Maui Forums

Full Version: Are there missing settings?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Or maybe I just can't find them. I want to shrink the enormous ugly title bars. There used to be an option in Netrunner to use smaller buttons on the bar and this also shrunk the bar itself. I thought it was under Window Settings but I can't find it anymore. If we don't have the option anymore then, WHY NOT and is there any other way to do it? They are so big and ugly that they are distracting.
The settings you seek are there, but they are a bit buried. And given how infrequently these specific settings need to be changed, buried is probably not a bad choice.

To accomplish what you seek you need to change the point size of the title bar font (which is not buried too deep: System Settings > Font Settings > Window Title (choose your point size)), the border size, and the size of the buttons on the border.

The border size can be found here: System Settings > Desktop Appearance > Window Decorations. In the lower right corner of the window is "Border Size." Tiny might be a good choice.

The button size is in the same Desktop Appearance > Window Decorations. In your general selected Window Decoration (possibly Breeze or Maui?), there is a small unnamed button in the lower left corner. Click it and you will be able to find Button Size. Tiny might be a good choice here, too.

Yep, it's buried. I do wish they would label that small button.
(19th October 2016, 1:56)DrGeoffrey Wrote: [ -> ]The settings you seek are there, but they are a bit buried. And given how infrequently these specific settings need to be changed, buried is probably not a bad choice.

To accomplish what you seek you need to change the point size of the title bar font (which is not buried too deep: System Settings > Font Settings > Window Title (choose your point size)), the border size, and the size of the buttons on the border.

The border size can be found here: System Settings > Desktop Appearance > Window Decorations. In the lower right corner of the window is "Border Size." Tiny might be a good choice.

The button size is in the same Desktop Appearance > Window Decorations. In your general selected Window Decoration (possibly Breeze or Maui?), there is a small unnamed button in the lower left corner. Click it and you will be able to find Button Size. Tiny might be a good choice here, too.

Wow, an unlabeled button. How dumb. I had already tried changing the title font and border size but neither reduced the size of the title bar. I searched everywhere for the button setting and would never have found it without your help. I didn't even realise that little square WAS a button! Finally, my windows look respectable again and not like something a preschooler would use. Thank you so much.
(19th October 2016, 17:06)LNXlady Wrote: [ -> ]
(19th October 2016, 1:56)DrGeoffrey Wrote: [ -> ]The settings you seek are there, but they are a bit buried. And given how infrequently these specific settings need to be changed, buried is probably not a bad choice.

Wow, an unlabeled button. How dumb. I had already tried changing the title font and border size but neither reduced the size of the title bar. I searched everywhere for the button setting and would never have found it without your help. I didn't even realise that little square WAS a button! Finally, my windows look respectable again and not like something a preschooler would use. Thank you so much.

You're welcome.
In fairness to the Maui Devs, or maybe the KDE/Neon Devs [it's so hard to understand who does what, these days], i feel obliged to offer these remarks:

1. In my Maui 1 Plasma 5.8.0, the path is not System Settings > Desktop Appearance > Window Decorations, but instead System Settings > Workspace Appearance > Window Decorations.

2. You both claimed "unnamed button" / "unlabeled button", but [again, in my own installation, at least] IMO that's a bit harsh & actually misleading. Yes there is no text label with this button, but it plainly incorporates a spanner icon (or i suppose to Yanks it's a wrench icon). To me, for years, that's a pretty obvious graphical shorthand denoting something akin to "settings within" or "you can make adjustments here". That's a rather fundamentally different functionality interpretation to a plain unadorned blank button, which was the impression i had from reading this thread, til i checked it out for myself.
[attachment=1044]
(20th October 2016, 4:43)kdemeoz Wrote: [ -> ]In fairness to the Maui Devs, or maybe the KDE/Neon Devs [it's so hard to understand who does what, these days], i feel obliged to offer these remarks:

1. In my Maui 1 Plasma 5.8.0, the path is not System Settings > Desktop Appearance > Window Decorations, but instead System Settings > Workspace Appearance > Window Decorations.

2. You both claimed "unnamed button" / "unlabeled button", but [again, in my own installation, at least] IMO that's a bit harsh & actually misleading. Yes there is no text label with this button, but it plainly incorporates a spanner icon (or i suppose to Yanks it's a wrench icon). To me, for years, that's a pretty obvious graphical shorthand denoting something akin to "settings within" or "you can make adjustments here". That's a rather fundamentally different functionality interpretation to a plain unadorned blank button, which was the impression i had from reading this thread, til i checked it out for myself.

