Maui Forums

Full Version: Saving from Firefox - problems with image, PDF, and video files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Saving image files from Firefox has stopped working. The dialog is there but the download does not happen. I can copy and paste to Gimp.

Saving PDF files from Firefox doesn't work either. Opening and saving via Okular does work.

Video files will download via Ant, but Video Download Helper can only do the "quick download", putting the file in a directory I was using before these problems began.

I can't be precise, but this has been going on since sometime last week, I think.
Did you update to the latest mozilla-kde-support package ?
Can you try starting with a clean firefox profile and see if it works better.
You can start ff with
Code:
firefox -ProfileManager
to open up the profile manager which allows you to create a new profile and allows switching the default profile.
Quote:I can't be precise, but this has been going on since sometime last week, I think.
I've been having similar frustrations.    Hit and miss; inconsistent. 
Firefox will ask me where to download (per my preference setting); I select the folder (I've tried many): hit the Save button (it highlights) the "Save as.." screen disappears, but no download starts.

I first thought my old mouse was having a problem, so I bought a new mouse, with no change.

I tried the new profile, but it acts the same.

Very weird.
Yesterday I thought the image download had fixed itself, but today it hasn't. All it will do is download the file as the name it has chosen in the directory I was using last time downloads worked properly. If I change the file name or directory, nothing happens.
I have not tried the profile thing yet. May have to wait until tomorrow.
(27th February 2017, 12:00)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]Did you update to the latest mozilla-kde-support package ?
Can you try starting with a clean firefox profile and see if it works better.
You can start ff with

Code:
firefox -ProfileManager
to open up the profile manager which allows you to create a new profile and allows switching the default profile.

The mozilla-kde-support package is current. I tried a new profile and it behaved in the same way. Images downloaded correctly, though I only tried a couple. Video Download Helper downloaded via the "don't ask where to put it" option to dwhelper, but telling it where to go resulted in no download. Maybe this is a problem with Video Download Helper. But it did affect still images originally.
I'll try some other downloaders.
Installed Download YouTube Videos as MP4. Worked the first time but then not, nothing happens after hitting "save".
Zelator: What about the ANT downloader that comes pre-installed?
(5th March 2017, 12:22)starbuck Wrote: [ -> ]Zelator: What about the ANT downloader that comes pre-installed?

Ant works, but is far less versatile than Video DownloadHelper, only one file format, generally webm, and a predetermined destination. Which both Firefox and Ant links to come up as "The file or folder  does not exist." but is Downloads/Ant Videos.

Video DownloadHelper using the Quick Download does work, but to a directory it remembers from when it still worked properly.

I tried Video DownloadHelper on Chromium and it couldn't detect the video. "Video Download Helper" doesn't seem to download videos.

The Firefox downloads arrow no longer works, but the Tools menu link does.
I've noticed the same problem with trying to download ebooks. The Save Dialog comes up asking What Firefox should do with this file. I have 'Save File' selected, but the 'OK' button doesn't respond. That is - it doesn't highlight when I hover over it like 'Cancel' does - and when I click on 'OK', nothing even begins to download.

Open with 'whatever' still works.
To further troubleshoot this issue I would say install the vanilla Ubuntu Firefox, instead of the plazmazilla one and see if the problems are there as well. If not then the issue is in the plasma modifications. To install the vanilla Ubuntu Firefox version, go to Synaptic, find the Firefox package, hit CTRL+E and select the Ubuntu version of it.
(13th March 2017, 21:23)rocky7x Wrote: [ -> ]To further troubleshoot this issue I would say install the vanilla Ubuntu Firefox, instead of the plazmazilla one and see if the problems are there as well. If not then the issue is in the plasma modifications. To install the vanilla Ubuntu Firefox version, go to Synaptic, find the Firefox package, hit CTRL+E and select the Ubuntu version of it.
I installed the 45.0.2 version, which seems to have fixed the download problem. Synaptic then wanted to install the plasma version, so I stopped it.
Pages: 1 2 3