Maui Forums

Full Version: What is the proper way to update system to the latest release
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
OK I was able to 'force' a newer version of kcm-about-extended' from within Synaptic.  (That was something new for me.)  My about page now shows that I am using Plasma version 5.10.2 with kde apps 17.04.2, frameworks 5.35 and Qt 5.7.1.  So everything appears to be updated.  (Although my OS Version still shows Mauil 17.03.  I assume this remains unchanged since that was the original install version?)

However, my boot time is still slow.  Searching the forums I found the 'systemd-analyze blame' command and ran it with
the following results:  

Code:
$ systemd-analyze blame
        30.192s NetworkManager-wait-online.service
          979ms systemd-rfkill.service
          565ms dev-sda1.device
          419ms nmbd.service
          359ms samba-ad-dc.service
          299ms smbd.service
          296ms upower.service
          225ms networking.service
          224ms accounts-daemon.service
          224ms ModemManager.service
          194ms gpu-manager.service
          166ms console-setup.service
          145ms NetworkManager.service
          144ms systemd-logind.service
          130ms systemd-udev-trigger.service
          110ms avahi-daemon.service
          109ms minidlna.service
          106ms grub-common.service
          103ms snapd.service
           98ms virtualbox-guest-utils.service
           97ms ondemand.service
           97ms irqbalance.service
           94ms keyboard-setup.service
           89ms virtualbox.service
           74ms systemd-journald.service                                                                                                                                                                                          
           73ms lm-sensors.service                                                                                                                                                                                                
           69ms udisks2.service                                                                                                                                                                                                  
           65ms apparmor.service                                                                                                                                                                                                  
           63ms lvm2.service                                                                                                                                                                                                      
           60ms iio-sensor-proxy.service                                                                                                                                                                                          
           60ms thermald.service                                                                                                                                                                                                  
           45ms colord.service                                                                                                                                                                                                    
           41ms polkitd.service

I'm not sure if I am reading this correctly, but it appears that my Network Manager is taking 30 seconds to boot.  Any suggestions.

EDIT: I just realized there were a few more lines in that list but I don't expect they are a concern since they were very short times at the bottom. 

I also just saw in another post that others have had that long delay with the Network Manager.  In the other post you mentioned there was nothing that could be done about that.  Is that still correct or is their something we can do here. 

My boot times are about 1 1/2 minutes with a SSD drive.  I thought I was closer to 30 seconds before the update.  But I can't be sure.
first if all yeah versiion number will not change. (at least as long as you don't change it yourself)
When it comes to the boot time analyze I think it makes sense to take a look at the critical-chain.
So execute systemd-analyze critical-chain that should give a nice tree view of the network-manager service showing which other service is causing the delay.
Did you already. check the other threads about the delay regarding the sddm issue with virtualbox-guest-* installed?
Might be worth removing the virtualbox-guest-* packages.
Thanks for the response. Here are the results of systemd-analyze critcal-chain. A couple things pop up there, but not sure what they all mean.

I never came across the virtualbox-guest issue. I'll look into that. I do use virtualbox and the guest additions.

I've also noticed Plymouth doesn't work and I am unable to change the plymouth splash screen. So it could have been something with the recent plymouth update as well.

Thank you for your time.

Code:
systemd-analyze critical-chain
The time after the unit is active or started is printed after the "@" character.
The time the unit takes to start is printed after the "+" character.

graphical.target @22.850s
└─multi-user.target @22.850s
  └─smbd.service @22.601s +248ms
    └─nmbd.service @22.198s +387ms
      └─network-online.target @6.807s
        └─NetworkManager-wait-online.service @1.047s +5.759s
          └─NetworkManager.service @883ms +150ms
            └─dbus.service @856ms
              └─basic.target @851ms
                └─sockets.target @850ms
                  └─snapd.socket @835ms +14ms
                    └─sysinit.target @833ms
                      └─apparmor.service @766ms +67ms
                        └─local-fs.target @765ms
                          └─run-user-1000.mount @2.117s
                            └─local-fs-pre.target @235ms
                              └─systemd-remount-fs.service @225ms +8ms
                                └─systemd-journald.socket @104ms
                                  └─-.slice @92ms
So the delay seems to come from the samba package. If you don't need a samba server just remove the samba to get rid of this delay.

When it comes to plymouth what does
Code:
sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth
show you? Can you choose the plymouth theme from there? If yes please don't forget to rebuild the initrd with
Code:
sudo update-initramfs -u
so that the plymouth splash also shows at boot.

Hope that helps Smile
It appeared I was able to change the plymouth theme from that command, but when I booted, I still have no plymouth splash. Just a black screen with a cursor in the corner.

Does virtualbox use Samba to communicate to guest. If so I would need samba for that. Otherwise all my systems run Maui and I think I should be able to connect them in some other way.
Quote:It appeared I was able to change the plymouth theme from that command, but when I booted, I still have no plymouth splash. Just a black screen with a cursor in the corner.

Did you update the initrd aswell?

Quote:Does virtualbox use Samba to communicate to guest.
Depends on how you set it up. If you want to access from a non Unix like guest your host you might need samba though I think virtualbox does not use the samba server on your system but simulates a samba share for the host.

virtualbox-guest-dkms and virtualbox-guest-x11 packages btw. are only necessary if you run Maui inside a virtualbox as guest. It has nothing to do with when you have it as host system.
I did run the init as well.

I am running windows inside my virtualbox. So I'm not sure if it was using samba or not.

Good to know that virtualbox guest is for when Maui is a guest. I wiil remove them now and see what I get.
I removed virtualbox guest additions with

Code:
sudo apt-get purge virtualbox-guest-*

That did seem to speed things up. I ran the config plymouth commands again to make sure I ran the init. But I still don't have plymouth. But atleast my boot time is improved. That was my biggest issue. But if you have any ideas on Plymouth I'd be happy to give them a try.
Thank you again.
Can you take a look if the splash keyword is set in /etc/default/grub it should be a option in the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT besides quiet

If it itsn't please add it. Don't forget to run
Code:
sudo update-grub2
after to really update the entry in the bootloader itself.
It was not in there. Which seems weird. I was sure it was before.

Another interesting item I did see was the the line that says
Code:
resume=UUID=981d7837-68e9-412f-8aa7-e862fa0169c3"

Is that normal? It seems strange to me.
Here is my full grub

Code:
GRUB_THEME="/boot/grub/themes/maui/theme.txt"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet  resume=UUID=981d7837-68e9-412f-8aa7-e862fa0169c3"
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="Maui"

GRUB_TIMEOUT="2"
Pages: 1 2 3