Maui Forums

Full Version: No avatars on login screens
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
No avatars on login screens

https://i.imgur.com/rQIb4Vw.gifv

Affectionately annoyed me is why there is a place for the avatar to a login screen avatars no. I look Manjaro there exists avatar but Neon and Maui 2 avatars not exists.
I've been chasing a rabbit, from a bush appeared a wolf.
Quote:Wiki Arch
Changing your avatar

You can simply put a png image named username.face.icon into the default directory /usr/share/sddm/faces/. Alternatively you can change the default directory to match your desires:

/etc/sddm.conf

[Theme]
FacesDir = /var/lib/AccountsService/icons/

You can also put a png image named .face.icon at the root of your home directory. However, you need to make sure that sddm user can read that file.
Note: If avatar images are symlinks, you need to set proper file permissions to the target files.

In Maui avatar was not a png file than jpg, when I changed file png avatar it worked, plus when it sets the avatar system asks password.
If the avatar not png file will work if the /usr/share/sddm/faces/ or /var/lib/AccountsService/icons/ not put the name so Instruction says care
only .face.icon

Now we come to the Neon distribution, cutting-edge distro under the patronage kde.org. Putting png avatars does not change a thing, just some of their scripts
bad and when set new avatar is not prompted for a password on it is probably important to some studies somewhere where ordinary mortals can not.
Other variant I edit
/etc/sddm.conf
and write
[Theme]
FacesDir = /home/username
We like the option to typing .face.icon

Now I wonder how many of these omissions, inconsistencies have in any distro. whay png file is not matter to lock the screen,
do not mind the shutdown to display the avatar a matter to logout.

As I assumed, login manager SDDM not planned for several usera. I open my new user a bet on the same avatar as well as the old, although I loged as a new user and sets another avatar.
So it's like to constantly reinvent the wheel, each LTS new login manager. They grumble is that they SDDM dispute all in QML, where more binary codes, forgotten ...
KDM, GDM, MDM, Slim, lxdm, LightDM, SDDM long ... and now I wonder how many of them really work properly?
MDM was in an early stage of Ubuntu and then suffered in the reincarnation Mint 17, I remember it from the Ubuntu by retyping some famous two words (and the words are already there), and then it work properly.
Just go to System Settings -> User manager, click on the avatar icon besides your user and select a picture. It will set it correctly, also for the login screen.
(1st December 2016, 15:04)rocky7x Wrote: [ -> ]Just go to System Settings -> User manager, click on the avatar icon besides your user and select a picture. It will set it correctly, also for the login screen.

This is not true. Only if the image is in png format to work im Maui 2. If the image is not in png format does not work. If the image is not in png format must be defined path in the etc/sddm.cof. Poor writing English but if you understand the Neon is not it does not work with eni format of avatar. The neon should be defined where directs the avatar etc/sddm.conf. I have described is that if you have 2 User avatar will be the same although they are not the same. I do not write for nothing, I tried everything. Read Arch documentation that I have quoted and try jpg, jpeg...
Then it is an upstream bug. You can use gwenview to save the jpg file as png. So basic conversion as a workaround should work for you.
(2nd December 2016, 22:51)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]Then it is an upstream bug. You can use gwenview to save the jpg file as png. So basic conversion as a workaround should work for you.

It's no problem to do the conversion in png format.
Code:
convert rose.jpg rose.png.
I saw many login page where there is no avatar, people do not know that avatar must be in png format. The bigger problem is when there are 2 users and have their different avatars, login screen shows the same 2 avatars Big Grin

Login screen, lock screen, logout screen use the same avatar. There must be a strict rule that all use the png format. Lock screen, logout screen work with jpg and jpeg an avatar.
Indeed I just realized that after upgrade to 5.8.3 I also don't have the avatar in login screen even though the .face.icon is in png format. Probably a bug indeed.
Have you tried changing your folder and .face.icons permissions?
Code:
$ chmod o+x ~/
$ chmod o+r ~/.face.icon
(6th December 2016, 14:58)AJSlye Wrote: [ -> ]Have you tried changing your folder and .face.icons permissions?

Code:
$ chmod o+x ~/
$ chmod o+r ~/.face.icon

I tried everything I read on the Internet. There is also a bizarre proposal to assign the avatar execute privileges. Maui 2 works if there is a avatar png, Neon does not work, it must define the path to the avatar.

The bigger problem is when there are 2 users and have their different avatars, login screen shows the same 2 avatars. SDDM the specific user.

The logic, if there are 3 users must login to read through SDDM 3 avatars, lock screen only one avatar, logout only one avatar...
Yes, I know. SDDM runs as it's own user and requires read privileges to the avatars to display them. There are a couple of ways to accomplish this, one is to use the access control list (ACL) to give SDDM permission to read the parts of the filesystem it needs (usually system defined), as well as to each users directories and avatars (usually needs the user to define), the second is to specifically give your user directories, avatars and links read permissions by all other users, and third is to use the SDDM default of putting your avatar png image renamed as {username}.face.icon under /usr/share/sddm/faces/.

Note: As far as I know Debian and Ubuntu do not have ACL enabled by default.
Tried it, doesn't work. Also tried to add the user sddm to my own user group in /etc/group - doesn't work. Now, with this, sddm definitely has access to my .face.icon file, but doesn't show it. It did prior to the 5.8.3 update though...
Pages: 1 2 3 4