Maui Forums

Full Version: Impressions of Maui
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have not used KDE for years, but I am really impressed with Maui 2.1.  Super fast and easy to configure. This will replace Mint 18 on my box. I do have a few questions & thoughts.

-  I notice that Boot Up is a bit slow but that is the case with any distro using Xenal.  Is there any way to speed it up?

-  The streamlined Menu is brilliant and most welcome.

-  I use Private Internet Access as my VPN.  It installs correctly, but the Icon in the Menu is not what I get on the Desktop Menu.  Anyway to fix that?

-  I added the Update Manager to the Desktop Menu but I do not get an indication that updates are needed.  Could this be a bug?

-  How do I get a Clock Widget on the Desktop (preferably transparent).  The clock installs on the Desktop Menu not the Desktop.

-  Does Maui use the latest and the great like KDE Neon?  Is there a lag time for the latest improvements or should Neon Testing be enabled in Software Setting?

Great work which makes me wonder why Maui isn't more popular.

Thanks.
What do you mean by desktop menu?
The application launcher overview?

If yes it is only there for holding applications and favorites. You can't add widgets onto it.
The same goes for notifications. They usually appear above the panel near the systemtray (the icons next to the clock in the panel)

When it comes to our repositories there is a an article on our homepage which explains it pretty good.
Testing repos are not encouraged to use.
If you want the latest and greatest activate the backport reposm
We will push updates in there after they are tested by us and get the green light from us.
I wasn't clear, sorry.

I didn't mean the desktop menu.  I meant the actual Desktop.  I tried to install the Clock on the Desktop but ended up with a tiny white clock next to the digital clock.  I deleted that and tried again.  It was a simple drag and drop onto my Desktop.  Is there any way to make the clock Semi-transparent (not white)?

And as for the Boot time, any tweaks to improve that?

Thanks.
There are several boot optimizations possible.
The best would trying to find out what is causing the delays.
The command systemd-analyze blame might help you.

As for the desktop if you don't have widgets locked on the desktop you should be able to drag and drop the analog clock widget onto it.
As for transparency I think that is not configurable as it is set in the theme itself.
(9th December 2016, 21:37)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]There are several boot optimizations possible.
The best would trying to find out what is causing the delays.
The command systemd-analyze blame might help you.

As for the desktop if you don't have widgets locked on the desktop you should be able to drag and drop the analog clock widget onto it.
As for transparency I think that is not configurable as it is set in the theme itself.

I'll look into the systemd issue as time permits.

The Desktop clock appearance can be changed along with changes to the theme apparently.  But it can be done.  Just search Widgets in System Settings.

Thanks.