Maui Forums

Full Version: [Solved] - Screenlocker broken at Resume from Suspend.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A nasty shock lay in store for me this morning, when i attempted to Resume my Tower from its night's sleep [Suspend]. This routine process previously has not let me down since i adopted Maui, & i do it daily, so i don't understand what went wrong last night when i Suspended [it all seemed normal], or this morning during my attempt to wake it up [Resume]. My attached pic shows the unpleasant error msg that appeared on the monitor, instead of the expected usual Unlock screen.

[attachment=1043]

I have two sets of questions wrt this shock:

1. Why would this have occurred? Is a root cause known? Can i do anything to avoid it repeating?

2. Contrary to the screen msg instructions, i could NOT salvage this, & had to REISUB. I could not get to a tty; Ctrl+Alt+F2 [or +F1, +F3, +F4, +F5, +F6] simply produced a black screen. Whilst this screenlocker failure event was a first for me, failure to get to a tty has happened a few times before in Maui --> WHY? What is wrong with my installation that the commonplace method to migrate from graphical session to tty does not work?
Sounds to me like a graphics driver issue. As you are using the proprietary nvidia drivers this is to be expected. They usually interfere with standby.

As it is a proprietary driver there is not much you can do besides switching to the free driver.
My logical difficulty with your comment is that i have been Suspending my Tower's Maui since the night of initial installation [26 Sept], i have been using the NVidia drivers since that same date, & every subsequent mornings' Resume has been 100% successful, until yesterday morning's fatal exception. This morning's Resume also worked correctly.

Surely if the root cause of yesterday's failure was simply that i've been using NVidia not Nouveau, then Suspend - Resume should never have been working for me?

Also, i would still appreciate advice please on the other matter i asked... why might it be that i consistently cannot migrate from graphical session to tty?
My explanation applies to both the tty switching and the standby.
The standby not working all the time might be one consequence of the driver not working as it should all the time.

For the tty switching there is a potential fix by explictely telling the kernel to load the tty in a specific vga mode. See this thread here http://askubuntu.com/questions/487868/no...dia-driver

The nomodeset part usually should be handled by the nvidia driver itself (at least when you use the packages that ubuntu provides it blacklists nouveau so basically the same as nomodeset)
Thanks. My referenced line in grub is currently:
Code:
#GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

Obviously i'll need to uncomment it, but could you pls clarify how this line needs to read after edit? Where specifically do i insert the "nomodeset" in relation to theĀ "quiet splash" pls?
It should look like this:
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"
leszek, thanks so much! Now as you / that link had forecast, i can once again do Ctrl+Alt+F2 [or +F3, +F4, +F5, +F6] to get to TTY, then Ctrl+Alt+F7 to return to my graphical session. Excellent.

When i was in TTY2, i saw something interesting... it identified itself as "Maui 2".