Maui Forums

Full Version: Grub doesn't load on Dual Boot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I can't start Maui after a fresh install, because Grub is not loading. Windows 10 loads without the option to load Maui. On install I chose "Replace a Partition". I have a 500GB Partition on my 750GB SSD for Windows and used the left 250GB for Maui. Did I something wrong? Huh
UEFI or Legacy mode?
Legacy
It should've installed the bootloader. Do you know what it displayed on the summary page of the installer in regards to bootloader target?
Also keep in mind if the windows 10 installation is uefi you can't install a Linux distribution as legacy/bios mode because the partition is gpt instead of msdos and so the bootloader can't install in the mbr.
It even told me that the installation of the bootloader on sdd (which is my ssd) was successful...
So it installed on sdd. What is the first primary hd/ssd on your system? Maybe it tries booting of the wrong device.
It is my primary disk in terms of the bootorder in bios. When it comes to the connection, it is not the first and it is connected to my sata3 port. But that shouldn't be the problem, since Maui asked me which drive I wanted to use as the boot-drive while installation and I chose my ssd. The other ones are normal hds. And by the way... I even often installed different operating systems on different drives, like Windows on drive 1 and Linux on drive 2 and it never was a problem... grub has always been configured automatically without any problems. So what am I missing?
You are clearly then missing grub. Though it is strange as it should normally report an error when installation of it fails.
Can you checke/try booting the other hdds then and see if it by mistake installed itself into the mbr of some other drive?
I tried booting from the other disks, but grub just wasn't there. So I tried to install a diffrent distro (Zorin in this case) with the same settings and it loaded grub without problem. So now I don't know what's the problem.
I tried again and this time I manually partitioned the drive instead of choosing "Replace a Partition". Now it worked... even choosing the same setup like the installer would do automatically. That is strange...
Pages: 1 2