Maui Forums

Full Version: [Closed, Unsolved] - Unexpected Group Change.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello

Whilst i realise there's no chance anyone can explain exactly what did happen in my case to explain this, i decided to post in case i can learn any interesting possibilities for which i can watch in future.

Yesterday when i did my weekly backup [Back In Time; thanks leszek] it completed but with errors. The same thing occurred a week ago, & the errors were the same. Last week i was too busy/lazy to investigate, but when it repeated yesterday i realised i had to. My Tower has 2 physical drives, my "primary" SSD [root & encrypted /home], & my "secondary" HDD [2TB "Seagate"; ancillary non-sensitive data, + my many VMs]. The error related to directories on Seagate.

Specifically, that part of the backup failed due to lack of access permission to a particular directory on Seagate. When i investigated i found that in fact multiple directories on that drive had the same problem. The problem was that, at some time in the recent past, all these directories had changed Group, from kdemeoz to network. All were still owned by me.

After research, i was able to correct them thus:
Code:
GA-Z97-HD3:/$ sudo chown -R kdemeoz:kdemeoz Seagate

The big question in my mind is of course; HOW did this unexpected unwanted change originally occur? Certainly i did not do it [at least, not deliberately or knowingly]. I cannot pinpoint exactly when it occurred, but indicatively it might have been only within the past few weeks [otherwise presumably my older backups also would have generated similar error messages to alert me earlier].

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just as a tangential by-the-way for amusement, yesterday really was a weird IT day for me:

Firstly i discovered this strange problem above.

Secondly as i was beginning to puzzle about what might have occurred & how would i fix it, my Android mobile phone [sitting on the desk in front of me between keyboard & monitor] suddenly woke up [illuminating its screen] thus attracting my gaze [expecting it denoted an incoming call or msg]. Instead to my amazement, i watched it activate its WiFi & start connecting to my network (i keep the phone's WiFi & Bluetooth off at all times except when i specifically need to use them]. This was frankly alarming!

Thirdly, later on, after fixing the Group problem & repeating my backups, Tower suffered another freeze. Whilst of course this upset me [for those here who recall the history], much more importantly i regard it as a valuable learning experience. A pretty consistent track record now seems to have emerged over several months that when doing heavy I/O to one specific USB stick of mine [SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB USB3], 4-6 of cpu's 8-cores max-out at 100%, & frequently eventually freeze the pc [especially if i am streaming music at the same time, as i commonly am]... cf for same operations to my Verbatim 128GB USB3 stick, this does not occur. Not all, but many/most of the more recent freezes [ie, since removing the Nvidia GPU & reverting to the Intel GPU, per separate thread] have occurred during weekly backups to this specific USB stick. I don't understand it, cannot explain it, but it is now a distinct pattern. Maybe i should stop using this stick?

So, all in all, yesterday was a pretty weird freaky IT day.
I presume that silence is its own answer, but one more try before i abandon this thread:
Quote:<<HDD>> directories had changed Group, from kdemeoz to network. All were still owned by me.

Nobody has any ideas on how that change might have occurred [not done by me]?