Maui Forums

Full Version: Help needed: Windows 10 Update destroyed my DualBoot - Grub rescue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Yesterday I made an obligatory "big update" with Widows 10. My notebook has Windows 10 and maui 17.06 as well as KDE Neon and Mint 17.03 remains (not used any more).

The Win update required several reboots, but those did not work of course as Grub is in between to allow me to boot either Windows (more and more rarely thanks to maui) and maui.

I get the following error message on the screen:

Code:
error: file (one special character missing here that I do not know to type with my rescue environment Parted Magic 2017) /boot/grub/x86_64-efi/normal.mod' not found.
Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue> _

I have a backup made from maui 17.03 with fsarchiver that includes MBR/GPT. Could I "just" restore the MBR/GPT from that? Or would Windows boot no longer then? I have also a backup of EFI partion as well as of the other first Windows partitions. So this is much more than nothing.

As far as I know it could also be possible to use chroot somehow, but I have no experience with this and due to the dual boot I would not like to mess up something.

Thank you very much for helping! I have to prepare urgent presentations, so any help is welcome.
You can use Super Grub2 disk:
http://www.supergrubdisk.org/super-grub2-disk/

With this, you can access to your Maui (or KDE or mint...) and restore your grub.

Its very easy for use.