Maui Forums

Full Version: VIDEO ISSUES?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ever since the last update... I have been experiencing a lot of flickering video and then stuff doesn't work right.
So, I have to reboot. This was happening before, but not a lot. Now it's happening a lot!

What is the deal?

I am using an ATI card. Not sure of the model.
MSI motherboard with 16 gigs mem and an SSD.
As a Linux user for many years I have installed some Ubuntu based OSs and some others (like Fedora - Corora - PC Linux OS etc) to different computers or to the same multiboot computer, but always with NVIDIA graphics cards and the appropriate and recommended linux drivers (GT 710 - 9500 GT and an older one years ago).
Regarding to the above reported issue (screen flickering) I have generally noticed a "long term" point of difference between the Ubuntu based OSs and the others.
Surely , it is a subjective estimation.....
I think that the others have an advantage in this field of graphics quality and I don't know why !
When I say "graphics quality" I mean a "better feeling" watching the same video or playing the same version of a game (like SuperTuxKart) with the same user settings on the same hardware with different OSs.
Sometimes it is more than a better feeling.....!!!!
Which AMD card are you using exactly?
Did you try turning off the desktop effects to try out if it improves stuff (Alt+Shift+F12 toggles between off and on of desktop effects).
(22nd November 2016, 11:03)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]Which AMD card are you using exactly?
Did you try turning off the desktop effects to try out if it improves stuff (Alt+Shift+F12 toggles between off and on of desktop effects).

You mean, ATI? I have an ATI graphics card.

Nothing happens when depressing the above keys.
AMD bought ATI so yeah doesn't really matter if I call them ATI or AMD cards here.

Also Alt+Shift+F12 does nothing for you at all or simply disabling the effects does not help solving the issue?
(24th November 2016, 10:57)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]AMD bought ATI so yeah doesn't really matter if I call them ATI or AMD cards here.

Also Alt+Shift+F12 does nothing for you at all or simply disabling the effects does not help solving the issue?

The keys all depressed at the same time, do nothing.
That is strange as they should toggle between effects off and on
The difference between on and off may not be noticeable depending on the opengl / xrender settings.