Maui Forums

Full Version: [Solved] - Best fstab settings for internal NTFS HDD.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As of 2 days ago after a clean-reinstallation, my Tower's SSD has a Maui partition [with internal opt & home now, no longer separate like they used to be], with the remainder [mostly] being a new encrypted /DATA ext4 partition. This arrangement is working very nicely.

My Tower has a 2nd internal drive, being a 2 TB Seagate HDD. It has LOTS of data on it, so during my recent rebuild i was very careful to tell the Ubiquity Installer to use but not format this drive. This HDD is also apparently working fine, post-rebuild. There's just one thing with it that is puzzling me a bit.

As best i can remember, before my recent rebuild, the HDD & all its directories & files showed as owned by me [which seems natural, just as i wanted]. However now, post-rebuild, the HDD & all its directories & files show as owned by root. Despite that, i seem to still have full read & write access to all my stuff on the HDD, just as if i was still the owner. Nevertheless, i feel that i do want to be the owner again, even if just "on principle" that it feels wrong for me not to be.

Stupidly i managed to lose a backup copy of the old fstab file from before my rebuild, but i do know for sure that it used to mount the HDD to /media/kdemeoz/ .  My new fstab file conversely shows:
Code:
UUID=0CD4D3773512E53F /Seagate_2TB_hdd ntfs    defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0       0

After some research today, i now have a view that changing it to this might be what i need:
Code:
UUID=0CD4D3773512E53F /Seagate_2TB_hdd ntfs    defaults,umask=007,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 0

A trial run i did in a VM seemed to confirm this, however in the real world not just a VM, my Seagate contains lots of stuff too big to backup [like my many VMs, & their ISOs, etc] so i want to be quite certain before i make this fstab edit that i'm not about to create a disaster.

My 2 questions therefore, pls:
1. Does changing the HDD mount point details pose any credible risk of my HDD data being corrupted or lost?
2. Is the proposed change right, does it have any downsides, is there anything better i should do instead?

Thanks.
BTW, https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions...ost4294313 is a bit intimidating; makes it seem that 007 would be a bad thing for me to do [even though when Ubiquity installed Maui t'other day, it picked 007 all by itself for the HDD]. Confused...
Mountpoint changing should be no problem at all.
The mountpoint options like umask is also correct if you want to create files on ntfs from your linux system. (Creates files which are world writeable/readable)
Thanks leszek, my edited fstab now happily mounts my hdd with me once more as the owner. Yay.