Maui Forums

Full Version: [Solved] - Synaptic & Update Manager ignore my password
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi. This problem happened a LOT when my Tower & Lappy still ran Mint 17.x KDE4, but this morning is the first time it's happened to me in Maui. Bummer.

Symptom 1:   Launch Update Manager & attempt to update package(s) when indicated. Enter normal password when prompted. Password dialog closes, U/M is again focused, but nothing further occurs [ie, no updates proceed].

Symptom 2:   Attempt to launch Synaptic from Application Menu. Enter normal password when prompted. Password dialog closes, but Synaptic never appears.

Symptom 3:   Attempt to launch Synaptic in cli, get msg:   "Trace/breakpoint trap".

Symptom 4:   Attempt to run "sudo dpkg --configure -a" in cli; nothing happens except cursor moves to new line with normal SOE prompt (ie, just as if the previous line entry had never occurred].

Unexpectedly, using 2 of the available updates i'd noticed at #1 above as test-case, running "Z97-HD3:~$ sudo apt-get install libxnvctrl0 nvidia-settings" in cli worked perfectly. So why is my sudo password accepted & acted-upon here, but not in the above cases?

Back in Mint, 100% of the time that this problem arose, i noticed that /tmp/kde-moi had LOST its usually-present file "xauth-1000-_0". However this morning in Maui, that file still exists. In Mint, 100% of the time this problem arose, the only solution was to reboot. Once i post this new topic i shall reboot Maui, & hope that also fixes it... but the central question remains; WHY does this occur & HOW can i solve it permanently so no more reboots are needed for it?
I have never noticed this issue either in Linux Mint KDE 64bit (I was a Mint user for years), or in MAUI but ... I have to report that I generally don't use kwallet (perhaps there is a connection - I dont' know)!
I'm not completely surprised that you never had this, because LOTS of online searches back when i still used KDE4, & then again just recently when it bit me in Maui, revealed ZERO hits for my described symptoms. There's lots of cases where error messages in the UI occurred, but none i found matching mine of no error msgs. Yet i have had sooooooooooo many instances of these faults [talking KDE4 & Plasma5 combined], necessitating reboots, that i'm incredulous to be the only such user.

I am mindful that, as well as using kwallet, i also use my encrypted /home partition that came from Mint 17.3 KDE4 [as discussed in previous topics], & i've gradually become more & more suspicious that maybe some old festering KDE4 config fault might be raising its ugly head to cause me fresh misery in Maui. As unpleasant as the task will be, i'm slowly coming to the view that i possibly should do a fresh Maui2 install, this time formatting both / & /home to blow away any remaining KDE4 cobwebs & snails. However, as per here https://forums.mauilinux.org/showthread....2#pid40572, even that option seems unavailable to me for now. 
@kdemeoz,

Never in my life have I had this no problem with Mint KDE 17.1; 17.2; 17.3; Mint KDE 18; Cinnamon.... Yesterday I read someone had a problem with the login password in Ubuntu 14.04. Never with any Linux I had no problem with passwordom.
Thanks. The circumstantial evidence is accumulating that there's something wrong at my end, & my biggest suspicion remains that i recycled my KDE4 encrypted /home partition when i installed Maui, rather than formatting it along with /. Though i shudder at the amount of work involved, i suspect i might need to do a fresh install.
It has just occurred again [first time since my last post about it]. Looks like i'm now another step closer to having to do a clean reinstall. Damn.
It recurred twice more since the preceding post, + a few days ago Tower completely froze [even REISUB was ignored, necessitating a hard reset]. That was the last straw, so yesterday i blew away all vestiges of Mint 17.x KDE4 that might have been fighting with Maui [manifesting in a raft of annoying hassles caused (i suspect] by my original decision months ago to convert my Tower from Mint 17 KDE4 to Maui but reusing its encrypted /home partition]. Hence yesterday i rebuilt Tower with a complete SSD format & clean-install of Maui. i'll now mark this thread provisionally Solved.