Maui Forums

Full Version: Black screen on login after update
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I believe it may have been the systemd update from a few days ago. I'm using the nvidia proprietary drivers, currently at version 370. I tried compiling and installing a new kernel version (4.8.1) since that worked when I had the same issue with Netrunner. The funny thing is that both intel and nvidia worked via prime previously with Maui whereas it didn't with Netrunner. I have a Skylake CPU providing Intel graphics and a GTX 960m graphics chip. Any suggestions for where to start diagnosing the issue? I'm able to get to a TTY when the screen is black. Intel graphics work properly.
I had a similar issue when I was trying to make the Nvidia card work. The problem was in xorg.conf file that was generated and should not be there. When I installed the Nvidia driver, I had to manually delete the xorg.conf file from /etc/X11 and run sudo prime-select intel from command line. Then it worked and then I used the Nvidia tool to switch the card. But sometimes it doesn't work either. I think the problem is on the Nvidia driver, when I used 364 it was OK.
I tried the following:

sudo apt-get purge nvidia-370
sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
sudo apt-get install nvidia-370
sudo prime-select nvidia
sudo reboot

but I was still greeted by a black screen when my laptop rebooted. Interestingly, I can type my password and press enter and I hear the login sound.
I had this same problem (I updated my VMWare machine to see Smile - but only after I shut VMWare Fusion down entirely. Up to that point, just shutting the vm down and restarting it, caused no problems. But now, I see the login screen and can type in my password. I hear the login sound also, but then just blackness.
I can open krunner and type 'plasmashell' into a konsole window as suggested in another thread, which makes everything return ... but interestingly, the missing-letters-in-menus problem also returned.

(VirtualBox (still on 5.7.3) is running great so far, all letters intact and everything working. I think I won't update it quite yet!)
(17th October 2016, 0:12)atowler Wrote: [ -> ]I tried the following:

sudo prime-select nvidia
sudo reboot

but I was still greeted by a black screen when my laptop rebooted. Interestingly, I can type my password and press enter and I hear the login sound.

Please try with driver 364 and instead of selecting nvidia, first try with prime-select intel, then login and use the nvidia graphics tool to select the nvidia card, then logout and login back.
(18th October 2016, 9:49)rocky7x Wrote: [ -> ]
(17th October 2016, 0:12)atowler Wrote: [ -> ]I tried the following:

sudo prime-select nvidia
sudo reboot

Please try with driver 364 and instead of selecting nvidia, first try with prime-select intel, then login and use the nvidia graphics tool to select the nvidia card, then logout and login back.

I just tried this and it won't switch to nvidia using prime-select or using nvidia-settings. It says it switched but when I reboot or logout it's still in intel mode according to the nvidia tool. Interestingly, prime-select says that mode is unknown when I issue `prime-select query`. I tried starting up a game and it's clearly still in Intel mode.
Have you tried this?

from terminal run: sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
add nomodeset i.e. (GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nomodeset quiet splash")
save the file
from terminal run: sudo update-grub
reboot to check

Also have you installed the Nvidia driver from the Graphics PPA? If not add it with the following command:

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa

Then refresh the repositories and install the nvidia driver from there.

Also please try to read this post:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/760934/gr...a-graphics

Maybe you find something... Unfortunately Ubuntu 16.04 introduced a lot of problems to Nvidia Prime, which is a real PITA.
Still no joy. I'm stuck using Intel for now. Hopefully Maui 2 will resolve the issue. The strange thing is that it used to work just fine and it stopped working after installing an update, though I can't pinpoint which.
I indeed understand your frustration. But this is not Maui's fault, it is the fault of Ubuntu 16.04. so maybe try to google using Ubuntu 16.04 criteria..
(21st October 2016, 19:30)rocky7x Wrote: [ -> ]I indeed understand your frustration. But this is not Maui's fault, it is the fault of Ubuntu 16.04. so maybe try to google using Ubuntu 16.04 criteria..

That being the case, hopefully it is better in Ubuntu 16.10, which I believe Maui 2 will be based off of.