you think i have to either logout or reboot for the new settings to activate? This is a really aggravating problem; i can't imagine why anyone would find this behaviour helpful. 
Maybe a relogin is necessary for changes to take effect after you disabled the actions.
(1st October 2016, 10:28)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe a relogin is necessary for changes to take effect after you disabled the actions.

No good i'm afraid. Logging out did not help, rebooting did not help; the annoying popup still occurs. Is it possible for me to uninstall Klipper, or would KDE / Plasma5 then go bananas? I just can't understand why this infuriating problem function is present, & why it apparently cannot even be disabled. 

BTW, when i logged out & in again, as per my Con#1 here https://forums.mauilinux.org/showthread....5#pid39415 , i needed to again rearrange all my windows across my VDs, which i like to do via Desktop Grid. To my shock & disbelief, after dragging the first window to its correct VD... KWin/Plasmashell crashed. Oh no!! As per my https://forums.mauilinux.org/showthread....9#pid39439 ,  earlier today i thought i'd now solved this fault. I had to actually reboot before my desktop was fully-functional again... but for how long? [The Compositor & NVidia Driver settings are still correct].

Hence, what earlier in the day seemed to be a successful day, is now drawing to a close with repeat failure on repeat failure. I feel very disappointed now. 
Isn't one of the entries in the popup menu an entry to deactivate this menu?

And if nothing helps in the menu there is always the hotkey Ctrl+Alt+X which should trigger between activate that menu on every copy or deactivate.
As for the other issue we'll discuss it in the other thread best.
(1st October 2016, 11:12)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]Isn't one of the entries in the popup menu an entry to deactivate this menu?

And if nothing helps in the menu there is always the hotkey Ctrl+Alt+X which should trigger between activate that menu on every copy or deactivate.
As for the other issue we'll discuss it in the other thread best.

I agree that the Help mentions something about an item in the popup being to deactivate the menu... BUT ... my popups do not contain any such entry. Here's what my popups always contain, in a vertical list:
  • Send page
  • Open with Firefox
  • Send URL
  • Open with Mozilla
  • Open with Konqueror

In one of my earlier replies to you i said " I have disabled "Actions" completely [per Help's "Actions can be disabled completely by pressing the shortcut Ctrl+Alt+X"] ". It was one of the several things i've already tried that have not helped.

I've now spent many hours studying a multitude of my VMs. Some are Mint 17.3 KDE4, some are Maui that was installed over the top of Mint 17.3 KDE4, & some are "pure" Maui installed into virgin VMs. I'm now pretty confused & tired. 

In the Mint VMs, Klipper is an actual pgm appearing in the Applications Menu, & it runs as a service. In the System Tray it appears as "Klipper". When i copy any email or web address, that bloody popup menu appears, & no setting will disable it. These symptoms are exactly what plagued my "real" Mint KDE [ie, on my SSD, the OS which i have replaced within the past week with Maui].

In my "real" Maui, if i kill the Klipper service in System Monitor, then launch Clipboard's [not Klipper's] Configure dialog, go to its Shortcuts section, ALL global shortcuts are blank. If i click on the row for "Enable Clipboard Actions" & attempt to re-enable the default of Ctrl+Alt+X, an error msg pops up saying "This shortcut conflicts with ... shortcut "Ctrl+Alt+X" in Application Klipper for action Enable Clipboard Actions". The really truly insane stupid ironic thing is, though, that according to my Maui's Application Menu, there is NO such pgm called "Klipper". Conversely, when i launch KRunner & search for Klipper, it gives me an option to "Run klipper", & if i do, the service reappears in System Monitor.  

In the VMs which used to be Mint KDE, & now are Maui via install into root over the top of Mint, "Klipper" is not in the Menu, it doesn't run as a service, & in the System Tray it appears as "Clipboard" not "Klipper". If i launch KRunner & type klipper, it gives me an option to "Run klipper", & if i do, the service then appears in System Monitor. Either way however, copying web & email addresses do NOT generate the popup -- this is the behaviour i want in my "real" Maui. This seems to be totally contradictory to my "real" Maui, which i also installed over Mint.

In the VMs that are "pure" Maui, there is no such thing as "Klipper"; it's not in the Menu, it doesn't run as a service, & in the System Tray it appears as "Clipboard". In these VMs, copying any email or web address does NOT generate the popup -- there is NO annoying popup -- this is the behaviour i want in my "real" Maui. Although their KRunners do also offer me the chance to Run Klipper, if i click it, NO entry appears in System Monitor.

