Maui Forums

Full Version: about system does not work
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello Leszek,
I performed a clean install of maui 17.03 on this laptop. I kept the basic configuration after the  installation (in french). The overall boot time is on this machine of 55 s. After the maui splash screen there is a small delay before the mouse cursor (5s).

Then I added the testing repos, and I updated to Plasma 5.10.1 and 17.04 applications. (14 pkg discarded and 20 new installed).

The overall boot time increase to 2 min. The main difference occurred after the maui splash screen where it taked 1 min to display the mouse cursor.

Mooving to a nvidia driver for the graphic card did not improve anything.

I hope this could help in the optimization of maui 17.06
Confused 
SM
Thanks this will be tested then.
Can you provide the output of.systemd-analyze blame to know what might be the case.
(14th June 2017, 9:44)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks this will be tested then.
Can you provide the output of.systemd-analyze blame to know what might be the case.

How do I do for that ?
Type it in a terminal
Code:
systemd-analyze blame
It will give you an output with the time it took every service to load during bootup.

Paste it in quotes or code tags here.
(14th June 2017, 10:03)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]Type it in a terminal

Code:
systemd-analyze blame
It will give you an output with the time it took every service to load during bootup.

Paste it in quotes or code tags here.

Here
seems rather cool !

Code:
serge@serge-pc:~$ systemd-analyze blame
         7.373s NetworkManager-wait-online.service
         7.360s apparmor.service
         6.943s dev-sda1.device
         2.405s NetworkManager.service
         2.394s accounts-daemon.service
         2.072s systemd-udevd.service
         1.855s ModemManager.service
         1.509s nmbd.service
         1.368s samba-ad-dc.service
         1.365s thermald.service
         1.304s upower.service
         1.141s polkitd.service
         1.112s keyboard-setup.service
         1.011s systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-6783ca8c\x2d158c\x2d46d1\x2d83d0\x2d906e6c6a88d4.service
         1.007s virtualbox-guest-utils.service
          948ms grub-common.service
          738ms systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service
          713ms networking.service
That looks really ok to me and really fast. So the issue must be in sddm or plasma starting itself.
Can you take a look if there are any errors in /var/log/sddm.log

So execute for example
Code:
cat /var/log/sddm.log
to get an output. If nothing is displayes it might be empty which then means it really is a plasma startup problem.

In that case can you try creating a new user and see if it's login times are faster?
(14th June 2017, 10:44)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]That looks really ok to me and really fast. So the issue must be in sddm or plasma starting itself.
Can you take a look if there are any errors in /var/log/sddm.log

So execute for example

Code:
cat /var/log/sddm.log
to get an output. If nothing is displayes it might be empty which then means it really is a plasma startup problem.

In that case can you try creating a new user and see if it's login times are faster?

So as you expected sddm.log is empty. A new user has a similar login time.
What I can tell is that when on this same machine I updated 17.03 to plasma 5.9.5 all was OK for the boot time. So for me plasma 5.10.1 seems implicated.
Installed a fresh install with plasma 5.10 and had around 24 seconds login time which seems ok to me for a first login.
On an upgraded system from sddm to desktop took me around 18 seconds. So I cannot reproduce it here.

Do you maybe have anything special in autostart that might delay loading ?
(14th June 2017, 12:37)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]Installed a fresh install with plasma 5.10 and had around 24 seconds login time which seems ok to me for a first login.
On an upgraded system from sddm to desktop took me around 18 seconds. So I cannot reproduce it here.

Do you maybe have anything special in autostart that might delay loading ?

No, nothing special in autostart, that's why I tried with a clean and fresh install on a laptop using the default configuration (at the exception that I used separate partitions for / and /home)
I made a attempt with my macbook pro from17.03 to plasma 5.10.1 and at the boot I had a lag time 45 s (black screen) between the splash screen and plasma desktop. With 17.03 the overall boot time is 15 s. I am back to 17.03 for the macbook pro. In this case I did not formated my home partition to allow an easy recovery of my data. So in my case two different machines exhibit this behaviour.
Sorry for the problem.[Image: confused.gif]
SM
It is strange indeed. We will have an eye out for it when preparing the next release and upgrades. Though I cannot guarentee anything especially if the problem seems to only be on some devices it gets really hard to debug
Pages: 1 2 3