Maui Forums
Very Long Boot - Printable Version

+- Maui Forums (https://forums.mauilinux.org)
+-- Forum: Maui Support (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+--- Forum: Plasma Desktop (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=84)
+--- Thread: Very Long Boot (/showthread.php?tid=23990)

Pages: 1 2

Very Long Boot - iggypl - 3rd October 2016

Hi.
I`m on 4.4.0-36 kernel and I have a very long boot. It`s about 2-3 min. Is it ok? or what can I do to change it?
Regards.
iggy

RE: Very Long Boot - spacepenguin - 3rd October 2016

Sounds very long to me - what does "systemd-analyze blame" tell you?

RE: Very Long Boot - iggypl - 3rd October 2016

(3rd October 2016, 13:05)spacepenguin Wrote: Sounds very long to me - what does "systemd-analyze blame" tell you?

30.464s NetworkManager-wait-online.service
         1.262s dev-mapper-maui\x2d\x2dvg\x2droot.device
          591ms gpu-manager.service
          415ms nmbd.service
          373ms systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-f0cdaeac\x2deac3\x2d4318\x2d9757\x2ddd23c96d903d.serv
          351ms samba-ad-dc.service
          339ms systemd-rfkill.service
          285ms systemd-logind.service
          270ms upower.service
          270ms accounts-daemon.service
          269ms smbd.service
          257ms ModemManager.service
          238ms systemd-udev-trigger.service
          219ms ondemand.service
          213ms snapd.firstboot.service
          196ms lm-sensors.service
          185ms iio-sensor-proxy.service

That`s all

RE: Very Long Boot - leszek - 4th October 2016

Thats unusual. Is that a notebook or a desktop pc with wired internet connection?

RE: Very Long Boot - iggypl - 4th October 2016

(4th October 2016, 9:33)leszek Wrote: Thats unusual. Is that a notebook or a desktop pc with wired internet connection?

It`s notebook HP Pavilion, but i noticed that on kernel 4.4.0-24 it was better, when I installed 4.4.0-36 and removed 4.4.0-24 it`s a drama :-(

Can you try take a look at your default network (I guess it is a wireless connection).
Right click the network icon in the panels systemtray (the icons left from the clock) and hot configure.
Then right click and edit the default wireless connection and go to the General tab and see if All users may use ... is ticked.

If it is ticked it is basically set as system connection which means the system will try connect to the wireless network during boot which could explain why the NetworkManager-wait-online.service takes so long and delays boot.
What you could try is disabling that option which would mean it will only start trying connecting after you logged in and not during boot.

(4th October 2016, 10:58)leszek Wrote: Can you try take a look at your default network (I guess it is a wireless connection).
Right click the network icon in the panels systemtray (the icons left from the clock) and hot configure.
Then right click and edit the default wireless connection and go to the General tab and see if All users may use ... is ticked.

If it is ticked it is basically set as system connection which means the system will try connect to the wireless network during boot which could explain why the NetworkManager-wait-online.service takes so long and delays boot.
What you could try is disabling that option which would mean it will only start trying connecting after you logged in and not during boot.

Thanx a lot. I`ll try it later.
regards

RE: Very Long Boot - caspar88 - 4th October 2016

Interested to read this as my system seems a lot slower then Netrunner 14 to boot, just timed it at 1min 40 seconds from the grub menu appearing until the desktop is ready to use.

(4th October 2016, 10:58)leszek Wrote: Can you try take a look at your default network (I guess it is a wireless connection).

Ok, so, I did it and now it`a about 1,40 min. Hmm Huh

What how is that even possible that it got longer xD
What does systemd-analyze blame show you exactly?