This is utterly confusing, & at the moment i have no idea how to solve it (i was never able to solve it in Mint KDE4, & this is a disappointing start to Maui that the problem has somehow carried over, still currently unsolvable). I still fear however that this problem might be a hangover of not having formatted my /home when i installed Maui, & so maybe some old KDE4 Klipper config file hiding away there is confusing Maui's "Clipboard" [which seems to be the Plasma5 replacement of KDE4's Klipper]. If i have to reinstall Maui all over again, just to fix this silly misbehaviour, that would be pretty terrible [given all the large amount of customisations i've been doing over the past week]. 
(1st October 2016, 9:07)kdemeoz Wrote: [ -> ]I first made this enquiry in April this year, in the Mint KDE forum, as my Tower's OS then was still Mint KDE; https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p...6&t=219848. No root cause or solution was ever found [by me], & so the annoying bug continued. I'm now asking here in Maui, because i'm a bit shocked to discover, having recently replaced Mint KDE with Maui, that the problem STILL occurs.

When i installed Maui, i formatted my / partition, thus replacing Mint with Maui, but i reused my /opt & encrypted /home partitions. I have these possible ideas:

1. The "bug" has continued across from Mint KDE to Maui because there is a file, somewhere within the inherited ~/.kde folder, or somewhere else in my /home, that is being read & actioned by Maui... ie, if i could find that file & delete it, the problem would be solved   --OR--
  2. It isn't actually a "bug" at all, but instead it's a deliberate "feature" of KDE... ie, maybe KDE then also has a setting hidden somewhere i've not found, with which i could disable this infuriating "feature"?
Does anyone have any ideas please?

PS - though my link to my original Mint posts show i had some confusion initially about my Lappy [which also back then ran the same Mint 17.3 KDE as Tower], eventually i confirmed that it too had this annoying problem. Recently [but a few weeks before upgrading Tower] i migrated Lappy from Mint 17.3 KDE to Mint 18 Xfce. Just like with Tower, i only formatted its / but reused its /opt & encrypted /home partitions. Therefore if the problem root cause is some corrupted ~/.kde [etc] file, that file would still exist in Lappy's /home. Here's the important point though; ever since Lappy's OS stopped being a KDE DE, Lappy stopped having this annoying fault. If only i could also eliminate it from Tower.

I can see in your first photo the drop down menu and I can't remember in Mint's clipper the last two entries (Writing direction - Language settings). Actually it remembers me a clipboard of an office application or something similar - not a desktop clipboard. Here in Maui I can't see these clipboard options too (after select any text or a web link and doing right click). You say that the problem occurs only when you copy a web address to the CLIPBOARD... but, you got an annoying pop up menu which is impossible to be coming from the plasma clipboard or the KDE 4 Mint clipper. So, I think that there is something else , an other application that somehow working in parallel when you copy a web link, perhaps in your browser (any addon?) ! What browser is this ? Are there any special settings about copy - paste links...
Have a nice Sunday !
That still seems to be Klipper somehow.
But now with you having the old Klipper config and the new clipboard widget I would suggest removing klipper package first.
The clipboard widget should run fine without the old klipper package installed.

Then delete any old configs of it in ~/.kde/share/config/klipperrc

Hope that works then after a logout and login.
Hi fanisatt & leszek

Thank you both for your replies.

I want & need to offer you both, especially you leszek, my humble & deeply embarrassed apology for having wasted your time. I am simply an idiot, & here's why.

The problem, the curse which has frustrated & annoyed me for the past couple of years, now in two entirely different KDE distros, is now solved. The fault, the blame, lies 100% with me; not with KDE, Plasma5, Klipper, Clipboard, Mint, or Maui; not with my decision to reuse my /home partition when i installed Maui over Mint... it lies utterly with stupid me.

This morning, whilst i was looking for something else, pure serendipity lead me to stumble over THE root cause, & hence the solution. All it took to eliminate this aggravating problem, was two mouse clicks. Now, there are no more 4-second popups. All this time i had been looking in the wrong places, at the wrong things, & blaming innocent software & settings.

The actual root cause was a setting i'd either not previously noticed, or else never correctly understood, in Cairo-Dock, specifically in its Clipboard History settings. In a subsection is an item called Actions, & it was active. I simply then deactivated it. Applying that simple but huge change solved the problem!

[attachment=1028]

I am now very pleased & relieved, but also very embarrassed. Sorry to you both, & thanks to you both for really trying to help me.