Maui Forums

Full Version: maui upgrade from 2.1 to 17.3 - cannot reinstall plasma
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I want to upgrade to 17.3 and could successfully follow instructions till point 9 where the instructions say: " After the removal mark plasma-desktop and plasma-desktop-data for reinstallation."

My problem: "reinstall" is greyed out, I could only choose "remove".

Would that be ok? Or is this even dangerous?
That's good to know that I am not the only one who has this problem. BUT:

I am not sure, if I can do what is described here "access to synpatic by konsole, select plasma-desktop and plasma-desktop-data, again, I can't available for reinstall, I uninstall this 2 packages, also, are uninstalled maui-desktop, then, I install maui-desktop (this install plasma-desktop and plasma-desktop-data)"

I am afraid I need more precise instructions how to use synaptic by console and what to type in.

Can somebody help, please? I do not want to mess up my installation. I am in a time of high time pressure, so I cannot afford to rearrange everything from scratch.

Thank you very much!
This command should do
Code:
sudo apt-get install --reinstall plasma-desktop plasma-desktop-data
Thank you! I did try something else myself before I saw your reply: Before rebooting I used Synaptic directly to escape the console and I first checked plasma-desktop and plasma-desktop-data as well as maui-desktop for uninstall. Directly after this I checked them again for installation and then rebooted. After reboot I did not get any error message and system information looks like in the attached screenshot.

Is that fine?

How can I check with the command line, if everything went fine?
Yep if widgets appears in the big overlay launcher (kickerdash) then everything is fine Smile
I still have the problem that I cannot "drag-and-position" a simple folder view widget. When I try to resize it a bit or re-position it a small amount, it completely jumps from right screen border to the left border. Very strange. I had the hope that this behaviour was a bug that had been solved in the new plasma version.

Could it make sense to re-create this widget now? Or is the widget "renewed" automatically with the new update?
Widget should be refreshed automatically.
If this bug isn't reported already report it upstream please.
I am afraid that I have a problem now:

I wrote that everything went fine with "my" method od directly using Synaptic. BUT

after the second boot I could not login. Login screen was ok, SDD did start working for about 10 seconds, but after that no login possible and the login screen itself had all buttons deactivated then.

I thought to start again and restored my maui backup (of the 2.1 version prior to the upgrade). Unfortunately this does not boot any more, does not even start.

After checking the backup I found out that I did check only the home partition for backup, but not the root partition...
So the root partition might be in an "already 17.3" state while my home partition is in "still 2.1" state now.

Is there a realistic chance to restore maui under these conditions? Or would you recommend a fresh install to me? If so: Should I use 16.04 LTS version (2.1) for stability reasons or is 17.03 likely to be more stable, because plasma has matured considerably?

Thank you very much in advance for some advice here! Please have in mind that for my purposes I have to invest quite some hours to establish all links, shortcuts, widgets and additional installations of programs.
If you figure out what went wrong you can fix it.
So from the login screen you could reach a terminal (tty) by pressing ctrl+alt+f1 for example and login there.
From there you can take a look at the .xsession-errors file and see if it lists any error at the end which has something todo with why it does not start the desktop for you.

You could also check if plasma-desktop and plasma-desktop-data packages are really installed.
Though it would be strange that it worked before and suddenly does not.

Did you perform any other installs or removal that you can revert?
Pages: 1 2 3