Well, in mine it IS under System Settings > Desktop Appearance > Window Decorations and there is NO wrench or spanner icon on it. It does not look like your screenshot. If he had told me to look for a button with a wrench on it, I'd never have found it. Not sure why yours is different. And I don't think the Maui Devs have anything to do with it, nor did anyone imply they did.
(20th October 2016, 15:30)LNXlady Wrote: [ -> ]
(20th October 2016, 4:43)kdemeoz Wrote: [ -> ]In fairness to the Maui Devs, or maybe the KDE/Neon Devs [it's so hard to understand who does what, these days], i feel obliged to offer these remarks:

Well, in mine it IS under System Settings > Desktop Appearance > Window Decorations and there is NO wrench or spanner icon on it. It does not look like your screenshot. If he had told me to look for a button with a wrench on it, I'd never have found it. Not sure why yours is different. And I don't think the Maui Devs have anything to do with it, nor did anyone imply they did.

Must be a theme difference. No matter. I think the KDE devs are doing a very good job. Alas, no one is perfect.

(At least, that's what my spouse tells me.)
Well, i found the concept of different users having different installation Settings' appearances quite fascinating [no life], so thought i'd dig a bit more. I came up with a partial explanation, but unfortunately also with a deeper mystery.

As well as my "real" Maui OS, i have four Maui VMs, so i fired them up today. By playing around with combinations of settings in them, i can make that spanner icon appear or not appear. My preferred combo, which happens incidentally [it was not my specific plan] to generate those icons [as per my previous picture attached], is:
  • Look & Feel = Maui Plasma
    Widget style = Breeze
    Window Decorations = Plastik
    Desktop Theme = Oxygen
    Icons = Oxygen
    GTK GTK2 Theme = Crux, GTK3 Theme = Breeze, Show icons in GTK buttons = Yes, Icon theme = Hicolor
Obviously therefore, as predicted by DrGeoffrey, you must each use different combos to me. Hence the spanner icon puzzle is solved.

Conversely the mystery has only deepened as to "Workspace Appearance" vs "Desktop Appearance".  Here's my "real" Maui:
[attachment=1047]

Here's Rob's at Linux Quest:
[attachment=1048]

Both of you had "Desktop Appearance" like Rob.

One of my VMs also has "Workspace Appearance" like my "real" Maui, but the other three have "Desktop Appearance" [yet all my VMs & my "real" Maui were installed from the same maui-1-64bit.iso (SHA-512 74d057fce2aa0e8a4503b7cd8ba459cf1fcd11173b3527d6e7b0372ef4eec118ce163a70bb9e1b0714c7e00f425cc402bd0e7a1edaa9055c3f3ef4bbeae86be5), Build Version 20160811.1611]. 

This is collectively all rather weird!
indeed, very weird Smile
we just pushed 5.8.2 for Maui 1 and also to prepare Maui 2, maybe it helps to solve the mystery...
(21st October 2016, 7:14)kdemeoz Wrote: [ -> ]Well, i found the concept of different users having different installation Settings' appearances quite fascinating [no life], so thought i'd dig a bit more. I came up with a partial explanation, but unfortunately also with a deeper mystery.

As well as my "real" Maui OS, i have four Maui VMs, so i fired them up today. By playing around with combinations of settings in them, i can make that spanner icon appear or not appear. My preferred combo, which happens incidentally [it was not my specific plan] to generate those icons [as per my previous picture attached], is:
  • Look & Feel = Maui Plasma
    Widget style = Breeze
    Window Decorations = Plastik
    Desktop Theme = Oxygen
    Icons = Oxygen
    GTK GTK2 Theme = Crux, GTK3 Theme = Breeze, Show icons in GTK buttons = Yes, Icon theme = Hicolor
Obviously therefore, as predicted by DrGeoffrey, you must each use different combos to me. Hence the spanner icon puzzle is solved.

Conversely the mystery has only deepened as to "Workspace Appearance" vs "Desktop Appearance".  Here's my "real" Maui:

Here's Rob's at Linux Quest:

Both of you had "Desktop Appearance" like Rob.

One of my VMs also has "Workspace Appearance" like my "real" Maui, but the other three have "Desktop Appearance" [yet all my VMs & my "real" Maui were installed from the same maui-1-64bit.iso (SHA-512 74d057fce2aa0e8a4503b7cd8ba459cf1fcd11173b3527d6e7b0372ef4eec118ce163a70bb9e1b0714c7e00f425cc402bd0e7a1edaa9055c3f3ef4bbeae86be5), Build Version 20160811.1611]. 

This is collectively all rather weird!

Whichever theme change caused it, the wrench does seem like a better choice than the blank button but I think the previous placement was much better. You still had to go looking for it but it wasn't completely hidden once you did. It was buried but labeled. It's not like it's a potentially dangerous setting that needs to be hidden from normal users to save them from themselves.
Pages: 1 2