Maui Forums
Nice black screen [solved] - Printable Version

+- Maui Forums (https://forums.mauilinux.org)
+-- Forum: Maui Support (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+--- Forum: Installation (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=83)
+--- Thread: Nice black screen [solved] (/showthread.php?tid=23860)

Nice black screen [solved] - BubbaBlues - 19th August 2016

I downloaded and burned Maui onto a dvd and it boots into a black screen with a mouse pointer.I pay 60 dollars a month for internet and am
limited to 10 gigs per month. I just wasted 2 of them on this. I'd be embarrassed to release something like this.

RE: Nice black screen - Pliny.D.Elder - 22nd August 2016

(19th August 2016, 23:44)BubbaBlues Wrote: I downloaded and burned Maui onto a dvd and it boots into a black screen with a mouse pointer.I pay 60 dollars a month for internet and am
limited to 10 gigs per month. I just wasted 2 of them on this. I'd be embarrassed to release something like this.

Does it get to the desktop?
If so you can try ALT+F2
type in  "plasmashell" ...without quotes
Press "run plasmashell"
You could also try burning it to a USB
Instructions can be found on site http://forums.mauilinux.org/showthread.php?tid=23847

RE: Nice black screen - tattoovampire - 23rd August 2016

(19th August 2016, 23:44)BubbaBlues Wrote: I downloaded and burned Maui onto a dvd and it boots into a black screen with a mouse pointer.I pay 60 dollars a month for internet and am

Never assume that problems you may be experiencing apply to everyone, and then slam the developers. That's not the way to get help. People here will assist but posting here with an attitude isn't the way to go about getting said help.

That's not to say this first release is bug-free, but telling the people behind the scenes that they should "be embarrassed" is pretty crappy.

My two cents.
Angel

RE: Nice black screen - BubbaBlues - 24th August 2016

I tried f2 during boot Ii never get passed a black screen. The pointer moves with the mouse but
everything else is just black.

You're right tattoovampire, I should be more patient, but every gig of bandwidth is valuable
to me. :/

RE: Nice black screen - Pliny.D.Elder - 25th August 2016

(24th August 2016, 13:33)BubbaBlues Wrote: I tried f2 during boot Ii never get passed a black screen.  The pointer moves with the mouse but

You're right tattoovampire, I should be more patient, but every gig of bandwidth is valuable
to me
I take it you can get to the bootscreen !
If so press TAB
Where it starts with "linux" use arrow keys to get "quiet splash"
and add "nomodeset" without the quotes
press F10 and hope!
Not sure if it is still relevant.
Are you booting from disk or DVD?

RE: Nice black screen - BubbaBlues - 26th August 2016

(25th August 2016, 9:55)Pliny.D.Elder Wrote:
(24th August 2016, 13:33)BubbaBlues Wrote: I tried f2 during boot Ii never get passed a black screen.  The pointer moves with the mouse but

to me
I take it you can get to the bootscreen !
If so press TAB
Where it starts with "linux" use arrow keys to get "quiet splash"
and add "nomodeset" without the quotes
press F10 and hope!
Not sure if it is still relevant.
Are you booting from disk or DVD?

I'm booting from dvd. I'll try again right now following your instructions

RE: Nice black screen - BubbaBlues - 26th August 2016

Nope, just a black screen with a white mouse pointer. It isn't like I'm using some off the
wall hardware. AMD Phenom II X 4 quad core cpu and Nvidia GTS 250 graphics Undecided
Oh well they made a nice os that works for some people I guess.

RE: Nice black screen - Pliny.D.Elder - 27th August 2016

Have you tried hitting the down arrow as the boot screen appears and tried compatibility mode ?
Might be an idea to check your DVD integrity while your at it !

RE: Nice black screen - leszek - 27th August 2016

On this blackscreen try hitting Alt+F2. If it shows krunner application launcher at the top then maybe only plasmashell failed to start.
Try opening up a konsole with krunner and execute plasmashell to see if it is working and if not post the error message here (please use quotations for this otherwise antispam measurements might ban you)

RE: Nice black screen - BubbaBlues - 28th August 2016

Ok I found the problem and as usual the problem was on me. Actually my graphics card was a
nvidia quatro (because I hadn't yet put the gts 250 in yet). So I installed the gts 250 but
while I was in it I discovered my cpu fan wasn't turning and the cpu was hot. So I replaced
the fan and booted up Maui and it all worked. Big Grin I hereby extend my humble apology to the
devs for implying that they released an inferior product when in fact it is a beautiful os.
I've installed it and can't find anything I don't like about it. Ok that's as humble as I'm
gettin'. Cool
So I don't know if it was the old graphics card or the over heating cpu (I'm leaning toward
the cpu) or both but problem solved. Thank you for your help and replies.