Maui Forums
[Solved] - My 1st Maui REISUB. - Printable Version

+- Maui Forums (https://forums.mauilinux.org)
+-- Forum: Maui Support (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+--- Forum: Plasma Desktop (https://forums.mauilinux.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=84)
+--- Thread: [Solved] - My 1st Maui REISUB. (/showthread.php?tid=24001)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

[Solved] - My 1st Maui REISUB. - kdemeoz - 6th October 2016

...& i'm Not Impressed by this shock, at all.

There's not much helpful data i can provide, other than this sequence of cascading faults:
  1. I had just installed PlayOnLinux & its large dependency cohort via Synaptic.
  2. I was getting irate that the pgm was NOT then listed anywhere visible in the Application Menu [despite, when i did this last night for a "test run" in one of my Maui VMs it all went well].
  3. Confusingly though, searching for PlayOnLinux in the Menu DID find it -- but it definitely is NOT present anywhere visible unless i do Search.
  4. Grumpily i began manually creating a launcher for it in the Menu.
  5. I was just trying to do a Konsole grep command to locate its icon, when i noticed that the mouse right-click button stopped responding, then...
  6. Cairo-Dock froze...
  7. I went to System Monitor to kill C/D, when it [S/M] froze...
  8. Spitting chips now [that's Australian for "really pissed off"] EVERYTHING else froze, except that i could continue to move the mouse [but not do anything with it as by now all buttons were dead] & my live-streaming music via Clementine kept working fine [this was now very eerie, having a dead desktop but still great music].
  9. Ctrl+Alt+F1 took me out of that desktop shell but did NOT produce a CLI, simply a black screen.
  10. Ctrl+Alt+F8 did not return me to my desktop, but i think another, though the screen was all-black i could see it was backlit [but my monitor's indicator light went out, implying it received no signal].
  11. Ctrl+Alt+F7 did return me to my desktop; though the screen was still all-black i could see it was backlit AND my monitor's indicator light came back on, AND the bloody music resumed!!!
  12. Realising by now that the fight was lost & i might as well give up [knowing that all my open docs & pgms were by now buggered], i issued the REISUB rescue, which succeeded. That's the only minor victory in this alarming incident; ie, at least i did not have to do my final, nuclear, option of the hard reset.
Has this happened to anyone else, either with P5.7.5, or our new 5.8.0? 

I certainly hope there's not going to be many more of these shocks [& i STILL dunno why PoL as installed by Synaptic was / is playing hide-&-seek from me in the Menu, prior to this mess beginning]. This stuff occasionally happened to me in Mint 17.x KDE4, & i expected to have left it behind by my leap to Maui.    Sad

RE: My 1st Maui REISUB. - kdemeoz - 6th October 2016

What a Really Crap IT / Maui day it's been!! I've hardly done anything i'd planned today, but instead have been almost continuously fighting Maui. I am so bitterly disappointed, frustrated & confused; what on earth has gone so wrong with it? Problems include:

1. This morning's cascading failures resulting in REISUB

2. Every single time thereafter that i ran PoL, something went bananas with the mouse pointer control & window focus. & the fault continued even after PoL was closed. The right-mouse button would consistently stop working, & when trying to select specific windows on a desktop, the wrong windows would randomly capture focus & be very   s l o w   to give it up again. Many times there was simply no way to proceed, so many times i tried logging out & in again, which exposed the next set of failures, being...

3. ...since upgrading to 5.8.0 [though it did sometimes happen in 5.7.5], i've now learned that there's NO POINT in even bothering to log out & in again, if i'm trying to recover from some mad plasma misbehaviour, because... each time i logged back in, KWin would fail, with a "best-case" of destroying the system tray audio widget [its icon would be replaced by a small triangle which when clicked generated a blank popup, ie, impossible for me to control sound], then when i clicked on any other task bar items, the bar would entirely vanish, OR the "worst-case" post-login of the task bar never appearing at all. On these [MANY REPEAT] occasions, i found i simply had to reboot to recover, BUT...

