Maui Forums

Full Version: Dolphin Trash problem.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello

Yesterday & today something weird has happened to Dolphin's Trash folder / directory. I assume that the following misbehaviour probably would be fixed simply by logging out & in again, or else rebooting, but instead i would like to see if there's a way to fix it without needing to do either of those.

Whilst currently there a lot of files in Trash, it is very far away from being full. However, since yesterday, i can no longer delete any files from my /home [or anywhere else] by sending them to Trash [though i can still permanently delete them, bypassing Trash, if i want]. Furthermore, i cannot now empty Trash either.

When i try sending more files to Trash, this appears:
[attachment=1264]

When i try emptying Trash, this appears.
[attachment=1265]

I investigated, & found that there were both of the following:
1. /home/kdemeoz/.Trash --> is empty.
2. /home/kdemeoz/.local/share/Trash --> holds my actual deleted "trashed" files.

For comparison i then launched my two Maui 17.03 VMs [all the above pertains to my "real" Maui]. Both of them have NO #1, but do have #2.

Accordingly, back in my "real" Maui i deleted #1, but it has not helped.

What's going on here pls?
I began writing the initial post above several hours ago, but became sidetracked all day  on unrelated issues. This morning when i wrote that post [draft], /home/kdemeoz/.local/share/Trash Permissions dialog [Dolphin Properties] showed that i was the Owner, & it was in my Group.

However just now, all these hours later [& with the pc still not having been logged out or rebooted, coz it's too inconvenient for those right now], another mysterious problem has occurred; Trash's ownership & group have changed:

[attachment=1266]

This is really bonkers. BTW, it's sad nobody ever replied, but relatively recently my Tower also experienced a different but equally baffling/unexplained Group change, as i posted here https://forums.mauilinux.org/showthread.php?tid=24417.
I hoped that a chown might help, but it didn't.

Code:
kdemeoz@GA-Z97-HD3:~/.local/share$ sudo chown -R kdemeoz:kdemeoz Trash
[sudo] password for kdemeoz:

kdemeoz@GA-Z97-HD3:~/.local/share$ cd Trash
kdemeoz@GA-Z97-HD3:~/.local/share/Trash$ ls -l
total 120
-rw-rw-r--  1 kdemeoz kdemeoz   457 May 10 14:40 directorysizes
drwxrwxr-x 14 kdemeoz kdemeoz 49152 May 21 21:44 files
drwxrwxr-x  2 kdemeoz kdemeoz 53248 May 21 21:44 info
kdemeoz@GA-Z97-HD3:~/.local/share/Trash$

Those Konsole permissions now look correct for Trash [at least, now they agree with my VM Maui's], but back in Dolphin i still cannot empty Trash nor add any more deleted files to it. Sigh.
Maybe removing the whole Trash folder (I guess you don't need the files in there anymore) and recreating it might help.
Permissions should be
Code:
drwx------ 1 leszek leszek    62 Mai  6 11:37 Trash

and inside that Folder
Code:
-rw-r--r-- 1 leszek leszek  112 Okt 23  2016 directorysizes
drwx------ 1 leszek leszek 1820 Mai  6 11:37 files
drwx------ 1 leszek leszek 2500 Mai  6 11:37 info
-rw------- 1 leszek leszek   23 Dez 21 13:24 metadata
Though I think it should be enough to just recreate the Trash folder and leave the rest Plasma for handling.
After recreation you need to relogin I guess.
Thanks. Given that your suggestion also would have involved logging out & in again, which was what i had hoped to avoid but now realised it was unavoidable, i decided that before i tried your idea i would log out anyway to see if that made my already-done chown "take effect". My thinking was that if my normal Trash permissions, hence behaviour, did not return after i logged back in, then i would try your idea. Happily, after i logged out & in, everything is back to normal.

So that's good, but still weird... yesterday & today Trash went mad & lost its Permissions/Group, & per that other post, a few weeks ago my HDD [but luckily not also my SSD, which is where Maui is] changed its Permissions/Group.

Crazy.
Regarding the permission change which seems strange. Might be a broken filesystem.
Keep checking it with fsck.
If it's not an application causing this issue it can only be a broken filesystem.
(25th May 2017, 13:13)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]...Might be a broken filesystem.
Keep checking it with fsck...

Oh? Hmmm, ok, thanks. Next time i need to reboot [eg, maybe after the next kernel updates come through] i shall try to remember to boot first from my Maui LiveUSB stick then run fsck on each partition. 
Quote:If it's not an application causing this issue it can only be a broken filesystem.

Well, i've just rebooted Tower from live media & run fsck on my root, home & data partitions... all clean.