Maui Forums

Full Version: how to mount a partition to a folder with fstab
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
fstab seems to look a bit different than under Mint (?).

Can somebody please instruct me how to correctly add a line for a data partition to fstab so that it gets mounted to a folder "examplefolder" that resides directly in the home directory?

Thank you very much in advance!
Its the same syntax used as in Mint and other Linux distributions.

Here an example
Code:
/dev/md1        /home/my/mount/point   ext4    defaults,errors=remount-ro      0       1

Of course the filesystem like ext4 and the device /dev/md1 need to be adjusted to your case.
If you want to be ultra correctly you can also get the UUID from the device you want to mount and put
UUID=XXX instead of /dev/your_device in the first column.
The command
Code:
sudo blkid
helps you getting the UUIDs from mounted devices.
benit:
Or if its a network share, you could simply use sambamounter:
It is a tool inside the "Network" folder directly in your home directory or on your desktop.
It mounts folders automatically and permanently, so they should come up mounted even after reboot.
(27th January 2017, 14:14)starbuck Wrote: [ -> ]benit:
Or if its a network share, you could simply use sambamounter:
It is a tool inside the "Network" folder directly in your home directory or on your desktop.
It mounts folders automatically and permanently, so they should come up mounted even after reboot.

In my fstab as it was created during installation fstab line looks a bit different (maybe this is due to the fact that my boot disk is a SSD)

Code:
UUID=76e1de41-5712-4c1b-8a4e-1f19b0a1d2da /              ext4    defaults,noatime,discard 0       1

The partition I want to mount is on a conventional HDD. Up to now I used a line like this (comparable to what you wrote), but somehow this does not work. maui does not start any more (Mint would offer a skip option, maui obviously does not offer such emergency opt-out):

Code:
UUID=728e6952-6524-42b0-a95f-2f9cc6078419 /home/myname/Daten_HDD_INT_EXT4               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1

Any ideas?
Code:
defaults,
is missing before errors=remount-ro. So the line should be

Code:
UUID=728e6952-6524-42b0-a95f-2f9cc6078419 /home/myname/Daten_HDD_INT_EXT4           ext4    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
Thank you very much! I got it working even without "defaults": There was a bad little typo in one of the lines. I had copied a ' " ' and not deleted. That stopped the whole thing.

But now I have added also "defaults".

What exactly is the function of this expression?