Maui Forums

Full Version: Plasma 5.8.0 - Calendar widget shows wrong week start day.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My enquiry was originally posted in thread "Plasma 5.8.0 - Calendar widget doesn't show PIM events anymore", but i've now transferred my text from that to this new one, dedicated to the topic, rather than co-opt that separate thread.

My original query:   "My question is slightly tangential -- how can i make the calendar in this widget show weeks commencing Mondays, not Sundays as it currently does, pls?"
.....................................................................................................................................

rocky7x  Offline 
Codeslinger
#13 Friday, 7th October, 2016, 19:40
Exactly as leszek stated, you have to set the regional settings to the one that has Monday as the 1st day. What I do is I go to the System Settings->Account Settings->Formats, there I set the Region to American (since I want to have the environment in English) and then check the Detailed Settings checkbox, and in it I set all of the settings to my country. After logout/login you will see the calendar in format of your country.
.....................................................................................................................................

kdemeoz  Online 
Codeslinger
#14 Friday, 7th October, 2016, 20:25 (This post was last modified: Less than 1 minute ago by kdemeoz.)
Thank you both, but it did not fix the problem here, sadly. Sniff, sob...

Maybe it'll work correctly for me once we get 5.8.1...?

And now my latest text:

This has continued to niggle away at me, so this morning i did some more experiments. Building off that latest advice from rocky7x, & FYI i'm in Oz [Australia], i found that by retaining "Australia - Australian English (en_AU)" in the widget's Set Time Format... dialog's "Region" field, & manually setting it also in all the individual fields below EXCEPT "Time", then choosing somewhere different than Oz for "Time", the widget's calendar then correctly shows weeks beginning Mondays.

However, there must be bugs here, i think. For my previous reply, when i reported that the advice failed for me, i had also used "Australia - Australian English (en_AU)" in the "Time" field, but the widget's calendar remained wrong [which certainly IS an error, coz in Oz our weeks DO begin Mon not Sun]. Now today i found that if i use New Zealand in this field, calendar is also wrong, BUT, if i instead use UK, or Norfolk Island, or even Anguilla, the widget's calendar becomes correct.

I've not spent any further effort testing other locations, but the fact that [at least] Australia & NZ in the "Time" field produce an INCORRECT calendar, logically implies there's a bug here somewhere that needs fixing.
I think this is worth taking upstream and see if you can find any error reports on bugs.kde.org and if not just create one.
It's been a few weeks since i last launched my KDE Neon VM, but earlier today i did. It was still on Plasma 5.7.5, but there were >300 updates waiting. After updating, it became Plasma 5.8.2. I was quite disappointed to note that, in its latest guise, this bug is not fixed.

As an Australian, in Oz [Australia], it's "sub-optimal" that i'll have to continue doing my discovered workaround per my https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=370445 post, apparently even after we get 5.8.2 in Maui, unless the Maui Devs can manage to achieve what apparently the KDE Devs have not.

"Discovered Workaround:
i found that by retaining "Australia - Australian English (en_AU)" in the widget's "Set Time Format..." dialog's "Region" field, & manually setting it also in all individual fields below, EXCEPT "Time", then choosing somewhere DIFFERENT than Oz or NZ for "Time", the widget's calendar then correctly shows weeks beginning Mondays. Eg, if i instead use UK, or Norfolk Island, or Anguilla [etc (i did not try any others)], the widget's calendar then becomes correct. See my picture; the associated calendar is correct ONLY because "Time" field is NOT using Oz or NZ.
"