Maui Forums

Full Version: [Solved] - How can i PREVIEW Plasma5 GTK2 Themes?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

[attachment=1221]

I like the "oxygen-gtk" GTK2 theme, but unfortunately it's incompatible with the Pale Moon browser [crashes it]. There's many other standard themes in the Settings field dropdown menu from which to choose, but is there any way i can quickly preview the associated aesthetics, without having to actually either log-out [can't remember as i write this if that's sufficient] or having to actually reboot ... both of those methods but especially the latter, act as a big disincentive to trying-out alternatives. 
Hmmm, nobody has an opinion or suggestion. Well, searching online failed to reveal anything obvious. I haven't solved this, but i worked around it by experimenting in one of my Maui VB VMs, it being much faster & more convenient to perform multiple successive VM reboots than "real" Maui reboots (ie, i do not have to tediously close all, then later reopen all, my active docs/pgms].

From these experiments i found this:

"BAD" [PM crashes]:
carbon-gtk
oxygen-gtk

"OK" [PM-compatible]:
QtCurve
Clearlooks
Crux
Industrial

However, the "OK" themes wrt PM compatibility, stuff-up the fonts in any GTK2 pgm GUIs, eg, Thunderbird, FireJail Tools... the window fonts in these become ugly large. Conversely, the 2 "Bad" themes above, produce nice GTK2 fonts [& of course, also respect my preferred colours for windows & dialogue boxes etc, whereas the other ones leave these a boring grey].

On balance, given PM is not my default browser & i rarely use it, & given aesthetic fonts [& colours] are important to me, i mainly stick with 'oxygen-gtk" & sacrifice PM.

I continue to feel it'd be pretty nice to be able to preview the changes, instead of having to reboot, only to potentially find the changes are unpleasant & having to do it again... & again....
(21st March 2017, 11:23)kdemeoz Wrote: [ -> ]Hmmm, nobody has an opinion or suggestion. Well, searching online failed to reveal anything obvious. I haven't solved this, but i worked around it by experimenting in one of my Maui VB VMs, it being much faster & more convenient to perform multiple successive VM reboots than "real" Maui reboots (ie, i do not have to tediously close all, then later reopen all, my active docs/pgms].

From these experiments i found this:

"BAD" [PM crashes]:
carbon-gtk
oxygen-gtk

"OK" [PM-compatible]:
QtCurve
Clearlooks
Crux
Industrial

However, the "OK" themes wrt PM compatibility, stuff-up the fonts in any GTK2 pgm GUIs, eg, Thunderbird, FireJail Tools... the window fonts in these become ugly large. Conversely, the 2 "Bad" themes above, produce nice GTK2 fonts [& of course, also respect my preferred colours for windows & dialogue boxes etc, whereas the other ones leave these a boring grey].

On balance, given PM is not my default browser & i rarely use it, & given aesthetic fonts [& colours] are important to me, i mainly stick with 'oxygen-gtk" & sacrifice PM.

I continue to feel it'd be pretty nice to be able to preview the changes, instead of having to reboot, only to potentially find the changes are unpleasant & having to do it again... & again....

Hi,

No need to reboot. Just close and rerun the GTK2 program. It works like this for me. I change the theme, Apply it, close pidgin, execute pidgin and I see the changed theme immediately.
Oh! Well blimey, i clearly never thought of that. Thanks!
(15th March 2017, 3:52)kdemeoz Wrote: [ -> ]I like the "oxygen-gtk" GTK2 theme, but unfortunately it's incompatible with the Pale Moon browser [crashes it]. 

I found the solution for this... https://forums.mauilinux.org/showthread.php?tid=24492