Maui Forums

Full Version: Solved! Printer not printing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a portable Canon Pixma ip100 printer.  I connected to it via USB - no notification pops up showing me I've done this, but the printer is visible under System Settings - Printers.  It also shows in Libre Office when I go to print a document.  The printer section in System Settings shows 'printing', runs through a percentage of how much is finished, then 'rendering complete'.  It even spits out a sheet of paper.  The problem is that nothing prints.

I've tried printing a test page under maintenance.  I've tried printing a document from Libre Office.  The same thing happens in both situations.  I know it's not the printer, because I booted back into my mac and printed something from there, and it worked fine.  

I removed and re-added the printer, but still have the same problem.  It shows this driver:  Canon iP100 series - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.11.

Should I try a different driver, even though this should be the right one?  Or is there something else I'm missing?
Can you check in the printer settings if the printer is maybe set on the stopped or paused state.
I had it sometimes that it by default was set in the stopped state and I had to resume it.
If you can't find it in the graphical settings of systemsettings you might want to take a look at the cups configuration page with your browser by opening up localhost:639
(21st February 2017, 11:06)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]If you can't find it in the graphical settings of systemsettings you might want to take a look at the cups configuration page with your browser by opening up localhost:639

I think it must be localhost:631  Cool

You can check, if the service is running by:

Quote:systemctl status cups.service
You are right port is 631.
I think that Canon drivers are not in CUPS by default - you have to install them separately. Check this:

http://tutorialforlinux.com/2016/03/14/h...asy-guide/
Ok, systemctl status cups.service says this:

Quote:cups.service - CUPS Scheduler

Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/cups.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Tue 2017-02-21 18:43:36 MST; 32min ago
     Docs: man:cupsd(8)
 Main PID: 12521 (cupsd)
   CGroup: /system.slice/cups.service
           ├─12521 /usr/sbin/cupsd -l
           ├─12524 /usr/lib/cups/notifier/dbus dbus://
           └─12525 /usr/lib/cups/notifier/dbus dbus://

Feb 21 18:43:36 chelle-MacBookPro systemd[1]: Started CUPS Scheduler.

I looked on localhost:631 and it shows the printer sitting idle before I try to print.  Refreshing the page during shows it 'processing: 21% complete'.  Afterwards says, "Rendering complete".  But nothing still has printed.  The printer wakes up, shoots out a blank sheet of paper, hums and clicks a bit, then happily reports its job is finished. 

I then tried following that Install Canon Drivers tutorial and got this:

Quote:dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of cnijfilter-ip100series:

cnijfilter-ip100series depends on libtiff4; however:
    Package libtiff4 is not installed.

Synaptic says that I have libtiff5 installed, and libtiff4 doesn't exist.  Would that be the problem?  
Ah so it throws out a blank page. That's good. It actually just means the driver you use is not correct. Can you try another driver. It should show you you a list of them. And you just need to try out another one.
You can reinstall the package with dependency libtiff4 and try again. Wink

libtiff4

I hope you have cups-bjnp installed, this is needed for the most Canon Printers.
Thank you all so much! I didn't need to try using the libtiff4, or that other ppa - picking a driver from the same printer but a newer model worked (ip110 instead of ip100). Smile