Maui Forums

Full Version: plasma-widget-volumewin7mixer keeps dissapearing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The last two days plasma-widget-volumewin7mixer reverts back to the original volume widget. Not sure what that means. Any ideas what I should do?

Also, has anyone noticed Boot time has increased with 17.3?

Thanks.
So the panel widget for volumewin7mixer is removed on start and instead the normal volume widget is activated ?
That sounds pretty strange.
Also we did not pushed any updates. So it could not be any new package update.

Have you checked your filesystem maybe there is something corrupt.
The boot time inceasing could be related.
(19th March 2017, 16:56)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]So the panel widget for volumewin7mixer is removed on start and instead the normal volume widget is activated ?
That sounds pretty strange.
Also we did not pushed any updates. So it could not be any new package update.

Have you checked your filesystem maybe there is something corrupt.
The boot time inceasing could be related.

Well I just rebooted and the correct volume widget appears in the menu.

As for checking the filesystem, I also have Mint installed.  I booted into Mint and ran the following command in a Terminal:
fsck.ext4 -p -f /dev/sda6.  There was one bad sector which was repaired but it didn't seem to make a difference in terms of a slow boot.

Is there something else I should try?
Running sudo systemd-analyze blame might give you the culprit of the slow boot
Seems like the only culprit is the smbd service. I'm not sure what that is or if it can be disabled.

19.732s smbd.service
9.128s NetworkManager-wait-online.service
6.585s dev-sda6.device
3.044s virtualbox.service
2.669s irqbalance.service
2.613s NetworkManager.service
2.610s ModemManager.service
2.073s accounts-daemon.service
1.923s ondemand.service
1.754s grub-common.service
1.564s gpu-manager.service
1.421s networking.service
1.402s polkitd.service
1.299s systemd-logind.service
1.291s rsyslog.service
1.291s keyboard-setup.service
1.281s pppd-dns.service
1.280s systemd-user-sessions.service
1.276s thermald.service
1.224s systemd-udevd.service
1.124s lm-sensors.service
1.122s iio-sensor-proxy.service
1.097s setvtrgb.service
1.050s sddm.service
944ms apparmor.service
864ms resolvconf.service
824ms dev-mqueue.mount
824ms dev-hugepages.mount
804ms virtualbox-guest-utils.service
771ms sys-kernel-debug.mount
724ms upower.service
709ms systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service
685ms console-setup.service
633ms wpa_supplicant.service
566ms systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-1CD3\x2d7B34.service
556ms systemd-modules-load.service
539ms lvm2.service
498ms bluetooth.service
414ms systemd-journald.service
366ms systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service
250ms dev-sda9.swap
214ms sys-fs-fuse-connections.mount
212ms systemd-sysctl.service
193ms udisks2.service
190ms systemd-rfkill.service
185ms systemd-update-utmp.service
173ms systemd-remount-fs.service
171ms ufw.service

Edit: Next time I will use Pastebin. Sorry.
Smbd is the samba-server. Usually it should not take that long.
Can you try disabling it via the systemd configuration of systemsettings or using the command sudo systemctl disable smbd and see if it fixes it.
Of course only if you don't use samba server.

Also be aware of using code tags for pasted stuff in the forum for the antispam mechanism not to block or ban you.
It also helps in terms of readibility Smile
(19th March 2017, 22:03)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]Smbd is the samba-server. Usually it should not take that long.
Can you try disabling it via the systemd configuration of systemsettings or using the command sudo systemctl disable smbd and see if it fixes it.
Of course only if you don't use samba server.

Also be aware of using code tags for pasted stuff in the forum for the antispam mechanism not to block or ban you.
It also helps in terms of readibility Smile

Yup, as I said, I will use Pastebin in the future.  

When running your command I get the following:

smbd.service is not a native service, redirecting to systemd-sysv-install
Executing /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install disable smbd
insserv: warning: current start runlevel(s) (empty) of script `smbd' overrides LSB defaults (2 3 4 5).
insserv: warning: current stop runlevel(s) (0 1 2 3 4 5 6) of script `smbd' overrides LSB defaults (0 1 6).
Clearly I have no understanding how systemd works.

Thanks.
Sounds good to me. It is just that smbd is an old sysvinit script still that's why it gives you that info. That's all it should be now disabled.
(19th March 2017, 22:29)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds good to me. It is just that smbd is an old sysvinit script still that's why it gives you that info. That's all it should be now disabled.

Also as Xenial is the base for Maui, slow boot up time should be expected.  I also disabled Bluetooth, but there really was not much difference.

I appreciate your time and help.
While I love Maui, I'm not sure you guys can consider this distro as 'semi rolling'.  The update process was direct but resulted in much longer boot times.  I suspect this is due to Xenial rather than Maui.  That being said, I have had many problems with an update v. a clean install.  Perhaps using Debian v. Ubuntu may be a solution ala Deepin.

I understand this is a new distro, but the update process should be seamless, not problematic.   I will continue to use Maui but something is amiss with the upgrade process for my boot to take twice as long.  Anything that could be disabled with systemd was disabled with no difference in boot time.  Perhaps moving from Ubuntu to Debian Stretch may be an answer.

Thanks for your hard work.  I really love how Maui has streamlined Plasma into an easy to use distro and will continue to use it.
Pages: 1 2