Maui Forums

Full Version: SANE problem SOLVED
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,

Xsane recognizes my scanner. But there is still a problem. Please have a look at the attached picture. When I have started Maui fresh I can scan the thumbnail. But when I try to start the real scan afterwards the attached notice appears: "Reading error. Error during device I/O". What can I do to make my scanner working again?
Kind regards,
Sigurd
What if you try direct scanning instead of preview scan right from the start?
(29th July 2017, 16:05)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]What if you try direct scanning instead of preview scan right from the start?

Hi leszek,
After start of Maui I can do 1 preview or 1 scan. Then I get the message about the error during device I/O. Afterwards I get this message immediately and no scanning I can do anymore. SANE version 1.0.27 is installed.
Kind regards,
Sigurd
Could be a driver issue that it is blocking further access to the device which is a bit strange. Are you sure that you have correctly setup the correct driver for this scanner or was it automatically choosen?
If yes maybe try changing to another driver and see if it helps.
(30th July 2017, 15:02)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]Could be a driver issue that it is blocking further access to the device which is a bit strange. Are you sure that you have correctly setup the correct driver for this scanner or was it automatically choosen?
If yes maybe try changing to another driver and see if it helps.

Hi leszek,
With Maui 17.03 and the version before I had to install the repository of Rolf Bensch to get the driver for my Canon Pixma MG 5750 Scanner/Printer. At this time the driver already was ready but not yet integrated into the recent SANE version. So I added the repository of Rolf Bensch after installation of Maui 17.06. But now I found on the list of completed and integrated drivers that the driver for the MG 5700 series is in the recent SANE version integrated. Can it be now that I have two versions of this driver installed (1 came with Sane of Maui 17.06 and 1 came with the repository of Rolf Bensch)? And these two drivers cause the problem? How can I find out and correct it to only one working driver?
One screenshot shows the Synaptic Package Manager line for Sane-utils and the other screenshot shows the Update Manager package source of Rolf Bensch.
Kind regards,
Sigurd
You only have one version of sane installed and ubuntu only ships version 1.0.25 instead of 1.0.27 so that should not be the issue. In fact if it worked on 17.03 there should be no problem with making it work on 17.06 as we use the same ubuntu base system here. The only big change was the kernel (besides the usual plasma upgrades)
So maybe try installing the older kernel and see if it works with this.
(31st July 2017, 12:44)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]You only have one version of sane installed and ubuntu only ships version 1.0.25 instead of 1.0.27 so that should not be the issue. In fact if it worked on 17.03 there should be no problem with making it work on 17.06 as we use the same ubuntu base system here. The only big change was the kernel (besides the usual plasma upgrades)
So maybe try installing the older kernel and see if it works with this.

Hi leszek,

I have installed Maui 17.06 complete new. So all about SANE is new installed and back to what Maui 17.06 brings with. My scanner is not recognized by SANE. As you said, with Maui 17.06 comes SANE 1.0.25+git... (please have a look at the attached picture "Scanner installed version"). The scanner list for SANE version 1.0.27 (http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-CANON) shows my scanner CANON Pixma MG 5700 series listed as completed (please have a look at the attached picture "Scanner List"). With the new version 1.0.27 my scanner should be recognized and work. 
How do I install the new version of SANE? Do I have to use the website of Rolf Bensch? If yes, which repository do I have to add [ a) ppa:rolfbensch/sane-release  or b) ppa:rolfbensch/sane-git ]? Or is there another way?

Kind regards,
Sigurd
We don't offer sane 1.0.27 so yeah I guess if the ppa ships the stable 1.0.27 release use that (the a) one)
(7th August 2017, 13:39)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]We don't offer sane 1.0.27 so yeah I guess if the ppa ships the stable 1.0.27 release use that (the a) one)

Hi leszek,
I think I once got the link to the website of Rolf Bensch from you. But I'm not sure.
I installed the repository 
@page { margin: 2cm } p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 120% } a:link { so-language: zxx }
After a restart the update manager came with two updates. One was about SANE version 1.0.27. But I got an error message. Please have a look at Screenshot_1. I quit the update manager and initiated a restart. After restart the update manager still showed the availability of the update for SANE version 1.0.27. I started the procedure again. And I got the message shown in Screenshot_3. I closed the message and the installation procedure continued. Now there was no error message. I restarted the computer and XSANE is working fine. Is this a little bit weird?
I wish the next version of Maui will include SANE 1.0.27.
Thank you for your help.
Kind regards,
Sigurd
(7th August 2017, 13:39)leszek Wrote: [ -> ]We don't offer sane 1.0.27 so yeah I guess if the ppa ships the stable 1.0.27 release use that (the a) one)

Hi leszek,
I think I once got the link to the website of Rolf Bensch from you. But I'm not sure.
I installed the repository  After a restart the update manager came with two updates. One was about SANE version 1.0.27. But I got an error message. Please have a look at Screenshot_1. I quit the update manager and initiated a restart. After restart the update manager still showed the availability of the update for SANE version 1.0.27. I started the procedure again. And I got the message shown in Screenshot_3. I closed the message and the installation procedure continued. Now there was no error message. I restarted the computer and XSANE is working fine. Is this a little bit weird?
I wish the next version of Maui will include SANE 1.0.27.
Thank you for your help.
Kind regards,
Sigurd
Pages: 1 2