4. ...sometimes Maui would never complete the reboot steps, leaving the screen blank after exiting the session, but then apparently getting stuck... REISUB had to be done again.

5. Conky is in System Settings' Startup list, but never ever does auto-start after boot up; i always have to manually start it.

6. As per separate thread of mine, since 5.8.0 the Activity Manager now only shows black blank spaces instead of the wallpapers.

7. When still in 5.7.5, there was definitely one occasion, & possibly two, when Maui reverted my chosen NVIDIA binary driver 370.28 to the X.Org Nouveau driver. Since 5.8.0, it stays "permanently" on Nouveau... i try to make the NVIDIA one "stick" but each time i select it then click apply, it seems to refresh the driver list then reselect the Nouveau --> UPDATE:   I just tried again after typing the preceding text, & it finally accepted my change... but that was at least my 4th attempt.   --> UPDATE2; nope, after then closing Settings Manager & reopening it, then re-entering the Driver Manager, the damn thing has yet again reverted to Nouveau. Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Some of the problems did arise before 5.8.0, but my sense is that most have come since 5.8.0... & indeed wrt the crazy mad mouse/windows misbehaviour, that seemed to arise specifically after installing PlayOnLinux, & MyPhoneExplorer within it.

What an exasperating no-productivity day it's been.  Sad

RE: My 1st Maui REISUB. - leszek - 6th October 2016

The 7th point is normal I guess as it tries picking up the current running driver.
Just take a look at My Computer and see which driver is in use.
The driver manager is only good for installing the driver not so much for determining the current driver in use

RE: My 1st Maui REISUB. - rocky7x - 6th October 2016

I can just confirm the frustration: Plasma 5.8.0 broke a lot of things:
1. Panel resize doesn't work
2. Calendar widget not picking up the calendar
3. logout/login resets my desktop settings when switching Folder and Desktop views
4. plasmashell crashing when doing logout together with bluedevil
5. PIM is not usable at all in Exchange environment, though in KDE4 it worked like a charm with davmail (not problem of Plasma 5, but frustrated by it as well)...

Yesterday I've been fighting Maui the whole day as well, no productive work done, since I had to create a new user, but alas none of the issues solved :-( Already thinking about re-installing Netrunner 14.2, 'cause even though a lot of bugs have already been resolved, Plasma 5 keeps introducing new ones with every release and I cannot accept this software as production ready, even though it is called LTS.

Regarding 1. I can confirm this. Moving the panel around and back to its original position makes resizing work again.
I could not reproduce it on my other machine running vanilla plasma 5.8 (with breeze dark plasma theme) so it might be theme related somehow.

Regarding 2. It is still working here. Though I never used the plugin before 5.8. So maybe if you remove all calendars and readd them it will work correctly

Regarding 3. Confirmed. It is a bug in Look and Feel package that interferes here and restores the Folderview always. Switching to some other look and feel like breeze should fix it

For point 3. I created a bug report on KDE Plasmas Bug Tracker: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=370191

RE: My 1st Maui REISUB. - starbuck - 6th October 2016

rocky7x/kdemeoz: I feel your frustation related to the Rolling model, as its currently "bleeding edge" from neon side compared to a QA check like Manjaro does, but:
Dont give up yet, we are working on exactly that topic with a new repository structure, that allows for a much more riggid QA control for Maui on xenial, before we give any green light and release it, albeit with a slight delay over neon.
Any Maui 1 user will be able to switch to that QA channel, and still get the latest updates, but possibly skipping 5.8.0 zero-day releases and waiting for some fixed version 5.8.1 just 1 week later.
That will also be planned default behaviour from Maui 2 and upward releases.
It is expected to happen shortly after the release of Plasma 5.8.1, so just around the corner.

