Maui Forums

Full Version: Solved: How to run Dolphin as root (kdesudo?)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all! This is my first post in the Maui forums, so please be a bit patient with me ;-)

I have been using Mint 18 KDE, but some things don't work there, so I try to find an alternative and Maui seems to do some things better at the moment.

What I miss: How can I start Dolphin file explorer in root mode? Mint allows "kdesudo dolphin" and here we go... When I try this in Maui I do not see any icons and Dolphin looks strange. So is there a better way?
Hi, welcome.

I tried sudo dolphin & agree that the result is missing icons. May i pls suggest an alternative way of looking at your requirement?

Rather than seeking to launch Dolphin as root, which i presume you wish to do so as to perform root actions on files & directories owned by root not you, why not actually use Dolphin's native Root Actions capability? Mint 17.x KDE has this, & i loved it, but stupidly they omitted it from Mint 18 KDE [as did also Kubuntu 16.04, KFedora 24, & even KDE Neon itself, but it's present by default & working beautifully in Maui]. This is one of the major reasons [though there's many others too] that last year i abandoned Mint KDE & came over to Maui.

You can configure Root Actions via Dolphin's Configure Dolphin menu selection:
[attachment=1166]

Thereafter, if you wish to be able to edit / copy / move / delete any root-owned file or directory, you do it via the right-click context menu in Dolphin:
[attachment=1167]

If this does not meet your needs, & you really really do want to launch Dolphin as root, then i'm sorry i can't help [but i imagine it might be some library file/s missing?]. 
Dear kdemeoz! Thank you very much! This really helps. I do not need it often, but sometimes it is simply important to have root access in Dolphin.

Best wishes for you!

Be blessed!
How can I mark this as solved?
(27th January 2017, 23:58)benit Wrote: [ -> ]How can I mark this as solved?

Scroll up to your original post, click the Edit button, pick Full, then add "Solved" somewhere in the subject line, then Submit your edit.