Maui Forums

Full Version: Maui - future
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(31st March 2018, 15:06)seany Wrote: [ -> ]
(27th March 2018, 15:47)zhaba Wrote: [ -> ]and I've been checking out Netrunner, (the Ubuntu version was fine), and Neon, but the stuff I need will not install.

Such as? Some software from AUR conflict with the netrunner Arch version, but which ones are causing you a truoble, if i may ask?

I need to have Smart Notebook, which is white board presentation software, https://education.smarttech.com/products/notebook. There are .deb and .rpm packages for it, but the linux version is no longer maintained and only available as 32bit. I have managed to install it on Maui and Kubuntu based Netrunner, with some effort, and I know it installs easily on openSuse and Rosa. However the Debian based Netrunner is a non-starter as is Neon, dependency hell right from the get-go. Smart Notebook is essential for work and linux alternatives, such as Open Board, are not compatible with work's Windows 10 environment.
(22nd April 2018, 22:10)solnce Wrote: [ -> ]
(31st March 2018, 15:04)seany Wrote: [ -> ]
(28th March 2018, 12:16)solnce Wrote: [ -> ]I would be interested with new FHS only, because 99.99% Linux distro are following the same old path and have no big success in desktop area.

Okey, then help me? I have a few ideas .. i experimented a bit with Linux From Scratch. I would like to improve my creation

Why don't you join Gobolinux? They have done very decent job bringing this idea to life and they are planning new release this year (with up to date kernel, KDE 5 etc). They definitely need more working hands. 

In my honest opinion, Linux lacks Desktop user oriented idea and strong organisation behind to evolve into decent desktop OS. I am using linux as desktop os, but it is faraway from being ready for non professional user, and lighting years away from being competitor to Win/Mac. Linux is very good as server os, in other words as command line OS, but as soon as you boot into graphical interface problems starts. I can name hundreds of them, but not that is the curse. Endless forking of deb/*untu/*hat/arch does not provide substantial improvement in quality. The other problem too radical philosophy regards proprietary software/drivers does not add value to Linux as desktop OS. Desktop user does not care proprietary or not, paid or not, user cares if it works or not out of the box, most linux stuff does not. Other, in my opinion, it is  lack of business model (in broader understanding, not just how to make money) is the biggest obstacle for Linux to evolve into  real desktop os. If you do not agree, take a look at who is paying for Linux development? Do not tell me that Linux is for free, it is not. If you can get it for free, it means that someone has already paid for that. Currently Linux development is financed by big big corporates (here is a list: https://www.linuxfoundation.org/membership/members/), these are mainly interested in linux as server os. Who is paying for Linux as Desktop development? Mainly private people per distro donations, that have no power to influence it is development in any way. If you cannot control the ship, how do you suppose to reach the shore?  Confused

I believe, if linux wants to achieve something in Desktop market, it should adopt radical changes and start from attitude, it should have organisation behind its back, have set goals, organise resources in more meaningful way, be more centralised, standards compliant and proprietary software friendly. Gobolinux is one of very good examples how linux can evolve, but this distro is not more than just a hobbyist project, its development is fragmented.

That is my personal opinion.

I can see where you are coming from if you're talking about a new user. However, I have used linux at home starting around 2005 and exclusively since around 2008. It works pretty much spot on for me. I can see where the problem arises if you have to work with some particular software for work and it's not available. I guess I'm lucky...the company I work for we use SLES11 for our products so I use linux for work and home.
The handful of times I've had to use some windows software I've been able to get it working on WINE but sometimes I'm out of luck and have to use my coworkers windows laptop.
I use to be a linux "evangelist" and now I just don't care anymore what other people use or whether linux can be used by the masses. My selfish opinion is that I don't want the everyday moron to be using linux as then the devs would have to dumb it down and we would have virus hell all over the place. Let them use their windows and mac machines for the rest of time for all I care. Linux works almost perfectly for me.
Pages: 1 2