RE: My 1st Maui REISUB. - kdemeoz - 6th October 2016

(6th October 2016, 12:43)starbuck Wrote: rocky7x/kdemeoz: I feel your frustation related to the Rolling model, as its currently "bleeding edge" from neon side compared to a QA check like Manjaro does, but:
Dont give up yet, we are working on exactly that topic with a new repository structure, that allows for a much more riggid QA control for Maui on xenial, before we give any green light and release it, albeit with a slight delay over neon.
Any Maui 1 user will be able to switch to that QA channel, and still get the latest updates, but possibly skipping 5.8.0 zero-day releases and waiting for some fixed version 5.8.1 just 1 week later.
That will also be planned default behaviour from Maui 2 and upward releases.
It is expected to happen shortly after the release of Plasma 5.8.1, so just around the corner.

Thank you! That definitely sounds like a very good idea. I really DOOOOOOOOOOOO want to stay with Maui [in between the Plasmashell hassles i really do like it], but the last couple of days [especially today] have been a big shock to me. I honestly had begun to criticise myself for being foolhardy in being a relatively early adopter. I definitely do not want to go straight to "raw" Neon [i did try to play with KDE Neon, but backed away when i realised it's far too rough-edged for me], & equally i hate Kubuntu 16.04's being apparently frozen on 5.5.5, & also i bemoan Mint 18's decision to base off Kubuntu not Neon, so it's stuck on 5.6.5. When i read of the innovative Maui approach [stable Xenial base, fast Plasma5 updates from Neon but not as quickly as Neon], i thought "that seems a good fit for me". I sincerely look forward to your imminent change, & i thank you for letting us know. 

RE: My 1st Maui REISUB. - rocky7x - 6th October 2016

Kdemeoz has written exactly all the words off my heart ;-) Feeling exactly the same. As a good song from GNR goes, Patience, that is what we need right now and I will definitely give it more chance and time. Creating the QA channel is EXACTLY what I would appreciate very much and would switch to it immediately.

Just one more thing with the Look & Feel: when I switch to Breeze Dark, the desktop only lets me have the Desktop view - if I switch it to Folder view, it resets on logout/login back to the Desktop view and default wallpaper. I've just installed a vanilla Maui into virtualbox and installed all updates, so I'll check there all my bugs, if they are present there.

As for the calendar, unfortunately, I've already tried readding the calendar at least 8 times, always the same. Maybe the issue is with a specific calendar type: I'm using an ICS file as a calendar and can see it in KOrganizer without a problem.

RE: My 1st Maui REISUB. - kdemeoz - 8th October 2016

(6th October 2016, 11:19)kdemeoz Wrote: 3. ...since upgrading to 5.8.0 [though it did sometimes happen in 5.7.5], i've now learned that there's NO POINT in even bothering to log out & in again, if i'm trying to recover from some mad plasma misbehaviour, because... each time i logged back in, KWin would fail, with a "best-case" of destroying the system tray audio widget [its icon would be replaced by a small triangle which when clicked generated a blank popup, ie, impossible for me to control sound], then when i clicked on any other task bar items, the bar would entirely vanish, OR the "worst-case" post-login of the task bar never appearing at all. On these [MANY REPEAT] occasions, i found i simply had to reboot to recover, BUT...

5. Conky is in System Settings' Startup list, but never ever does auto-start after boot up; i always have to manually start it.

#3 [EDIT] -- On 2 occasions today, when i experimented with more logouts/ins, the Audio Widget was NOT destroyed, & actually worked normally. That's great... BUT... for me in 5.8.0 logouts are still no good compared to reboots, because sadly with a simple logout/in, KWallet breaks... it will not accept my password, hence all the programs relying on KWallet to supply their own passwords, fail. This is not a new fault, it's been this way since my 5.8.0 upgrade, but i forgot to include it in my earlier list.

#5 [EDIT] -- Today i found that if i remove Conky from the Autostart list, & have the "Restore previous session" option selected [which IS my normal setting], then Conky is active immediately [which is what i want, & how it used to be for me in Mint 17.3 KDE4]. The unexpected effect of having Conky in the Autostart list, was that this would actually stop it [as it was already running from the previous session]. IMO that logic is wrong; it would be better if Maui/Plasma5 would simply do nothing if an autostart-listed pgm is already running, rather than counter-intuitively stopping it.