Maui Forums

Full Version: (solved) Help, it broke.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have Maui dual-booting with Apple on my macbook pro.  Up until now, it has worked very well.  Last night, after using Maui, I shut the laptop lid (didn't log-out or shut things off).  This morning, it resumed fine, but the internet wasn't working.  (I could see the available wifi networks, but 'connect' was greyed out.)

After a while, I shut it off and booted into my mac.  When I tried to return to the Maui side, I was greeted by a black "Welcome to emergency mode.  After logging in, type journalctl -xb to view system logs." screen.  

I obediently viewed the system logs, but am little wiser.  I assume the ones that were red are the problems?  

Those are:

dev-disk-by\x2dpartlabel-Untitled.device: Dev dev-disk-by\x2dpartlabel - Untitled device appeared twice with different system paths /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:if.2/ata1/host0/target0:0:0:0:0/block/sda/sda4 and sys/devices.....block/sda/sda5  

(I had my iphone plugged in to recharge it, and it showed up in Dolphin - I think it might have called itself untitled?  I don't remember for sure, but I clicked 'safely remove this device' before unplugging it and closing the laptop.  The partition that I've installed Maui onto on my harddrive is also called Untitled, but I don't know if that's what it's referring to here or not, or why it would still think there were two.)

Failed to mount /media/chelle/cdrom.  

(I had had a cd in the drive, but had ejected it before closing down last night.)

systemd-udevd[408] unable to EVIOCGABS device "/dev/input/event5" - this was repeated 4 times in a row.

What do I do now?

I forgot, I also had plugged in an old HD via usb, that has a mac partition and a blank Untitled partition on it, for a while.  Maybe that is the second Untitled that it is confused about?  But I also removed that and unplugged it before closing the laptop, so I don't know why it would be looking for it on rebooting.
Am now slightly embarrassed. I'd forgotten that earlier, in trying to solve a different problem, I'd changed something in the fstab file. I thought I had put it back the way it was originally, so didn't even think of it possibly being the problem. Turns out I'd made a typo; when I fixed that, I could boot again.
Oooh but i can sympathise with you, definitely! Maybe 2 years ['ish] ago, quite new to Linux, i edited my fstab unaware that i was making a major punctuation / syntax error (i was following an online guide to making Linux better with SSDs, which if i'd only also read all the article's Comments first, would have made me realise NOT to follow it as the writer badly got it wrong]. That horrible feeling of my tummy falling into the ground when i rebooted, to only a black screen -- yuk! Glad you emerged victorious.  Smile