Maui Forums

Full Version: No login sound
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have lost the nice login sound !! (Maui 1 / KDE 5.8.3)
Today I noticed it but searching in my brain, I am almost sure that the login sound disappeared after the "big" update from KDE 5.8.2 to 5.8.3 (backports).
I checked all the relative to the above problem settings in system settings and there are all ok !
My sound is ok , system sounds are ok , I can listen to them except the login sound during the login procedure . Testing the sound (plasma workspace / new session) is ok too ! (/usr/share/sounds/desktop-login.ogg)
It seems like when I login , the system don't start with a new session but , in "system settings/startup and shutdown/Connecting and disconnecting session desktop" I have chosen to start with an empty session .
Anyway , it is a so minor issue....but , behind the very little problem may be hiding something bigger....
Thanks
Me too -- i miss it Sad  
You need a script. In System Settings / Startup and Shutdown, click "Add script" and navigate to the script.

My script is very simple:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
#
#  - kept in ~/sbin
#
#  - uses paplay to run a logon sound
#
#

paplay /home/andy/system/Anna_Ternheim_Beethoven_Intro.ogg

Note that paplay won't accept mp3, paplay -h will list the formats it accepts.
(28th December 2016, 7:38)Zelator57 Wrote: [ -> ]You need a script. In System Settings / Startup and Shutdown, click "Add script" and navigate to the script.

My script is very simple...

I couldn't get this script to work as is. Used the sound file as fanisatt had and I changed the script as follows:

Code:
!/bin/bash

sleep 10

#
#  - kept in ~/sbin
#
#
#

paplay /usr/share/sounds/desktop-login.ogg

I saved the script I created in Kate under the name 'start_sound.script' and set under Properties/Permissions 'Is Executable.'

I then setup the script as Zelator57 had stated, navigating to "System Settings / Startup and Shutdown, click "Add script" and navigate to the script."

I had to uncomment the first line in the script so that bash would open and run it.
With my system the sleep delay of 10 is just right for the sound to start just as the desktop appears.

I am sure there is another way to do this, but this is the first script I've messed with in Linux. I'm still a bit of a newbie and I had to work at  this a little bit to see what would do it for me.
(28th December 2016, 9:16)iamkneo Wrote: [ -> ]
(28th December 2016, 7:38)Zelator57 Wrote: [ -> ]You need a script. In System Settings / Startup and Shutdown, click "Add script" and navigate to the script.

My script is very simple...

I couldn't get this script to work as is. Used the sound file as fanisatt had and I changed the script as follows:

Code:
!/bin/bash

sleep 10

#
#  - kept in ~/sbin
#
#
#

paplay /usr/share/sounds/desktop-login.ogg

I saved the script I created in Kate under the name 'start_sound.script' and set under Properties/Permissions 'Is Executable.'

I then setup the script as Zelator57 had stated, navigating to "System Settings / Startup and Shutdown, click "Add script" and navigate to the script."

I had to uncomment the first line in the script so that bash would open and run it.
With my system the sleep delay of 10 is just right for the sound to start just as the desktop appears.

I am sure there is another way to do this, but this is the first script I've messed with in Linux. I'm still a bit of a newbie and I had to work at  this a little bit to see what would do it for me.

Sorry, yes, you would refer to the file you wanted played.
Systemsettings>notifications...
Click on accessibility.....
Find and click on plasma workspace
Click on login
Click play a sound
You can then find login sounds in usr/share/sounds
Press apply, and make sure you have sound notifications turned up in kmix or pavucontrol , if you have it installed.
(28th December 2016, 12:17)Pliny.D.Elder Wrote: [ -> ]Systemsettings>notifications...
Click on accessibility.....
Find and click on plasma workspace
Click on login
Click play a sound
You can then find login sounds in usr/share/sounds
Press apply, and make sure you have sound notifications turned up in kmix or pavucontrol , if you have it installed.

I tried that initially, but it didn't work. Presumable because I pointed it to my mp3 file, to which it did not object. It does work with the ogg version when played from System settings. But not on startup, while the script did. But then I have a problem with startup - the login screen stays up and I have to go through Ctrl/Alt/F2, login, Ctrl/Alt/F7 to get to the session. May or may not be connected. I have a separate post on that.
Many thanks to all of you !
I have checked all the appropriate user settings and there are ok here.
I can listen to any other system sounds except the login one !
As I have already reported , this "problem" seems to be a very minor one but .... behind this it is probably hiding something more serious !
The most obvious problem I can assume is a KDE Plasma malfunction during the connection with or, during the creation of a new-session ! I don't really know....
This is one of the reasons I don't want to try any workaround this moment.
I hope there will be an official update to solve the problem without any side effects !